• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

tach cable for 76 r90

I checked with the dealer who quoted me $72; now I know the dealer has to make a profit and all, but this strikes me as more than a little excessive. Can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative?

Chuck

Nothing like a good old BMW cable. I've tried aftermarket places or vintage BMW places that supposedly sell good stuff...it happened to be a clutch cable and it was pretty crummy.

I just checked BMW Hucky...also $72. There are salvage places...but you get what you pay for.

That's an amazing price by Vech...I don't see how he can sell it that cheaply when all of the other BMW parts places have it in the $70 range. I'd definitely call him first. Wow!

Just got done ordering-new ones will apparently be in next week. The price was $25.75 plus shipping; I couldn't be more pleased and thanks so much to the gentleman who made this information available to me. By way of comparison, since the speedo cable on my Honda went out during the trip, (My Second Big Trip), I ordered one of those and a new tach cable for that bike, these were each less than $20 apiece.

Thanks again.

Chuck

Chuck,

Let us know if the part is a BMW part or otherwise. If it is sold under the BMW part number we expect it to be the BMW part but there is no law that says it has to be. I totally do not think Vech would pull a fast one but the price makes me think, know what I mean? Did the Web page include a picture?

You do have to sometimes customize the large rubber grommet to make it fit right. We'll try to explain that when you have it in your hands. This is true for the right part too.

Charlie

An Econ 101 lesson is in order.

The subject is a motorcycle that was never made in large quantities, is 37 years old, and comes from Germany. In addition, 1977 was the last year BMW used tachometer cables, i.e. 36 years ago. You're lucky you can still get one as there's not much demand.

Vech has been in business a long time and could have had the cable he supplied for a long time as well. He could also have German aftermarket sources and if he does he's probably the only USA retailer that does. Capital Cycle used to have this sort of thing, but don't know current situation.

Comparison to what a Honda cable costs is apples/oranges and totally irrelevant. Little larger volume manufacturer, don't you think? Most of their stuff started out cheaper than BMWs anyway, as they're a low end of the market manufacturer and of course their sources are in the Far East.

Might want to understand the German economy a bit. Go to a McDonald's there and you'll pay the equivalent of $9 for a Big Mac. It's a little healthier economy than the USA and stuff there is pretty expensive. My experience is how sad it is to be a USA GI there as they are po' folks in that place for sure, and the cars they drive wouldn't be allowed on the roads of Germany were they not exempted and boy do they stand out. In terms of things automotive, the USA is a 3rd world country in comparison to Germany, and our "pep boys" culture indeed has us expecting really cheap, really poor quality parts. That culture doesn't exist in Germany. Thankfully, BMW and its dealers here are not adopting that approach.

Nope, $72 sounds like a quite reasonable price for the genuine part. It's a new part and just because it's for an old bike that's not worth much doesn't mean it should be a cheap part.

The point is, to me at least, it's really tiresome to read posts here bashing BMW and BMW dealers for being "expensive" and interested in excessive profits. If you're in the position of not being able to afford the German version of motorcycling, that's more your doing than it is BMW's. No problem posting seeking alternate parts sources, just leave the BMW bashing for your psychiatrist.

That's an amazing price by Vech...I don't see how he can sell it that cheaply when all of the other BMW parts places have it in the $70 range. I'd definitely call him first. Wow!

Actually for me, Vech at Bench Mark WORKS, is THE GO TO PLACE for /2, /5, and /6 parts. Not only are his prices better than just super; but his advice is patient and right on. His parts, and most are OEM, FIT.....FIT..........and work right........He is of the BROTHERHOOD, if that is an understood term by even the posers among us......Anyway, a really good guy and outfit to get service and parts from.......God bless.......Dennis

Actually for me, Vech at Bench Mark WORKS, is THE GO TO PLACE for /2, /5, and /6 parts.

Dennis -

He is definitely my first (and usually only) call for /2 and older parts. It's amazing what he has on his shelf...IN STOCK...not like any other BMW parts supplier. I really don't concern myself with the price for my older bikes. And his information on the phone is great, although sometimes he builds a Swiss-watch and doesn't really know who I am and what I can do...I guess he's just discussing things down to the lowest common denominator.

I was just shocked at the price differential on this one item. It will be interesting to see how the part works out.

An Econ 101 lesson is in order.

