• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Left handed threaded mirror from Motobins?????

kentuvman

This is really odd (to me).

Purchased a set of the long chrome mirrors for my R60/5 from Motobins - right mirror installed no problem.

Mirror hole in left handlebar perch is too small - rode over to the machine shop I frequent and found out the threads are left handed. I've got an email over to Motobins - this makes no sense unless somewhere along the line the perch on my bike was changed.

I like the mirrors a lot but if I have go buy a left handed tap, well, I must may have to do that.

Some of these projects I get myself into . . .:banghead:banghead

Left side mirror on /5 is same size thread as right side but IS LEFT HAND THREAD

You have a nonstandard or modified perch

Correct, left handed...that's so as the wind hits the mirror, it actually serves to tighten it up...if it was the other way, the mirror would continually loosen up.

Some of these projects I get myself into . .

Gotta tellya Bro, it's funashell to watch :lurk Personally, I'm a bar-end kinda guy.
icon_wink.gif

Gotta tellya Bro, it's funashell to watch :lurk Personally, I'm a bar-end kinda guy.
icon_wink.gif

I never thought of threading the mirror background but it sure makes sense - my r65LS mirrors don't go in like that - must be old school German engineering???

:violin

UPDATE: removed mirror that came with bike that went in clockwise - tried new mirror described above going counter clockwise and what do you know??? :D:bow

Last edited:
Back