• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

02 r1150rs annual service question.

• Thread starter rfisher56@dslextreme.com
  • Start date
R

rfisher56@dslextreme.com

Took my bike into dealer last week for annual and 6k service. Was told that bike wouldn't need brake fluid change since it was done last year. I was under the impression that fluid needs changing yearly. Is it ok to let it go 2 years? Has the linked ABS system. Bob

2 years is the proper interval...
or, like valve checks on my bikes, do it yourself whenever you feel good...

If I recall correctly the recommended interval is yearly for the lower brake system and bi-annual for the complete system, upper and lower. That being said I only do mine every 2 years. If the bike doesn't see a lot of rain don't sweat it. I have an 04 1150RS too.

Took my bike into dealer last week for annual and 6k service. Was told that bike wouldn't need brake fluid change since it was done last year. I was under the impression that fluid needs changing yearly. Is it ok to let it go 2 years? Has the linked ABS system. Bob

Sometimes there are opinions thrown about. And, unfortunately brake fluid renewal periods are model dependent.

Here's what you need to do: Supply the dealer with the last 7 characters of the vin and ask him to print out the service sheet for an annual. That sheet will give you your answer. These documents are live and are subject to change so it is important to print the latest version when you're ready for the work performed. It is possible your work recommendations may have never changed but you might as well use the latest version.

Your wheel circuits will probably call for annual renewals. ABS if you have it every 4 years. But don't take my word for it. Get a copy of the maintenance schedule.

Sometimes there are opinions thrown about. And, unfortunately brake fluid renewal periods are model dependent.

Here's what you need to do: Supply the dealer with the last 7 characters of the vin and ask him to print out the service sheet for an annual. That sheet will give you your answer. These documents are live and are subject to change so it is important to print the latest version when you're ready for the work performed. It is possible your work recommendations may have never changed but you might as well use the latest version.

Your wheel circuits will probably call for annual renewals. ABS if you have it every 4 years. But don't take my word for it. Get a copy of the maintenance schedule.
If you have the original brake hoses (Which you really should be changing, they are poor quality and go bad about now) it is annual. The replacement aftermarket teflon lined one (not BW) allow less moisture, and can go 2 years) The labor for the no longer needed annual ABS flush will pay for the cost of the lines, and they need changed, safety item.

Rod

If you have the original brake hoses (Which you really should be changing, they are poor quality and go bad about now) it is annual. The replacement aftermarket teflon lined one (not BW) allow less moisture, and can go 2 years) The labor for the no longer needed annual ABS flush will pay for the cost of the lines, and they need changed, safety item.

Rod

Hey Rod, where would be a good place to get the teflon lines?

I've got an '04 1150 GS and as I recall the factory recommendations on the brake fluid change is every year on the wheel circuits and every 2 years on the control circuit, unless you have stainless steel brake lines (as in GS Adventure), then you double the time interval.
I replaced my brake lines several years ago with Spiegler SS lines, but still change the brake fluid annually as I'm paranoid about the ABS control unit failing. If Module Master ever states they can repair the iABS I'll double the change interval.

1998 r1100rt

I don't know if they use teflon

Yes. Teflon inside, stainless steel braid, then a decorative vinyl on the outside.
Banjos are anodized aluminum and come with new aluminum crush washers.
Your existing steel banjo bolts will work but are relatively ugly compared to the new hoses.
Now is the time to consider color matching those.
I did not, because I got all "silver"; after a good cleaning the chromate finish on the bolts looked ok.
If you wait till later be sure to get new crush washers.

I have the Brembo system so Rod may have to weigh in on bleeding the air out of the ABS system.
On the Brembo modulator towers, the plumbing is arranged so that air can't stay in the tower and will eventually chase out to the bleeders at the caliper. You don't need access to the bleeders on top of the towers. Which are under the tank.
They might have some function, like maybe quick filling an empty system.

The thing about the Spieglers is they are much higher quality than OEM and are 1/3 the cost of OEM.
And since my OEM hoses failed catastrophically I feel like they let me down.
I'll probably die riding this thing so I'd just as soon they didn't fail again in the next 15 years.

I do everything once a year whether the bike really needs it or not.
Except the fuel filter that's a pain.
Oil, oil filter, air filter, bleed the brown brake fluid out, adjust the valves... well that's about it.

Yes. Teflon inside, stainless steel braid, then a decorative vinyl on the outside.
Banjos are anodized aluminum and come with new aluminum crush washers.
Your existing steel banjo bolts will work but are relatively ugly compared to the new hoses.
Now is the time to consider color matching those.
I did not, because I got all "silver"; after a good cleaning the chromate finish on the bolts looked ok.
If you wait till later be sure to get new crush washers.

I have the Brembo system so Rod may have to weigh in on bleeding the air out of the ABS system.
On the Brembo modulator towers, the plumbing is arranged so that air can't stay in the tower and will eventually chase out to the bleeders at the caliper. You don't need access to the bleeders on top of the towers. Which are under the tank.
They might have some function, like maybe quick filling an empty system.

The thing about the Spieglers is they are much higher quality than OEM and are 1/3 the cost of OEM.
And since my OEM hoses failed catastrophically I feel like they let me down.
I'll probably die riding this thing so I'd just as soon they didn't fail again in the next 15 years.

I do everything once a year whether the bike really needs it or not.
Except the fuel filter that's a pain.
Oil, oil filter, air filter, bleed the brown brake fluid out, adjust the valves... well that's about it.

Keep in mind valve adjustments have zero to do with time. Factory calls for every 6k on most models. Some will state that is excessive. Maybe they have the appropriate engineering skills behind them to state that, I don't know. Maybe they'll need adjustment, maybe not. All other items you named off will suffer no harm by annual changes/renewals. The only maybe here is the engine oil & filter. That is both time and mileage based for folks that don't ride too many miles. Factory calls for every 6k or annual if less than 6k so I would not exceed that.

I used spiegler lines, they fit very well. Visit beemer boneyard and buy a filling tool

Linky

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/abs3funnel.html

No affiliation

I use their brake pads too.

Get a quart of Dot 4. You will use most of it. Get some vinyl hose to fit the bleeders, save your paint. Don't save the leftover brake fluid. just toss it when done, it will not stay good once the seal has broken.

Easy to do.

Visit here for instructions

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/service_abs3.pdf

sounds scary, actually pretty easy

Rod

Last edited:
Back