The point is, to me at least, it's really tiresome to read posts here bashing BMW and BMW dealers for being "expensive" and interested in excessive profits. If you're in the position of not being able to afford the German version of motorcycling, that's more your doing than it is BMW's. No problem posting seeking alternate parts sources, just leave the BMW bashing for your psychiatrist.

What is also tiresome to me is to hear you bash other members. Some of the many people that have lost their jobs recently ride Airheads too. Nothing wrong with a guy trying to save a little money and looking for advice.

One way save money is to not replace the tach cable, at least not immediately. It's not absolutely neccessary for the bike to move down the road. Unhook it from the housing and just ride the bike. Take your time and see if you can find the part at a cheaper price or until your finances are in better shape. It's generally not a part I would buy used, but you might run across a used one. I've run my /6 without a tach cable or speedo cable back when I was low on funds. Good luck with your project.

I'm kind of on the fence here. I, too, get a little tired of the constant message from Kent, especially when he throws in the "farm implement" comments. :deal But on the other hand, I have to agree with him, too. The OP did offer his opinion that the dealer price was a little excessive. Maybe. Kent's right that BMW motorcycles are a niche market so one has to expect added cost for that. In my mind, BMW does provide quality parts from their limited sourcing for things...trying to make their vendors build/supply to their standards. I stated above that I've had a bad experience buying an aftermarket cable on one of my bikes...I'll never do that again. I hear so much about finding cheaper relays that will work. Sure, they'll work, after you open it up and solder some terminals together...even then you might loose some functionality that was designed into the stock relay. I personally like to have the proper part made to a good standard. OK, I'll admit I have a Transpo voltage regulator on my /7...maybe another part of two that is not BMW-stamped.

But we do have to be smart about things. Bearings...BMW doesn't make bearings. If you know the size and specs, any good bearing house can get you the bearings for cheaper. That's probably as good as or better. But some of these aftermarket purchases are not as good as. That's what I try to stay away from. And if it's some critical part deep inside my bike...it's going to be from BMW.

Buying a BMW motorcycle will take a bit more from the owner, just because of those three letters...depending on how they want to operate. It is a personal decision afterall.

Really

I make one comment stating that I think $72 is a bit excessive and it draws this type of reaction. Sorry, but I really do think it is excessive and I know all about supply and demand and even read Adam Smith's book-The Wealth of Nations and so now, because I uttered those few words, I'm accused of bashing BMW-that's asinine! As someone already stated, a lot of people, including ourselves, have taken a hit during the Great Recession that started around 08 or so and saving a few bucks means something to us, but to hear others tell it, I guess we should just unquestionably pay whatever the dealer quotes and make no effort to save money at any time. I'm glad your finances permit you to do that, ours don't, perhaps it we should just give up the sport rather than further sully ourselves by seeking less expensive parts.

Yes, I realize that I could go without the tach, but it's my personal preference whenever possible to keep everything working. I brought up the Honda comparison because even though I love my Beemer, I'm really fond of my Honda too and with 58K on the bike, one would be hard-pressed to convince me that their products lack quality.

Most of the time this site is highly useful and helpful, but the seemingly incessant need on the part of some to have a conniption and publicly berate someone for simply having an opinion that differs from their own really serves no purpose and more importantly, benefits no one.

Chuck

Once upon a time BMW made lightweight air cooled motorcycles that were not so tall and wide that I could actually ride them.
These bikes were simple and totally owner serviceable with the tools and booklet that came with them
That is where my interest in BMW motorcycles comes from

The stuff they make now is of no use to me - too tall, too wide, too complex and too expensive to maintain and fail without ability to logically diagnose and repair on the road
They do not train their mechanics to service my airheads and /2s anymore
Dealers have almost nothing I want and are more often likely to provide wrong part or wrong advice
I have no more loyalty to the manufacturer or its dealers
I always look for a functional alternative to any BMW part before I turn to the Company or a Dealer
They get from me what they deserve - as little as possible!!

Chuck -

I wouldn't think too much of this back and forth. This discussion seems to come up every so often...I guess you just happen to be the one!!

Owning these bikes is a personal thing, and many reasons go into how we/you should proceed and support the bike. The obvious factors of cost, convenience, quality (real or perceived) all contribute to the choices that we make. Nature of any situation or hobby that we're involved in.

So hopefully you've found something that works for you and also found a good supplier...Vech is about as good as they come! Next time you ask a question or need advice, hopefully you'll just get good advice without the backscatter talk. Hopefully! :hide

Back