• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

oops. big mistake

need help with a paint/body work problem. As everyone knows, 'skeeters here in Florida are a big problem. When I am in the garage, I have to spray myself liberally with deep woods off in order to do anything. Unfortunately, the overspray got all over the plastic bodywork on my 2012 1200rt, side cases mostly. Also unfortunately, I didn't notice it right away, so it had a chance to stick!! Now it looks like a case of a really bad paint job; like little "fish eyes" all over. I have tried Windex, soap and water, carnuba cleaner/wax, light polishing compound, all to no avail. Anyone got any ideas?

And you regularly put that stuff on your skin. .. .. .?

OFF's active ingredient is DEET, it was developed for the Army (Viet Nam)

DEET is an effective solvent,[4] and may dissolve some plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish.

See -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

At this point you might consider giving the part a "paint job" using more OFF... maybe you can get the fish eyes to connect into one surface - I joke.

Like most things that are real effective, DEET does have some drawbacks. It would be interesting to see what the concentration of DEET was in the product you used. Without seeing it, if it's a real problem, I'd get the recommendation of a high-end body shop in your area and let them take a peek.
Good luck and Welcome to the Forum. Gary

deet

25% deet. Sorry guys, don't need the sarcasm. I admitted to my stupid mistake and I'm asking for help. I don't think ruining paint on a $20,000 motorcycle is a joke.

I have repellent that is 100% DEET - it is very effective but until it dries completely it does melt vinyl and plastic. I try to be very careful where I am standing when I spray it, and wash my hands after spraying to make sure I am not leaving fingerprints in anything I might touch. I'd suggest you try rubbing compound (again) in hopes that the damage is only in the clear coat. If you cannot rub it out, you will likely need to have the affected parts repainted.

Does it look like the bug spray physically damaged the surface of the clear coat on your paint? In that case you're in for a trip to a body shop. If it's a matter of the dried bug spray adhering to the surface (like paint over-spray) you could try using a clay bar. Good luck.

Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way. I avoid DEET when I can since it ruins finishes. It's especially bad for guitars. You may need to pony up for a repaint.

I would try some detailers clay, mcguires, mothers and a bunch of others make it
Keep the clay wet with instant detailer
If this doesn't work try wet sanding as a last resort before respray
Keep your fingers crossed

25% deet. Sorry guys, don't need the sarcasm. I admitted to my stupid mistake and I'm asking for help.

Sorry you took it that way. My apologies.

Detail clays are good idea... abrasive, but not too abrasive. My guess is that the DEET has etched it's way all the way through the clear coat and into the color coat so I wouldn't expect too much.

Other Alternatives.

1 - Take them to an automotive paint shop and see if the techs can wet sand them out. It would take a deft hand and a series of fine grades (600-800-1500-2000) abrasives to get the job done. The panels would still require a fresh coat of clear to bring the surface gloss back. Again, my guess is that the DEET has etched it's way all the way through the clear coat and into the color coat so I wouldn't expect too much.

2 - Pick up a can of Krylon Fusion Clear Gloss and apply over the entire panel; the "specks" should get covered by it. If you've waxed the surface you're done, you won't get much to adhere to the surface.

3 - live with it ....

I'd go with option 1 and at least talk to the shop manager about it and have him recommend a local custom bike painter for the job.

25% deet.
I had a feeling that it was less than 100%, which is good for you. Chances are, with a little finesse, you will be in good shape. Brake fluid is kinda a bugger on a nice finish also. Good luck. OM

thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry if I seemed a little "touchy" but I'm pretty upset with my own stupidity. I thought as you got older, you were supposed to get wiser. not so. Thanks again, Don

thanks for all the suggestions. Sorry if I seemed a little "touchy" but I'm pretty upset with my own stupidity. I thought as you got older, you were supposed to get wiser. not so. Thanks again, Don
:thumb We've all been there.

I agree with the 3 ideas mentioned - adding some options
overall
- try the clay first, but agree, probably little success - the solvent has pitted the clear - but it's a cheap try
- try to rub out with a buffer and a series of polish grits from course to final finish - but the clear may get real thin by conclusion
If at that time, no satisfaction, the wet-sand is the next step. I've done that and patience resulted in success. Of course, the clear was off and I was down to color.

I'd look for something better than Krylon clear - see the automotive guys for a better product than what is available at a WalMart. I've used Dupli-Color with satisfaction - kinda.
- been there before - was resolving a scratch on my Titan Silver '07 and it was perfect, until I rushed the project and ended up raising the paint with clear coat because is was still soft.

Good luck - even a mistake can be considered a success - you've just learned how NOT to do something.

I thought as you got older, you were supposed to get wiser. not so. Thanks again, Don
Actually, as you get older, you do get wiser. That added wisdom comes from experience. Personally, though I'm sorry to hear of your problem, I'm also very happy to be reminded that Deet and cured paint aren't friends. Oddly, I actually worked with that crap in Nam and completely forgot how nasty it is.

The recommendation to visit a good paint and body shop is a good one. I was stunned to see what my local shop can do without opening a can of paint. Good luck.

Post#9, item 1, is the better answer. It needs to be looked @ with a knowledgeable eye -IN PERSON!,(and by someone thats not slathering at the prospect of an into your wallet experience) not decided via a website about AB/paint work. If your lucky it can be scuffed & cleared again, if not $$$. I once owned a Walkman that had my poncho etched into the plastic (and somewhat attached too:laugh) via Deet.
We need the "club volunteer" to spray ... well, I was gonna crack a joke but the OP is suffering enough;)

Spray vs. liquid deet;

I never knew this would do paint in! Sorry for your issue here, but I bought the wipe on liquid Deet from REI a few years ago called "Jungle juice". Its 98% Deet. I never did like the sprays anyhow, breathing it and all:(. The liquid works really good, just don't drip it on paint I see? Thanks for the heads up, as I ride Alaska next month and figure to need the deet soon enough. Funny and sad how them little critters(mosquitoes) can cause so much grief. I remember Florida and those Love Bugs too, flying all about in certain times of year. They killed paint too and we frequently sprayed Pam on our front paint panels to keep them from killing the paint. Washed it off at end of days. Good luck. Randy

Ah that sux. I would consult with a custom painter in person, not over the phone with the affected parts. He may take an interest and try to solve your problem on the spot with very little cost to you. Sounds like it would at least require three stages of compounding-polish and maybe that would not do the job. As some others suggested wet sanding may be required. Best to let a pro that has been there tackle it, lessons are sometimes expensive. Hope for the best for you.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, check into the McGuire's 3-2-1 polishing/restoration kit.

Body shop

+1

The BMW dealer did a great touch up on my wife's car (various small paint problems). Paint professionals can get it right.

Back