• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New to me R80

Zimm

Took the plunge and bought an 86 R80 last night. Seems to run and ride well, but I'm new to BMWs and could use advice on several items:

It was gone over by Bobs Bmw about 18 months ago and had the carbs rebuilt, fluids changed (Annual maintenance), head stock bearings done, and new tires. No mention of spline lube.

What are the 10 things I should check first and keep and eye on? I already noticed that the plug wires are cracking and should be replaced.

Looking for keys to the bags, are they available and from where?

Need a tool kit as there is none with the bike. Sources?

What items are suggested to carry along such as plugs, cables, etc?

That's enough for a start. Insurance today, tags tomorrow, ride the beast on Saturday.

Thanks

Zimm

One thing to watch for: Was the bike regularly ridden or did it sit parked for any extended time? If it sat you may develop oil leaks around the rubber seals. The push-rod seals are the most likely to start weeping.
Another thing: when you turn the key on, before you start the bike, if the gen light does not come on, find out why before you start out on any kind of trip further than the corner store. Some one else can fill in the rest.:scratch

Read on...

Get a attentive to the machine. Get a tool kit.. Google it.. the are out there..
Get a repair manual.. read and research.. it is all here and other places.
If you have a specific question.. this is a good place to start.
Enjoy.. the bikes are fun.

Jim, Ketchikan

wut kind of bags? depends on the look your going for, I think if you want the time period look, get some krauser classics. I have them as side bags and waiting to get a classic topcase to finish the look.

The bags are stock BMW.

I don't know the range of BMW bags, but there were a handful. I think there needs to be more information about the manufacturer. Are the bags any shown on this site:

http://www.w6rec.com/duane/bmw/bags/

I can think of another name that's not there...Starlet...or something like that.

In the link in my signature line, there's a section on keys. Once you've determined the manufacturer or read something off the locks themselves, possibly you can check with the various sources and find some keys.

Kurt

Thanks for the links. Lots of good information there. Its going to take some time to get through all of it.

Zimm

I already noticed that the plug wires are cracking and should be replaced. Zimm

I sold my 86 R80RT last week that I owned for 14 years. The plug wires were cracked when I bought it and they still cracked and running fine when I sold it.

Bag Keys

If you open the latch all the way and look on the side, you'll notice a three digit number between 036 and 069. A good dealer parts guy will be able to find the part number for the key and just order it for you. Hopefully, all the numbers will be the same!

If they are Krauser Bags the key number is on the face of the lock - S150(?) and if I remember correctly S142 is the inside mount lock - both keys are usually in stock at Irv Seavers, Orange, CA., that's where I got mine.

Found the # and will consult with Bob's to see if they can order what I need.

Thanks

Any thoughts on critical items to carry like cables, spare plugs, stuff like that?

Back