Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: BAD Luck:(. R1200GS

The recommended rebuild interval may be 20K miles. Unless you blow a seal or loose gas pressure I think you can go longer. Front Ohlins for my '05 GS came off the bike after 44K miles because I had a second rebuilt shock sitting in the garage. It could have gone longer. The rear Ohlins, on the other hand, needed a re-build after 34K miles. It was still working, but not as good as when new and I found myself tweaking the damping more than should have been necessary.

Maybe it's all in my head

But I'm of the opinion that ever since Ohlin's was bought out, that the quality has decreased. I read much more often about people who have their shocks leak for one reason or another.

Like Don, I too have gone to HyperPro for my shock of choice.

sdc
    Somers, NY

Just enjoying the ride.......

Ohlins does recommend rebuild every 20k. Original BMW shocks are intended to last 35K and are not rebuildable. Look at other shocks such as HyperPro, Penske, Wilburs too!
    Lisa Malachowsky
    2014 R1200GSW-low
    tripgrrl@gmail.com
    www.divenrideadventures.com

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sdpc2 View Post
    But I'm of the opinion that ever since Ohlin's was bought out, that the quality has decreased. I read much more often about people who have their shocks leak for one reason or another.

Like Don, I too have gone to HyperPro for my shock of choice.

sdc
    Didn't know this. Who bought Ohlins?

Quote Originally Posted by billy walker View Post
    Didn't know this. Who bought Ohlins?
    I was wondering the same thing? According the their website they were bought out by Yamaha in 1987. Then founder, Kenth Ohlin repurchased a 95% stake of the company in 2007. So, they were better in the Yamaha years?

Caribbean Druid
    Hmmm. I've thought about switching to some aftermarket shocks, but this makes me happy I've just stuck with the stock suspension. I push my track bike pretty hard and have a good suspension tech for that, but my GS just doesn't see that kind of hard usage. I think you've got to really punish a GS to get to the point of actually needing aftermarket shocks. As for them "looking good"...I'm past that. I wish you all the best with your shock shock. Thanks for reaffirming my decision!