• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100S tire advice sought....uh oh.

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
OK, I've narrowed my choices down to 3 tires: Michelin PR3, Pilot Power 2CT, and Continental ContiMotion. Yes, I know there are other tires out there and I've used most of them - I'm only interested in your opinions on these three. (And no, I do not want to know about anyone's leaky transmission case on their 7 year old motorcycle :snore)

Application is sport-touring. About 50/50 interstate/secondary roads. Mileage versus handling importance is 40/60. Full tire width is utilised so I'd like them to be confidence inspiring and not prone to giving me any surprises.

So, what say you, 'O Learned Ones?

Last edited:
I've got a PP2CT on the front of my RT and I like it a LOT.
At 6,700 miles, it's starting to cup, and it's pretty close to the wear indicator bars. I usually run it at 37-38 psi dead cold for the street, 36 for Angeles Crest.
I've been very happy with how it handles, including our grooved freeways and our metal grated bridges.
I get on the front brake HARD frequently (hardly ever touch the rear except to flash at tailgaters), and it sticks.
The replacement PP2CT is already in the garage.

Used the PR2, and the PP2ct on my S, both good tires, wore the edges off of both. PR2 was a great tire for very spirited street, and good in rain. PP was also a good tire, served well on a few track days, and street, mileage 25-30% better PR.

If you do ride in the rain some, and no track, the PR would be better, IMHO. I ride with some guys that push edge to edge with this tire and like it a lot.

If the PR3 is any bit as good that would be my choice. Handling is superb wet or dry on my RT and mileage very good with the PR2. So good I've seen no reason to pay more for the PR3 on the last two tire changes. Reckon I'll use em till they phase them out which I hope is a long time from now.

I've never tried either the 2CT or the Conti Commotion. :p

New tires before the Rally, eh?

Whassamatta, you 'fraid you won't be able to keep up with the Phantom Grey/Screaming Yellow Zonkers S Bike??? :groovy

Well, are you???

:D

PS. Maybe we should start a new poll? :brow

New tires before the Rally, eh?

Whassamatta, you 'fraid you won't be able to keep up with the Phantom Grey/Screaming Yellow Zonkers S Bike??? :groovy

Well, are you???

:D

PS. Maybe we should start a new poll? :brow

I'm scared. Real scared. Hoping you'll give me a head start...in the beer tent. :D

I recently bought some PR3s, but have not had chance to get any miles on them yet. In reading reviews throughout the interweb, there was strong consensus that this was THE sport-touring tire to get. Superb wet handling, excellent dry handling, very predictable performance, and stupid good life (as in, if I only get 9K miles it will be a bit disappointing).

at the time, Iron Horse in Tucson had the best on-line pricing.

I recently bought some PR3s, but have not had chance to get any miles on them yet. In reading reviews throughout the interweb, there was strong consensus that this was THE sport-touring tire to get. Superb wet handling, excellent dry handling, very predictable performance, and stupid good life (as in, if I only get 9K miles it will be a bit disappointing).

at the time, Iron Horse in Tucson had the best on-line pricing.

You should love them. They were by far the best tire I ever ran on my S.

OK, I'm torn between the 2CT and the PR3.

I can get the 2CTs for $300 from my dealer. The PR3s are about $100 more. Again, from my dealer. I'm not going to make up my mind based on price. Looks like I'll be making this decision like I do all my investment decisions - flipping a coin. :laugh If that doesn't work, I may try the PR3 rear and the 2CT front.

Did I mention I hate tire threads and the people who start them?

Last edited:
I have PR3 on the RS. I know...I know...good reason not to put them on the S. :) I like the PR3. I do not know if they are $100 better than the CT. So much of this is personal preference.

Hey Bluehole, why isn't your bike in this picture?.

They tried to get the RS in the picture, but she is way too fast.

I have PR3 on the RS. I know...I know...good reason not to put them on the S. :)

Well that kinda goes without saying, right? :D

Anyhoo, if you're riding to Salem from Virginia it'll be interesting to see what your tires look like when you arrive.

Back