Thread: Route north from the Auto Train

Route north from the Auto Train

Does anyone have any ideas about getting to New England from the Auto Train avoiding I-95 and I-81 and DC/Baltimore traffic? Basically I'd like to get to the Tappan Zee Bridge or the other bridge at Port Jervis.

1982 R100T
    Last edited by jimmymack49; 08-18-2015 at 01:27 AM. Reason: add info

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    It's wise to skip rt 95
    I'm rusty on road conditions but may like rt 84.
    Good luck.
    Gary
    "Well they say.. time loves a hero but only time will tell.. If he's real, he's a legend from heaven If he ain't he was sent here from hell" Lowell George
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Avoiding I-95 Around DC

There is an alternative to I-95 which is a little slower, but more scenic. I made a trip from VA to NJ via the DelMarVA Peninsula. My dim old brain seems to recall going across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, then getting on US Route 13 up the DelMarVA Peninsula to Lewes, DE. Once in Lewes, I took the ferry over to Cape May, NJ, and then went north on local roads, and then the Garden State Parkway. The GSP will take you up to the Tappan Zee.

A fine trip as I recall.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    There is an alternative to I-95 which is a little slower, but more scenic. I made a trip from VA to NJ via the DelMarVA Peninsula. My dim old brain seems to recall going across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, then getting on US Route 13 up the DelMarVA Peninsula to Lewes, DE. Once in Lewes, I took the ferry over to Cape May, NJ, and then went north on local roads, and then the Garden State Parkway. The GSP will take you up to the Tappan Zee.

A fine trip as I recall.
    I've gone that way in a car and you're right, it is a good way but I was coming up I-95 from the south. This time I'll be starting from Lorton VA so it would be backtracking to get to the Bridge-Tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymack49 View Post
    I've gone that way in a car and you're right, it is a good way but I was coming up I-95 from the south. This time I'll be starting from Lorton VA so it would be backtracking to get to the Bridge-Tunnel.
    From Lorton there are no Potomac river crossings until the DC Beltway.

You could go west from Lorton and then turn north, taking Rt. 15 up past Leesburg to Point of Rocks, where 15 crosses the upper Potomac into Maryland.

That is quite a ways out of your way. I'd bite the bullet and go north on I-95 to the Beltway, cross over the Potomac on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, *then* look for a non-95 route further north.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Maybe North on I-495, east on US301, and then North on US13 to the ferry at Lewes?
    John Gamel

You don't say where you are ending up in New England. The Tappan Zee is not considered New England.
    I would do 15 up to Harrisburg pa. Then take 81 for two hours, not a bad ride, then 84 up through Ct. Then Mass turnpike to I think it 470 east around Boston and then you can connect with 95 in Portsmouth NH.
    I've toured NE a bunch of times starting out in Harrisburg. Tough to give directions without knowing where you're headed. I would certainly avoid NY or the eastern seaboard until Maine

A fine road up through CT it CT15 which is the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkway. Up here in New England, "parkway" is a term which means a road from which which trucks (big ones...not panel vans) are banned.

CT15 is a fine road with lots of curves and elevation changes. You could use I-684 from the TZ Bridge to I-84, but be ready for some brain-numbing concrete slabs along the way.

Of course, riding north on CT15 lets you stop at "Katz's Deli" in Woodbridge, CT. Get the lean pastrami...it's the best.
    John Gamel

Maine

Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    You don't say where you are ending up in New England. The Tappan Zee is not considered New England.
    I would do 15 up to Harrisburg pa. Then take 81 for two hours, not a bad ride, then 84 up through Ct. Then Mass turnpike to I think it 470 east around Boston and then you can connect with 95 in Portsmouth NH.
    I've toured NE a bunch of times starting out in Harrisburg. Tough to give directions without knowing where you're headed. I would certainly avoid NY or the eastern seaboard until Maine
    Eventually I'll be going to Bar Harbor but I'm not in a hurry. I didn't bother to mention that because I'm originally from central MA so I've been all over New England and I'm familiar with the roads there. I'm just trying to get out of Lorton and avoid the big cities and superslabs whenever possible. The Tappan Zee is just my way of avoiding NYC and I-95.

This far-west-Texas country boy needs a little help here. What is the auto train? Which rally is it going towards?? I found the TappenZee bridge, but the auto train was an elusive target.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    This far-west-Texas country boy needs a little help here. What is the auto train? Which rally is it going towards?? I found the TappenZee bridge, but the auto train was an elusive target.
    AMTRAK runs a train just below Washington, DC (Lorton, VA) to Orlando FL (and back). Drive your car/bike onto the train, head for a reserved cabin or the cheap seats, wake up the next day in Florida without being drained by the (boring) 700+ mile slab run down I-95.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Look at taking 123 north from Lorton to the Fairfax County Parkway, the FCP to US50, 50 to 15 through Leesburg to Harrisburg, PA. You will go past Gettysburg which is worth a stop. At Harrisburg, to avoid I81, take 22 (it is a little south of and runs parallel to I81). 22 eventually merges with I78 to get you to Easton. Then pick up 57 just east of Easton. It will intersect I80 which will get you to the Tappan Zee. It is not the fastest route, but avoids 95 and 81.

R/Jim

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chicota View Post
    Look at taking 123 north from Lorton to the Fairfax County Parkway, the FCP to US50, 50 to 15 through Leesburg to Harrisburg, PA. You will go past Gettysburg which is worth a stop. At Harrisburg, to avoid I81, take 22 (it is a little south of and runs parallel to I81). 22 eventually merges with I78 to get you to Easton. Then pick up 57 just east of Easton. It will intersect I80 which will get you to the Tappan Zee. It is not the fastest route, but avoids 95 and 81.

R/Jim
    Thanks, that sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.