• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Warranty repair doesn't pay for everything...?

I don't think anybody has said that ownership of a high priced piece of machinery would be cheap. The seller of high end equipment put themselves out there for greater scrutiny. BMW has not performed well. Before I purchased my bike I asked around a bit and got favorable beviews. I must have talked to some that have not had to deal with BMW and a defective machine. The company should be embarrased with about some of the products it sells and how they deal with their customers problems. I love the wy my bike rides but I have not been done right. If I had read this websight before purchasing I would have passed on this brand.

Look, problems are nothing more than a bump in the road. People tend to get very uptight on these things as I guess they expect perfection for their $20k or more outlay. That simply isn't the way the world works. NASA spends millions and millions (billions?) on space vehicles yet they are unable to guarantee with certainty that it will even clear the launchpad much less return from space. Your $20k becomes meaningless. I know you want to love your motorcycle and you want to think it's the best thing since sliced bread but if you ever worked in a car or motorcycle dealership you would realize how many issues can occur. It's just the way it is.

Get the bike repaired and maybe repaired again. At some point almost guaranteed you will realize the issues have gone away and you can truly love the bike for what it has to offer. Motorcycles are simply not important enough to ruin your life. I ride pretty much 7 days a week and I love motorcycling and I love BMW's in particular. If there's no snow or ice on the road I'm riding. Don't care about rain and don't care about cold, I'm riding. Don't let the small stuff take control of your life.

I don't think anybody has said that ownership of a high priced piece of machinery would be cheap. The seller of high end equipment put themselves out there for greater scrutiny. BMW has not performed well. Before I purchased my bike I asked around a bit and got favorable beviews. I must have talked to some that have not had to deal with BMW and a defective machine. The company should be embarrased with about some of the products it sells and how they deal with their customers problems. I love the wy my bike rides but I have not been done right. If I had read this websight before purchasing I would have passed on this brand.

That would be a very short sighted mistake. Rarely do you find folks bragging about wonderful bikes never giving trouble. Look around on any site, 95% bad news.
If that were truly the way things are, BMW or any company would have failed many years ago.

That would be a very short sighted mistake. Rarely do you find folks bragging about wonderful bikes never giving trouble. Look around on any site, 95% bad news.
If that were truly the way things are, BMW or any company would have failed many years ago.

:thumb A fairly universal truth. I was considering leaving my cable TV service for AT&T's U-verse. I joined a U-verse forum and after spending a few days reading various threads, I really had some concerns. In the end, the new service has been great. And that forum has been helpful whenever I have had some questions...just like our forum.

Lets keep this in perspective please. The oem had to pay for oil. Some agree that is a fail others think otherwise. But that is not a significant gripe.
My last service left a bike with 4 screws left over in the glove box i found when i got home.
Found where they went and wont use that dealer again. No biggee . No hysterical calls for the death sentence or talk about how BMW has failed the world.
They sell more bikes than ever and most peoplevare happy.
If your not great, sell it and move on.
Stop the hysterics and lets keep some perspective. This forum is for lovers of BMW with all their faults
Regards

agree to disagree

I agree with much of the prveious post. However when a $2500 + option doesn't work from day one and there are a lot of other people having the same issues it is terrible BMW keeps selling the option and doesn't care about rectifying the problem. Sorry if I don't drink the coolaide. I will not let "the brothderhood" cloud my judgement. If enough people would wake up and vote with their wallets instead of their emotions maybe BMW and other large companies treat their customers with some respect. If I can resolve the problem I will sell the bike and find something else to ride. It wouldn't ber right to dump a problem on another rider or lose money because of a defect. I am not a neophite rider. I have ridden in the hundred of thousand mile on bikes. I was was looking for a dependable quiet bike. I got the quiet. But when the bike is defective from day one my ardor is stirred. Plus BMW's representatives don't care. They say "drink some more coolaide and all will be okay." Hmm look at Germany's history. Seems the mind set hasn't changed. I will drop the issue on here but not with BMW. I didn't realize this forum was for telling each other what a great choice we made. I had hoped it was an open minded place where some help and ideas would arise.

