Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hauling Bike With RV

Hauling Bike With RV

Does anyone have any experience hauling their bike with an RV? Going to retire soon and was trying to figure out the best way to haul the bike behind a Class A motorhome while also towing a car. I've seen a setup with a lift carrying the bike and the car being towed. Trying to get up to speed on how to best accomplish this task. The RV is a Class A pusher so I can't utilize the toy hauler setup one would use with a 5th wheel.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    This is probably more of a gear topic but we can get on with it and I can move it later
    The pusher is a big plus, what bike were you thinking?
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Having umpteen miles with my Airstream while observing many setups, I say good luck........not only what kind of bike; but what kind of car???.......You already own the RV???....Best I have seen is a long car hauler trailer with room for your bike.........God bless.....Dennis

Bike is a k1600gt. RV will be a 39 foot diesel pusher.

Quote Originally Posted by brprider679 View Post
    Bike is a k1600gt. RV will be a 39 foot diesel pusher.
    OK, that makes all the difference. A bike of that size will need something like this-

This is a Blue OX which is one of the premium brands. If you were trying to move a 250cc size bike- it'a a lot easier. I'm working on a carrier that will pick up all three tubes (receiver and two added frame receivers) so I can bring the TW200 along.

With the proper equipment, you will be at ease loading, unloading and transporting. There are other versions of this and some searching or at the end of the video should help.
    Remember, the bike will get filthy in the vortex behind the motorhome. A good quality cover will help. A "wing" on the roof will help but is more work.

I'll move this to gear tomorrow. Let us know how you make out
    OM
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Make sure you triple check, in fact perhaps make it a custom option, that the FRAME of the RV is designed to carry that load. Will that cause ANY kind of warrantee problems down the road????....Also, have noticed perhaps some "minimal" styles of 39 footers that have a hard time on grades with a load behind them, while others just keep on "whoooshing" along......God bless.....Dennis

Great idea there Gary......Keep going on that design.............

Bob Weis
    '04 K12RS - Hannigan Hack
    www.earplugco.com

Check out Outlaw RVs for Class A or C Toy Haulers from Thor Motorcoach. I have seen a couple on the road, and there is some good info on their website. They have many of the features I am looking for.
    Bob Smith
    1998 R1200C
    2005 Rocket III

Quote Originally Posted by brprider679 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience hauling their bike with an RV? Going to retire soon and was trying to figure out the best way to haul the bike behind a Class A motorhome while also towing a car. I've seen a setup with a lift carrying the bike and the car being towed. Trying to get up to speed on how to best accomplish this task. The RV is a Class A pusher so I can't utilize the toy hauler setup one would use with a 5th wheel.
    No experience but how a bout a large enclosed trailer that fits both the car and the bike.
    I am too poor to buy cheap stuff, I need it to last forever (tewster2)

I'm thinking you are going to want a toy hauler class A on a HD chassis (ie FL-70 or Intl.). I watched some of them go by our Sturgis Aid station along with a lot of poorly conceived RVs towing bikes/trailers/cars that reminded me of the Beverly Hillbillies. The ability to put the bike in your "attached garage" and flat tow your Wrangler will quickly become a saving grace compared to the dance involved in hoisting a big bike on the tail that lifts your front axle.

If you're going to do such a thing, spend the money up front for the best possible tractor and you won't regret it. Any class A or C is going to be an inferior platform in terms of durability, strength and capacity on all fronts when compared to a heavy duty truck and your maintenance of an A/C will be higher per mile than for a truck platform.

I read it as he has the motorhome and wants to use what he has
    The size and configuration. Should be able to do this with the correct device.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I read it as he has the motorhome and wants to use what he has
    The size and configuration. Should be able to do this with the correct device.
    OM
    Yeah, I reread the post but still don't think it'll be a good idea with a touring bike. WAY too much weight on the rear frame and a lot of the class A motor homes have frame extensions that won't take the weight of something like that. They are built to handle pulling a trailer, not carrying a big bike.

If the bike were an F I could see it but nothing like an RT/LT/GT.

If I had the ability to tow enough weight, I would use a pickup with the bike loaded in the bed (with an electric or hydraulic loader) and the pickup towed behind the diesel pusher. I wouldn't worry much about the bike - if you rode it in bad weather it likely wouldn't get any dirtier than sitting on the bed of the pickup (barring construction zones like you find on the Alcan).
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by arthurdent View Post
    Yeah, I reread the post but still don't think it'll be a good idea with a touring bike. WAY too much weight on the rear frame and a lot of the class A motor homes have frame extensions that won't take the weight of something like that. They are built to handle pulling a trailer, not carrying a big bike.

If the bike were an F I could see it but nothing like an RT/LT/GT.
    Really not a problem with a 39' diesel pusher. With my front engine gas unit- no way.
    OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Really not a problem with a 39' diesel pusher. With my front engine gas unit- no way.
    OM
    It's pretty common to see a diesel pusher carrying a large bike like a "gold wing"; but rare to see one just zooming along with that on. Totally rare to see that load and pulling a trailer. I asked early on what kind of car/vehicle he plans on carrying. I also haven't seen that he actually has the RV. I understand that he is in the planning stages to get himself set for retirement. With that, I once again advise to get an enclosed trailer for both vehicles. Over time, I have seen MANY 39' pushers pulling a trailer and making very good time down the interstate.........God bless.....Dennis