• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Throttle Lock?

bustedknuckles

I never realized how much I used or enjoyed the cruise-control on my old R75 until I got the new F800. I've been searching for some options and I'm looking for some advise and opinions. I've got a 2013 with the BMW factory hand-guards installed and need to find something compatible with this arrangement, (I see the Kaoko model says it's compatible on F800 with "retro-fitted 1200 hand guards" but I'm not sure if those are the same as the now-available F800Gs hand guards and I'm not ready to take a $120 guess!)

Are any of you using a throttle-lock on your F-bike, what kind and how does it work for you? Thanks in advance for any insight. -Paul

Throttle lock

I never realized how much I used or enjoyed the cruise-control on my old R75 until I got the new F800. I've been searching for some options and I'm looking for some advise and opinions. I've got a 2013 with the BMW factory hand-guards installed and need to find something compatible with this arrangement, (I see the Kaoko model says it's compatible on F800 with "retro-fitted 1200 hand guards" but I'm not sure if those are the same as the now-available F800Gs hand guards and I'm not ready to take a $120 guess!)

Are any of you using a throttle-lock on your F-bike, what kind and how does it work for you? Thanks in advance for any insight. -Paul

I do not know anything about the Kaoko "Cruise Control" other than it is probably not 'cruise control'. To retro fit true cruise control would involve more than clamping on a piece of handle grip hardware.
ThrottleMeister has just introduced a unit for the 2013 F800GT. Order carefully, as the part number is just one digit different that for the F800ST. If I recall, the P/N is AB20-H. I just installed one on my GT. Trickey part is getting it correctly set with and without the grip heat on. $140.00 satin HD with heavy end caps. I also use a $10 Cramp Buster (aka, wrist rocker) when I am too lazy to set the ThrottleMeister. Both are installed on the twist grip simulaneously.
In another note, I have over 1,500 miles on Mark Stadnyzk's MadStad 'beta' test windshield for the 2013 F800GT. Works great. I passed on a few suggestions based on my install/use experience that Mark plans to implement. Hornig (Germany) now has mirror extenders for the GT. Not necessary for MadStad windshield use but they do give you a somewhat better view aft. Although their web site lists the standoff as 5 cm (50 mm), the delivered item only provides 25 mm of standoff. 'More better' than zero standoff.
Good luck.
Grumpy...
2013 in rusty orange

I had a Kaoko on my 800ST. They lock but they are nothing compared to the cruise control, the real one.
The Kaoko would always either accelerate, or decelerate. No happy medium.
It was just another of the reasons why I decided to go back to the RT.
dc

Thanks guys, I know that nowadays bikes are available with actual electronic cruise-control but I really just want the ability to take my right hand off the grip for a few moments while cruising, I understand these types of throttle locks are not terribly accurate at retaining an exact speed for a long time but I've found a 30 second rest of the throttle hand can be a welcome thing on a long ride...

I use a Kaoko with Tourtech hand-gaurds.

I've had the Kaoko on the bike for 2 or 3 years and and am happy with the it... I use it a bunch, and have done a fair amount of long distance travel. I wouldn't want to ride without a throttle lock. A throttle lock is not cruise control, but i don't think it is that hard to regulate speed as other have stated.

Hope that helps

Pedro

Try the "Go Cruise" throttle control. Installs on any throttle grip in seconds. Very easy to use. A lot of motorcycle shops sell them, also on line at Aerostich, etc. only $20!

Wunderlich Throttle Lock

I originally purchased a Wunderlich throttle lock. It was a beautiful piece of metal and worked smoothly. But it had a fatal design flaw. It rotated in the opposite direction of the throttle when engaging or disengaging. This made for abrupt on and off, I was always chopping my throttle and making my motorcycle slow down or speed up. Very annoying. A Throttlemeister was not available for use with a handguard.

I now have a Kaoko throttle lock on my F800GS, which works with the OEM BMW hand guard. It works well. Not quite as well made but it is a bit cheaper and will not wear out.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go ahead and order the Kaoko since it nicely integrates into the handle and sounds like it works as advertised. This kind of info is what makes this forum great. Thanks again. -Paul

Does anyone know if these will fit the F800ST as well? I've looked at several of them and they're all listed for the GS/GT.

Kaoko

I have a 07 F800st with a kaoko on it. There is two locks for this machine, the differance is the type of screw in the end of the bar weight. Contact the supplier or your dealer to help you out.:wave

Thanks guys, I know that nowadays bikes are available with actual electronic cruise-control but I really just want the ability to take my right hand off the grip for a few moments while cruising, I understand these types of throttle locks are not terribly accurate at retaining an exact speed for a long time but I've found a 30 second rest of the throttle hand can be a welcome thing on a long ride...

Like you, I only need a brief chance to flex the fingers of my right hand occasionally--and then only when I am buzzing along on the slab. I find that when I am "more involved" with the throttle (i.e., constantly slowing and accelerating, as on back roads) I do not seem to need to give my right hand a break. I use the $20 solution (don't know the name) that simply slips over the grip and fits tightly on a rubber band. Works great for me and it certainly maintains my speed for the few minutes that I use it.

Like you, I only need a brief chance to flex the fingers of my right hand occasionally--and then only when I am buzzing along on the slab. I find that when I am "more involved" with the throttle (i.e., constantly slowing and accelerating, as on back roads) I do not seem to need to give my right hand a break. I use the $20 solution (don't know the name) that simply slips over the grip and fits tightly on a rubber band. Works great for me and it certainly maintains my speed for the few minutes that I use it.

I'm looking at what I call throttle locks or cruise controls-why does the nomenclature have to bring on all the "ain't a real cruise control" thing?:) most all of us know what they do! A MC requires throttle adjustments on hills-that's not a new story & since the thingys were discussing have no motor they don't move around on their own!:banghead. It's about resting your hand,it's that simple.:wave
There are Throttlemeisters,Wunderlich,Kaoko Y Manic Salamander in the end bar mounts, take yer choice!
In the clip on versions there are Go-Cruise in the plastic $20 version & they have a tension screw model for $31. Then there is Omni-Cruise for $50 thats CNC machined from alu, has tension screw & also has a plastic delrin rub strip to go against the brake lever. Rider magazine has a writeup on the Omni in latest issue. They are made by a one man business in USA.
What about the Chinese $20 Crampbuster copies-anyone tried one yet? They come in all colors too.

I went back and dug out the box that my device came in and it also is the Go Cruise. As I said earlier, it works fine for me. I usually will opt for the simpliest piece of equipment that will get the job done. More frills, more things to go wrong later.

Back