Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 102

Thread: Warranty repair doesn't pay for everything...?

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eastern KY
    Posts
    3,356
    I just bought a 2012 G650GS that the 1st owner had the "hot start" issue with the MC. He took it(long ways to dealer and they didn't even have to go get the MC,he took it!) to the dealer of purchase in ATL(had 574k then) & they didn't do the service bulletin repair but proceeded to charge him: $21.51 oil,$17.02 filter kit,$215 "BMW Running In Check"/2.5hrs =total of $253.53. They used the wrong decompression lever,NC & 2 valve spacers,NC parts covered by warranty.
    When he took it to the dealer in Pensacola(1169kthen) they did the correct repair & there was zero $ charge & he didn't have to transport the MC to them. The MC had 1,370k on it when I bought it & has over 2,000k now & was properly repaired 2nd time, same oil used/retained in engine.
    When I saw the original bill I thought he got the shaft but kept my mouth shut.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

  2. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Kentucky
    Posts
    489

    Never been charged

    I have never been charged for parts, labor or consumables on any work that was done under warranty. And some of that work was done after warranty expired

    Louisville Harley BMW Louisville KY
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

  3. #18
    Registered User ajaxthegreater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Posts
    59

    In search of the elusive warranty statement

    I guess there is room for all opinions here, but I am most interested in looking at the vehicle warranty and what is covered by it. In pursuit of that I looked all over BMW's North America website last night and could not find a vehicle warranty, but did find one for parts and accessories buried deep in the website, which is located here:

    http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...sStatement.pdf

    This warranty for parts is quite good and runs for 24 months from the date of purchase regardless of mileage. It even covers special tools. Heck, I didn't know that! It also says that replacement parts the dealer installs are covered for 24 months or the vehicles warranty, whichever is longer, and also covers the dealers labor if he installed it. So if the dealer installs a new oil sight glass window and it starts leaking within 24 months, he's on the hook for replacing in under warranty. Not bad.

    Continuing on looking for the vehicle warranty I called BMW of North America this morning and spoke to a very nice young lady about my warranty repair. She had to speak to her supervisor and then came back and said in effect that the oil is not under warranty (??!!!???). This didn't make a lot of sense to me, but since she was just parroting back something that was told to her I did not think that further questioning would yield any benefits. I then asked if they could send me or direct me to a copy of the vehicles warranty statement. She told me I would have to go back to the dealer to ask for that. Another odd response, since the warranty is from them, the manufacturer. I am a little surprised that this is not on their website since they tout it as an industry best, a vehicle selling point.

    Anyway, I plan to be at the dealer tomorrow and will ask for this. Anybody want to bet against me that the dealer says I have to go to BMW for that??? Stay tuned...
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT and some other older junk

  4. #19
    No longer a member here
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,432
    In the motor vehicle industry, sometimes - or actually rather often - consequential damages are not being covered by the warranty

    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    This is absolutely wrong. .

    Funny how that goes. Here I say "sometimes" and "rather often" and that is supposed to be "absolutely wrong" just because in one case it doesn't apply....

  5. #20
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthegreater View Post
    I guess there is room for all opinions here, but I am most interested in looking at the vehicle warranty and what is covered by it. In pursuit of that I looked all over BMW's North America website last night and could not find a vehicle warranty, but did find one for parts and accessories buried deep in the website, which is located here:

    http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...sStatement.pdf

    This warranty for parts is quite good and runs for 24 months from the date of purchase regardless of mileage. It even covers special tools. Heck, I didn't know that! It also says that replacement parts the dealer installs are covered for 24 months or the vehicles warranty, whichever is longer, and also covers the dealers labor if he installed it. So if the dealer installs a new oil sight glass window and it starts leaking within 24 months, he's on the hook for replacing in under warranty. Not bad.

    Continuing on looking for the vehicle warranty I called BMW of North America this morning and spoke to a very nice young lady about my warranty repair. She had to speak to her supervisor and then came back and said in effect that the oil is not under warranty (??!!!???). This didn't make a lot of sense to me, but since she was just parroting back something that was told to her I did not think that further questioning would yield any benefits. I then asked if they could send me or direct me to a copy of the vehicles warranty statement. She told me I would have to go back to the dealer to ask for that. Another odd response, since the warranty is from them, the manufacturer. I am a little surprised that this is not on their website since they tout it as an industry best, a vehicle selling point.

    Anyway, I plan to be at the dealer tomorrow and will ask for this. Anybody want to bet against me that the dealer says I have to go to BMW for that??? Stay tuned...
    Please don't confuse the facts with truth or, is it the opposite? You would think NA would have warranty info posted on their web site wouldn't you? Please don't become combative. Go to your dealer and hope for the best. Every new BMW actually comes with a document stating the warranty terms. They should be able to put their hands on that doc within a matter of seconds. Rather than go to service however try F&I or whoever is in charge of the bikes documentation. The warranty doc should be within that packet of information. Of course, it's not required to be done this way...

    I have personally warrantied oil in repairs that required dropping the oil to begin with. No oil warranty if you're able to replace the part and a drop is not required.

