• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Riding the Southern Appalachians and the RA Rally

Great stuff, Terence. Too bad about the bag. :(

I'll take extra precaution to secure mine, AND put contact info on them, something I've been meaning to do for years!

Very enjoyable RR. Too bad about the loss! I had one fall of my K1200 once, but somebody found it, and called my insurance agent (ins card was in the bag). I was able to pick the saddle bag up just a couple of hours after I'd lost it. Hope yours turns up.

Sorry to hear about the lost bag. Have to remember to tape a business card inside my bags..

Rt 42 in VA is a great and just about unknown road. I've shown it to a number of friends who have become fans of it. 42 goes through lots of small 2-church towns, has sweeping vistas in spots and is never boring. It gets interesting to stay on it since it tends to stop - then continue - 30 miles further on. Dufuss (my GPS) did a fairly good job of making the connections between the ends, and those diversions were often the most interesting part of my ride - tiny one lane roads that wander up and down the sides of mountains with multiple switchbacks. Great fun. We did the length of it in VA (north to south) this time heading for Asheville, then dropped down through Tennessee and picked up the BRP in North Carolina for our final leg into Asheville. Sounds like we like a lot of the same roads - 340 is another favorite, and the northern route across the top of MD is a tradition for going to Square Route, Morton's Spring Fling and Asheville.

Gravel in the corners is a real concern in West Virginia. I'm told the reason for it is - locals like pickup trucks with dual-wheel rear axles (dualies..) and they often drag the outside wheel off the edge of the pavement on corners, kicking gravel right into the ideal path for a motorcycle going around the corner. After a few disconcerting "woops" sort of sideways shifts, one learns to really be cautious and keep an eye on the road surface. You'll also find gravel at the bottom of any driveway that climbs up off the roadway, rain washes it down. I noticed the roads (both major and minor) in WV didn't seem to have as perfect surfaces as they used to (I ride in WV at least annually, usually several times a year) since Robert Bird passed on to the big congress in the sky. I suspect his replacement doesn't have the clout yet to direct the federal highway funds to WV that Bird was famous for.

Suggested WV roads (and there are MANY other great ones, but these are a few of my favorites): 66, 28, 33, 55, 219. Not a straight stretch on any of them, and some great switchback sections on many of them.

Back