• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trailers and K-LT

roaislandmon

2002 K1200 LT-C 94K. I am needing any input from anyone that has towed a trailer with there K-LT. Type, Good Idea?. I am a camper and I need more room to carry my camping gear than I can put on my back seat.

Have have a 2000 K1200LTC. I tow a pop camper.

I have towed trailers with a 1971 R75/5 & a 1974 R90/6. It takes some getting use to at first, it dose not matter which bike you use.

You need to have the right hitch.

Where are you located. If you wish call me, so we can talk.

610-349-4168.

I live in eastern PA.

I live in western VA, and I am looking for a trailer before I ride to the MOA rally in Salem OR. I just got back from 3 wks in the Lake George area for Americade. I looked like the Beverly Hills Hillbilly's with my camping gear. Thanks for the info. I will try to give you a call tomorrow.

trailers

getting all ready to head to oregan with my 2000 k1200 lt with my trailer and my wife cant tell the trailer is even behind us and my wife can pack it its a shell from sears with a trailer with a swivel hitch just cant wait for another road trip

Don't have a K bike, but I do have a '78 R100/7 and really like towing.

Just be careful about the trailer you use and the hitch connection.

Don't get a trailer with small wheels, and in my opinion, don't use a "ball" type hitch.

I invented my own hitch and it works quite well. I also built my own trailer from scratch. Tows like a charm, so well, I can't even tell it is connected. I have to check mirrors to see!

View attachment 40691

I've been thinking about building my own popup, I like the idea of the larger wheels, can you elaborate on your wheel and axle setup?

I've been thinking about building my own popup, I like the idea of the larger wheels, can you elaborate on your wheel and axle setup?

I built that from scratch some 25 years ago, when I was the manager of a small machine shop (aprox. 20 employees).

The frame was 1-1/4" square tubing with about 1/16" wall. I used snowmobile leaf springs, which came with three leaves to adjust pressure.

I used alloy moped wheels that were designed to be used with small ball bearings, but having done that on a previous trailer I built, I decided I wanted to go with heavier-duty Timken-type tapered roller bearings.

So, I set up each wheel on the lathe and bored out the whole center section. then I machined a new solid aluminum center to press into them (light press using Loctite). In this new center, I machined in the various counterbores for the seal (inboard side) the two bearings, and then an interlocking hubcap on the outboard side (which seals the outside end) and then. I used a round tube (approx 1-1/8" OD with approx. 1/8" wall. I also bent it slightly in center so that the wheels would have "camber." I machined the axles out of 4140 Pre-heat treated material. to fit the bearings and inboard seal, with threads on each end for a castle nut, and then cotter pin. Finally, I machined two spacers (like the airheads have) exactly the correct length (down to .001") to space the two inner races so that they would have the correct pre-load when axle nut is tightened.

If you do build one, be sure to keep the tongue long enough because the further back the trailer is, the easier it is to trail, and it will have less tendency to "sway" side to side. The trailer I had pictured trails absolutely perfectly. No swaying or anything. Though, admittedly, I don't haul hundreds of lbs. but I keep the whole thing loaded below 150 Lbs.

If I were doing another, and going to use a "clamshell" as I did, I would first pick out the clamshell, then make the trailer frame to match. Also, keep the axle as wide as possible as its length will help in the stability. Also find high speed tires - Michelin makes them.

I didn't picture them, but I also made this trailer so the clamshell can be easily removed, and I have 4 solid oak stake body sides to put on. Makes it attractive in another way. Also, I have an oak inlay in the frame, so it also can be used as a flatbed.

I purchased the lights from a catalog trailer outfit, with the intent of having them look like part of the frame rather than have two round ones sticking out each side with a license plate bar on the bottom!

The fenders were from a small motorcycle front fender, chopped to fit my trailer, added mud flaps.

Hub caps have the BMW "roundel" machined into each one!

PM me if you would like more info.

I took this trailer on a 2,200 mile trip (including the "Tail of the Dragon" just this past May with not one negative incident. It allows full motorcycle feel (leaning, etc) without any encumbrances. It was so un-noticeable, that a few times, my heart flipped as I couldn't "feel" in attached. I calmed down when I looked in the mirrors!

Just Google trailer axles. Years ago I converted a Kwik Camp spring axle to a Dexter torsion suspension. Much smoother towing with the rubber block torsion axle. My current Bunkhouse also has a torsion suspension axle.
A ball hitch on the bike is fine, use a swivel in the trailer tongue.

Back