• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

intermittent power loss 1993 K1100RS

Been having this problem the last couple days, the bike will loose power, not completely, just a serious reduction, like its not running on all 4 cyclinders. Usually only for a second or two then back to normal, however yesterday it was for a couple minutes.

I also noticed that the tachometer stops working when this happens.

Doesn't seem to be heat related, when it happened yesterday I had only gone less than a mile and it cleared up after a couple minutes.

I spent the morning checking and cleaning all electrical connections (spray contact cleaner and dielectric grease), replaced plugs, cleaned airfilter,etc. The battery was a little low, so I will pick up a new one next week.

As with any intermittent problems, it seems fine for the moment,,,,,,,,,,,

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mike

Hey Mike,
I had similar symptoms on my K100RS when the battery crapped out. Bike would die momentarily like the ignition had cut off, then come back just fine for a few minutes. New battery cured the problem in that case. Good luck.

I had a similar problem with an 85 K100RS

I cannot definatively comment on your model year, but in my case the under tank connector which powers the fuel pump got old and loose. Reseating and cleaning it only briefly solved the problem - take off the tupperware, let the bike idle and try jiggling this connector. If it duplicates the problem, you are there.

Known problem on the older Bricks.

So far so good,

After cleaning all the electrical connectors, new plugs, and a new battery it ran flawlessly on the way to work this morning, hopefully its fixxed.

Thanks

Mike

Back