Last edited:
Or , you could have told "that dealer" that you had a "parts residue" problem & have an issue with "that" tech when you do go back. Better to be proactive than running away at times. For all you know "that" tech may be working for the other dealer next time around? Actually this reminds me of most wrecks I rebuilt & the pile of stuff remaining(mostly weird fasteners) that I seemed to have managed to have not found a happy place for them on the car!:whistle

Lets keep this in perspective please. The oem had to pay for oil. Some agree that is a fail others think otherwise. But that is not a significant gripe.
My last service left a bike with 4 screws left over in the glove box i found when i got home.
Found where they went and wont use that dealer again. No biggee . No hysterical calls for the death sentence or talk about how BMW has failed the world.
They sell more bikes than ever and most peoplevare happy.
If your not great, sell it and move on.
Stop the hysterics and lets keep some perspective. This forum is for lovers of BMW with all their faults
Regards

I hate to say this but if your criteria was used in determining tech retention every technician in America would be without a job and there would be zero... that's right, zero people left to work on your bike. Apparently your workplace represents perfection?

/ mod hat on /

Folks, let's stop drinking anything, OK? Keep it civil or this, too, shall not pass.

/ mod hat off /

I hate to say this but if your criteria was used in determining tech retention every technician in America would be without a job and there would be zero... that's right, zero people left to work on your bike. Apparently your workplace represents perfection?
Dear Billy
Respectfully suggest you may have missed my point here. I am not suggesting anything about techs at all. I was saying trying to demonstrate if you are not happy with a service vote with your feet but dont blow a single issue out of proportion.
Best regards
Paul

Dear Billy
Respectfully suggest you may have missed my point here. I am not suggesting anything about techs at all. I was saying trying to demonstrate if you are not happy with a service vote with your feet but dont blow a single issue out of proportion.
Best regards
Paul

It depends on how quickly those feet are used. It could have been a simple error or it could have been a tech who continually makes errors. I ALWAYS want to know about our mistakes. It's a quality check as to what is going on in the department. Imperfect of course but I want to know. I have a policy where we call 100% of our service customers to verify they were happy with the work.

This very day I called to check on a job and the customer explained to me he wasn't happy. He had purchased a used bike from a 3rd party and everything checked out fine (by us) including the battery. However due to a parts issue the bike sat here almost 2 weeks and was somewhat weak at time of pick-up. Turned out customer was unhappy he was unable to start bike at some point and this required a tow. At time of pick-up I had personally started the bike and discussed the fact it was turning over slower than I would have expected but it wasn't obviously an issue given the fact bike had sat for 2 weeks.

Long story short? Customer stated the tow cost him $85 and I told him to stop by when convenient and I would give him a $85 gift certificate. He was now a happy camper. As the bumper sticker states "Stuff Happens".

I will have a warranty to read tomorrow!

Well I am a little surprised that this thread has gone in so many directions because all I ever really intended was to see my 2012 warranty and really understand what it did or didn't cover. I was not so much worried about a little extra oil expense but I did think it should have been included as part of what was necessary to perform the warranty covered repair on my bike.

In any case, Bill McConnell, the Sales GM of Denver BMW just sent me a note that he has a copy of the warranty for me to pick up. So I will have that tomorrow and hopefully be able to see what the basis for BMW's consumable exclusion policy is. And in my opinion it does need a basis, it can't just be something BMW decided to exclude from their warranty without having the language in there to support the decision. That would not be something I could accept.

Well I am a little surprised that this thread has gone in so many directions because all I ever really intended was to see my 2012 warranty and really understand what it did or didn't cover. I was not so much worried about a little extra oil expense but I did think it should have been included as part of what was necessary to perform the warranty covered repair on my bike.

In any case, Bill McConnell, the Sales GM of Denver BMW just sent me a note that he has a copy of the warranty for me to pick up. So I will have that tomorrow and hopefully be able to see what the basis for BMW's consumable exclusion policy is. And in my opinion it does need a basis, it can't just be something BMW decided to exclude from their warranty without having the language in there to support the decision. That would not be something I could accept.

We are pretty good at getting sidetracked aren't we? I need to go back to the original post and find out why I haven't already answered this question. I thought I had.

Post #21 and #22 address this issue.

Unless your state seems to say something different the oil is going to be warranty. There may be a far fetched exception here. If the approved repair calls for laying the bike over to the point where the seal can be replaced without changing the oil. Other than that it's warranty. I think the tech was mistaken and there may be a possible misunderstanding of incidental damage.

What did Bill McConnell have to say?

Back