• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Finding Top Dead Center--any tricks?

Machinist i know used the threaded part from an old spark plug and machined a holder so that a 1 in. Travel indicator would go through it.Gets tdc every time.Ed

Or you could enjoy dinner at a chinese restaurant and take home a chop stick. Less $, you decide. If you forget to remove the chop stick, the valve cover will not go back on/amazing it's fool proof and free.

Chopsticks won't work on German bikes.

I thought it was common knowledge. You must use a straw

As I recall from my 07 R1200RT there is a "special tool" that fits through a round hole in the housing around the flywheel and when you are at TDC it engages another round hole in the flywheel and sinks home. Can't miss, no guess work involved besides finding the flywheel hole. Can be a little tricky but once you get it you know it is correct. You can get TDC on each cylinder using this tool.

I just looked on the parts fiche and I can't find any special tools, but maybe I am looking in the wrong place. I bought mine from the dealer maybe 3 years ago. It was not very expensive either, like $20. Considering all it is was a bent rod with a little plastic coated handle that was about right. If you can figure out the diameter of the flywheel hole it would be an easy thing to make. I'd guess its about 3/8 of an inch.

I suggest you call or visit the dealer and ask about it. I'm sure the mechanics will know what it is.

One other thing - if you do use this tool put a long obvious ribbon or rope on it so you don't forget to remove it before starting the engine as it locks the flywheel.

PS: Found it on the A&S website, BMW OEM - 112 650 - TDC Locating Mandrel (R11S, RT, ) $35! Maybe you want to make one...

That tool is for the 1100/1150's...the hole is on the left side under the throttle body...I only use it when a need to lock the flywheel arises....and YES. I put a piece of pink surveyors tape on it to not forget

Have you used this on your Hexhead? For valve adjustments, it's not critical to be dead- on....unless you are a dead -on guy/gal. The arrows have been my guide for adjusting valves.

YRMV

Yep

That tool is for the 1100/1150's...the hole is on the left side under the throttle body...I only use it when a need to lock the flywheel arises....and YES. I put a piece of pink surveyors tape on it to not forget

Have you used this on your Hexhead? For valve adjustments, it's not critical to be dead- on....unless you are a dead -on guy/gal. The arrows have been my guide for adjusting valves.

YRMV

Maybe so for the earlier models but it also worked on my 07 R1200RT, a Hexhead. It was also shown in the CD shop manual under the valve clearance adjustment procedure, that's how I found out about it. Then there was no guessing about whether you are spot on or not.

Back