• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Colorado Odyssey, Part I

S

SNC1923

Fulfilling a dream of many years, my wife Israel and I hopped on board our '04 RT on June 24th and left Bakersfield, California for Colorado Springs. We planned a circuitous route on all backroads and scenic byways (with the help of our friends Myram and Brad) through Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado. It was an epic journey with many suprises, both pleasant and otherwise. Read on for a few details and photos of our trip.

Our first day covered 400 miles through the California/Nevada desert. We made it all the way to Mesquite, Nevada where we overnighted. The next morning we crossed into Utah, and began to see some real scenery. Here's Iz in her new summer gear taking in some of what Utah has to offer.

27431302-M.jpg

Here I am in Zion, the first of five national parks we visited. Note to self: take it easy on the biscuits 'n gravy.

27431314-M.jpg

We continued on to Escalante where inclement weather had us quit early. There were black skies in every direction as far as the eye could see and quite a few lightning strikes. We checked into a hotel, ate lunch, came out and were greeted by blue skies. Learned a lesson about waiting to see what happens with the weather.

Day three we started early and were greeted by one of the many benefits of an early rise: a spactacular sunrise.

27431336-M.jpg

Our third national park in as many days was Natural Bridges. This is a bike-friendly park where all the scenery is very near where you get off your bike. Really enjoyed it here.

27431395-M.jpg

Here's Iz modeling her "winter" gear. We were advised to bring cold weather gear, which turned out to be great advice.

27431400-M.jpg

By now we've turned south on the 263 and are headed for Four Corners. We were warned to be on the lookout for an unpaved road and we soon happened upon it.

27431408-M.jpg

27436444-M.jpg

This serpentine series of gravel strewn switchbacks was a bit of a challenge for the top-heavy RT, but we made it without incident and were in good company with lots of other bikers. One of the few places we saw GSs on the trip. Giving our ride a rest:

27436449-M.jpg

The SouthWest is just FULL of scenery like this. It really was a beautiful ride.

27436454-M.jpg

We finally made it to Four Corners and took this requisite photo of the two of us standing in four states.

27436460-M.jpg

Day four we were up early again and were headed to our fourth park, Mesa Verde. Here we say some beautiful sights, including ruins of Indian dwellings dating back to 1200 a.d.

27436479-M.jpg

100 miles into our fourth day, after having visited Mesa Verde, a good samaritan truck driver approached me at a construction stop and informed me that he could see cord on my rear tire. Although I had checked them reguarly and been advised there were in good shape for the trip, this is what I found after limping into Durango.

27436528-M.jpg

Clearly we were dead in the water, so we made our way to a Mexican restaurant where we settled into some tacos, a yellow pages, and the anonymous book. It was a Monday so many bike shops were closed and of course there was no BMW dealer in this small town. We were lucky enough to find Handlebar Cycles. They did not have 170/60s (no one in town did) but they offered to air frieght one from Denver. So with the tire ordered and the bike going no where, we settled into a day of rest and sightseeing around this beautiful, historic town. Turns out we picked a really nice place to get stuck in.
The Durango Lodge was recommended by our waitress. It was walking distance from the restaurant and historic downtown, reasonablly priced, very accomodating and comes highly recommended.

27436512-M.jpg

27436520-M.jpg

27436527-M.jpg

To be continued in Colorady Odyssey, Part II

Last edited:
Back