• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How many stop at a stop sign............???

I always stop, put the left foot down, then the right, then pick up the left foot to select first gear and off I go.

I guess I'm just slow, I can't stop, balance, look at the traffic etc and decide if I can go safely in an instant, as others seem to be able to do.

Maybe the 862 milliseconds I would gain on each stop isn't enough to negate the time lost to an accident?

To each their own I guess, however I don't do the super fast stop in a four wheeled vehicle either, I like to have a good look at what's happening around me...........Rod.

Used to have property on Galveston Island...Rarely does a local in the inner city stop at a stop sign...always an adventure and a hair raiser...tourists beware!

I Maybe the 862 milliseconds I would gain on each stop isn't enough to negate the time lost to an accident?

...........Rod.

It is not about time. It is about moving your feet from the footpegs down and back up. When you have arthritis in your hips and your legs hurt, this movement becomes a painful chore.....

If you folks that are balancing your bikes with no foot down, long enough to look left, look right, look left again, I'll give you credit. This is tuff to do when really stopping and observing the situation at an intersection. Oh, yes I allways stop, sometimes getting honked at.

we all live in different riding environments, with different conditions. For me (and others, I am sure), many of the stop signs I encounter can be accurately assessed as I am approaching them, with clear sight lines of sufficient distance to roll up, stop, and go, no long pause needed.
Don't automatically assume that every stop sign requires a foot down stop to determine safety conditions. Nor should any of us assume that every stop allows for a foot up stop&go. In unfamiliar territory, foot down is certainly safer. Practicing "pause-n-go" stops is something we all should be doing. Not because we want to use it all the time, but because that practice helps us attain better overall control of our bikes during slow speed riding.

I also thought no stop needed, just a pause, until I was hit hard one night in a cage about a tenth of a mile from home I grew up in, had paper route in, rode bicycles in, and had walked to school threw this intersection. I stopped for a quick look at stop sign, it was dark so I guess I only looked for headlights. Slamed by young man going about 50 in a 30 mph zone, with no headlights on. Ended up in traction for three days, a month in hospital and 12 weeks in body cast. I guess I learned a life lesson on that one quick stop. That was in 1981 and I still feel it every day.

Last edited:
It is not about time. It is about moving your feet from the footpegs down and back up. When you have arthritis in your hips and your legs hurt, this movement becomes a painful chore.....

Mike, that's a good consideration.

We were just at the Back to Biltmore rally and on a couple of the long hauls I was hoping for a stop sign so I could stretch my legs out.......It gave me a slight idea of your issue......Rod.

we all live in different riding environments, with different conditions. For me (and others, I am sure), many of the stop signs I encounter can be accurately assessed as I am approaching them, with clear sight lines of sufficient distance to roll up, stop, and go, no long pause needed.

+1

Situation also depends whether I have a passenger - I can do a feet-up full stop by myself, but a passenger can just turn her head and throw your balance off enough, and you can't get your feet down fast enough. If I can see enough to make a solid assessment, I do a near-stop, feet up. If I can't, I do a full stop, feet down - more often, the latter.

PD

I'm a re-entry rider. I usually stop at all stop signs and put one foot down. Why? I came down a country road to a T intersection where I planned to turn right. I thought I haven't seen any traffic so I'll just slow down, look and go without stopping and putting the foot down. Just as I got to the point where I was going to continue after the slowdown, a school bus came through at a quick pace and I was forced to put on the brakes and foot down. I was at that point where the bike was moving very slowly with the front wheel turned and a slight lean and I could have easily dropped it. Scared the heck out of me.

This thread had an impact on me this week. On Monday, I rode out for lunch. On the way home, I had to stop for a car turning left in front of me. I decided to see if I could stop without putting my foot down (the car was only going to be in my way for a moment). About the time I got stopped and before I put my foot down, I was struck in the rear by a nice 84 year old gentleman. I realized what had happened about the time I found myself laying on the pavement. I could not have stopped the accident but I would have seen him coming under normal circumstances. Fortunately, he was not going fast and I am only sore. I am waiting on the insurance adjuster to get back with me regarding the damage to the rear and the entire right side of my Burgman. At least a scooter doesn't land on your leg and at almost 500 pounds, it probably absorbes an impact as well as a R1200R.

I put a foot down. Figure if a car that does not have to balance can look both ways but miss the bike that is coming and pull out in front of them, then what might I be missing trying to stop, balance and assess the situation to make sure it is clear. Figure if I want to be treated like a car, then I should act like a car. A law is a law. Stop means stop, red means stop etc. Next time someone rolls one in your neighborhood with your kids playing ball in the street or while your walking the dog, don't bitch if you are one of those that roll it some times.

after reading this and a previous thread on which way to turn the front wheel when parking :banghead, I think I'll get rid of my K and just ride the Ural. 2 wheelers are soooo complicated to drive :confused::jester:lol:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

after reading this and a previous thread on which way to turn the front wheel when parking :banghead, I think I'll get rid of my K and just ride the Ural. 2 wheelers are soooo complicated to drive :confused::jester:lol:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

I'm with ya, my Patrol will hopefully be here in a week or so!!

On two wheels, stopping, depends on the what I'm riding. Motorcycle, I always stop, takes no real effort, in Calif a foot does not have to go down to be a legal stop. All forward motion must come to a halt in order to be legal. On my bicycles, during my club rides and work outs, I only stop when there is traffic visible in any direction.

Back