• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride the Gorge

Nice ride:)

Been there several times over. Its a two sided affair, Washington and Oregon and both side have views to die for. Only 3 crossovers are the main concern. Biggs, Bridge of the Gods and Hood River. US30 on the Oregon side, NOT to be missed and a NICE LOOP is starting in Vancouver, Washington Eastbound on Hwy14 to "Bridge of the Gods" crossover and back West on US30 for all the "waterfalls". US30 parallels I84 real close. This covers most of the best of the Gorge. Further East is great too, if ya have the time. A lot of folks ride the Central Oregon N. to Mt.Hood and Hood River and travel West from there. If from Salem, take the above route thru Vancouver and East Hwy14 and loop back, VERY NICE ride. Randy

It is a great place to ride. But be aware and attentive, high winds are common. Pay attention to the weather forecast. They are not too big an issue riding along one side or the other but can be a huge issue crossing on the bridges. We once continued on east to find a friendlier bridge one very high wind day.

Roughly how far is the loop? Thinking of riding it when I'm up there, as well as see everything else under the sun!

winds

There is less wind on the washington side because there is more trees, to shelter you. Portland to bridge of the gods loop is about 70mile. Bridge of the gods to Hood River is about 60 miles. Hood River to The Dalles is about 45 miles.The Dalles to Briggs is about 45 miles. Born and lived here for almost 60 years.;):wave

Don't miss it:)

This ride is so great, it SHOULD be on your bucket list for Salem Rally afternoon ride! I think the whole ride from Salem will take half a day or slightly more if you stop/ photo ops and Falls visitor center are taken in:). The WIND Surfers LOVE this place, as Paul is dead right about windy gorge. You will see plenty of water rats, sailing on kites and boards:). IF folks at the rally get wind(no pun) of this ride, it will be very popular and lots of BMWs up there. "The Bridge of the Gods" I just rode recently and its a $.50 toll bridge for bikes. So expensive, LOL. Randy

+1 to Eugene, the Gorge develops wind as much from draining the entire Columbia River Basin as anything. That drainage area does not change thru the day. But mostly just a concern crossing the bridges as others have noted...

But then I've had experience with the Washoe Zephyr between Reno and Carson City....seen semi trucks tipped over on that stretch of US395.

Have a pleasant trip! ;)

Dont miss this;

Winds or no winds, do not miss this ride, its a GREAT one of the region. Anybody with any time on a bike knows wind and how to ride in it. This place no different than so many other locales with wind around the USA. The Gorge is so beautiful, not to be missed being so close. You a wind novice, just go slower, take your time and ride with a mentor leading:). Randy

+1 to Polarbear...

And I'll be in Hood River the afternoon of the 17th, after riding the back roads of Mt St Helens, perhaps see some of you all there! ;)

Cheers!

St.Helen's info:)

The backside of this Volcano is the better views of the place and a GREAT ride getting there. I came in the backside via the C.River off Hwy14 and so on. Its a whole lot better ride and sights, less people too. Randy

Randy, by backside do you mean the east on 99, the Spirit Lake side? We'll be stopping there on our way down from Rainier to the Gorge.

East side:)

Yes, I am not sure the route numbers, but find the only road due South of Rainier, Packwood,Washington on US12 and so on. Just a short ride West of Packwood, the road (turn)South to the East side of MT.St.Helens and on South to Columbia River is EXCEPTIONAL riding:). The blow out side of the mountain is best viewed here and you get really close to it. The main visitor center is the West Entrance off Interstate 5, a long ride around to there. No road cuts through the Volcano site. I find the East best by far and the riding unreal great getting there. Coming out on Hwy14 at the Columbia River, go West to "Bridge of the Gods" cutoff and cross the C.River into Oregon and pick up US30 West along the river and ALL the waterfalls. This ride from Rainier to all I mentioned into Oregon is 5 STAR riding:). Cannot tell ya enough good about it. I camped midway between the St.Helens and Hwy14 in the forest at a private campground. Very Peaceful and quiet. Bear alert!!! Camp clean, secure foods. Randy PS; I have nice pics, BUT cannot load 'em of late, here at this forum page:(. Unknown why?

Food tip:)

There is a restaurant at that intersection/turnoff at Hwy12(left turn there, coming West from Packwood) to East side of St.Helens. Good food, as I remember and I ate there with the CEO/VP of BMWNA a while back, as I left Redmond Rally that year. He was along the same route, enjoying the sights on tour riding a GS:). Sorry, I am horrible with names, but he retired from the job since and was a nice article in BMW'ON a year or so ago about the guy. One of the few times I ever met a real cool guy from BMW Corporate, doing what we do... Randy

On the Washington side from SR 14 turn north just east of Stevenson on the Wind river Hwy. Climb up a deeply forested set of swell twisties and once the road straightens out, turn left at Curly Creek Rd, which becomes NF 90. After crossing the Lewis River turn right on NF-25 which is the paved forest service road that runs east of Mt. St. Helens. This very narrow and has many sections of broken pavement, so keep your sight-seeing to brief snapshots. DO take the spur road to Windy Ridge and the overlook into the maw of the volcano. Back on NF 25 (which becomes SR 131) north, you continue through dense forest and twisty road to Randall at Hwy 12. Stop for a burger and a coke.

Back