  6. #21
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Funny how that goes. Here I say "sometimes" and "rather often" and that is supposed to be "absolutely wrong" just because in one case it doesn't apply....
    Sorry Mr. EMSimon, oil is warranty if REQUIRED as part of the repair. I've been paid many times for oil. And, I'm talking far more than "one case".

  7. #22
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    Funny how that goes. Here I say "sometimes" and "rather often" and that is supposed to be "absolutely wrong" just because in one case it doesn't apply....
    By the way, there is a separate section on the warranty submittal for consumables such as oil. Oil is not grouped in with other hard parts.

    Something else I thought of. Every state I have worked in gives dealerships certain rights in their transactions with an OEM in order to avoid the OEM from becoming overbearing and making threats. This can get complicated and I am at best partially literate in that area of law. Which basically means don't necessarily believe me. Possibly there are states that allow an OEM to non-reimburse consumables.

  8. #23
    Registered User ajaxthegreater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    Posts
    59

    I could use some help on a 2012 warranty card. Got one?

    Not trying to be combative at all, just looking for the facts. I would like to know what they are because without them misunderstandings arise when expectations are not based on facts. In this case I had a different understanding of my warranty than the dealer did, perhaps because that was my past experience and I have never seen my 2012 warranty in writing since I bought the bike used from a private party. If both parties know exactly what the warranty agreement is going in I think this is less likely to happen. That is all I am looking for here, and from the postings by others so far it seems there are many varying ideas about what the warranty covers or doesn't. So I don't think I am alone here.

    I went back through the docs for my old 2007 R1200RT and found the warranty card for 2007 USA models. I have posted it below so you know what it looks like. Does anyone have one of these for a 2012 model that the could scan and send to me? I'd like to see if there are any differences. As far as I can see the 2007 card does not make any exclusions for consumables or anything when a warranty repair is made.

    warranty 2007 BMW.jpg
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT and some other older junk

  9. #24
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by ajaxthegreater View Post
    Not trying to be combative at all, just looking for the facts. I would like to know what they are because without them misunderstandings arise when expectations are not based on facts. In this case I had a different understanding of my warranty than the dealer did, perhaps because that was my past experience and I have never seen my 2012 warranty in writing since I bought the bike used from a private party. If both parties know exactly what the warranty agreement is going in I think this is less likely to happen. That is all I am looking for here, and from the postings by others so far it seems there are many varying ideas about what the warranty covers or doesn't. So I don't think I am alone here.

    I went back through the docs for my old 2007 R1200RT and found the warranty card for 2007 USA models. I have posted it below so you know what it looks like. Does anyone have one of these for a 2012 model that the could scan and send to me? I'd like to see if there are any differences. As far as I can see the 2007 card does not make any exclusions for consumables or anything when a warranty repair is made.

    warranty 2007 BMW.jpg
    Unless I missed it nothing indicates consumables are not warranted.

  10. #25
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    937
    You should read GM the extended warranty. I have a powertrain warranty and if my engine or transmission blows up, it doesn't cover everything. fluids aren't, neither are the belts, hoses, any oil coolers or lines, spark plugs, or any of the sensors, coil and spark plug wire, etc.

    I do think they should have reset your DEI for free.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  11. #26
    BMW Rider
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    You should read GM the extended warranty. I have a powertrain warranty and if my engine or transmission blows up, it doesn't cover everything. fluids aren't, neither are the belts, hoses, any oil coolers or lines, spark plugs, or any of the sensors, coil and spark plug wire, etc.

    I do think they should have reset your DEI for free.
    Good for GM I guess, bad for the customer.

    I've warranted oil I don't know how many times. Done properly it gets approved.

    Thanks Ponch for writing! It's always good to hear from you!!

  12. #27
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    937
    Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Good for GM I guess, bad for the customer.

    I've warranted oil I don't know how many times. Done properly it gets approved.

    Thanks Ponch for writing! It's always good to hear from you!!
    In the case of the oil sight glass, I think the oil should be replaced on BMW's dime. If a waterpump went, wouldn't some cooland have to be replaced? Yes. Sometimes it's the dealer though. I had a power steering pump go out under warranty on a Ford Windstar van. They tried to sell me a power steering system flush. My response was that the fluid had to be replaced when the pump is replaced, so why do I need a flush? I continued that if it's necessary, it should be covered by the warrantied repair. It pretty much shut the service writer up. I hate when they try to up sell unnecessary stuff, probably because they don't get much for the repair from Ford and who knows if they'd even do it anyway.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  13. #28
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    1,169
    Has this forum become the place where people come to vent their spleens about alleged injustices visited upon them by evil companies?

    I swear, some of you have too much time on your hands.

  14. #29
    RT in NC
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    255
    No it comes from companies not treating their customers right and taking resposibility for their products. If they would there would be even more hungry lawyers since there would be fewer cases.

  15. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South Kentucky
    Posts
    489
    I didn't receive a copy of the warranty when I purchased my 2012 GS. I think I'll ask for one next time I visit the dealer
    Anthony S.
    2012 R1200GS

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •