• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

To Trailer or not to Trailer

also this

Attachments

• trailer 2010 (4).jpg
    trailer 2010 (4).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,149
We had our first experience towing a trailer to the RA Rally a couple of weeks ago. Dave towed our new to us Kwik Kamp with his RT, with a brand new ball type hitch. I followed on my CS. At one of our rest stops, he noticed that the hitch didn't look right - a lot of thread showing under the ball. The design of the ball was such that a large bolt threaded up into it from below, and it had come loose. We were very lucky - it could easily have dropped right out! Fortunately, he was able to get the bolt tightened up some and we limped along the highway for a dozen more miles to the nearest auto parts store to get a new ball (and some lock-tite!). Crisis averted, we were back on the road in about 15 minutes.

I have towed a Bushtec behind my CLC for the past 2 years. If you live where hills are few and far between its great but the CLC with its dry single plate clutch can give problems to those that ride in the mountains. I have decided to retire my trailer and replaced my tail bag on the CLC with a U-bag. Since I travel solo the side bags and U-bag along with an Ortleib bag hold more than enough gear for a month or more of travel. The U-bag holds my Redverz tent, air mattress, Jetboil, Kermit chair/table, and lots of small items. I will sell the Bushtec after returning from Salem, OR along with a hitch for a CL/CLC. Having a trailer allows you to carry (everything but the kitchen sink) and the cooler will be missed. In traveling with the trailer you almost forgot it was there as it tracked so well and braking was never a problem rain or shine. An LT, RT, or K1200/1300 GT would never notice the trailer was attached. I rode to/from TX and across country and never experienced any problems with side winds or in passing 18 wheel rigs.

RIDE SAFE

sorry but I DO carry a kitchen sink.I'll post it later,it's 6x12x1/2 inch and weighs a few ounces with a pvc tube skelaten and vinal bag.now we're cookin!

Here I am trying to decide between which Pelican cases for side panniers, the 18" long vs. 20" version & in this thread we have "Bert & Ernie's Summer Vacation". :brow :wave
To those that haven't "read" that story to their kids, they do take the kitchen sink along...

Just got back from a 4800 mile trip pulling a trailer for the first time behind my 12LT. What trailer? Never knew it was there, got the same mileage as another new LT I was riding with and did not have any performance problems with the LT. The trailer is a Unigo. No worries about swivel this or that. The thing leans with the bike and tracks with the bike. One part of the trip consisted of a 2 mile trek down a less than perfect gravel road to a far from perfect gravel driveway. The other LT was behind me for the trip in and said the trailer never bounced, shimmied etc. Get to the hotel at night, unhook the trailer and roll it into the room. Love my Unigo, no other way to go. I was going to read the article about trailering in the ON until someone else who had already read it commented that the author had never towed a trailer. So instead I went for a ride.

I have towed a Bushtec behind my CLC for the past 2 years. If you live where hills are few and far between its great but the CLC with its dry single plate clutch can give problems to those that ride in the mountains. I have decided to retire my trailer and replaced my tail bag on the CLC with a U-bag. Since I travel solo the side bags and U-bag along with an Ortleib bag hold more than enough gear for a month or more of travel. The U-bag holds my Redverz tent, air mattress, Jetboil, Kermit chair/table, and lots of small items. I will sell the Bushtec after returning from Salem, OR along with a hitch for a CL/CLC. Having a trailer allows you to carry (everything but the kitchen sink) and the cooler will be missed. In traveling with the trailer you almost forgot it was there as it tracked so well and braking was never a problem rain or shine. An LT, RT, or K1200/1300 GT would never notice the trailer was attached. I rode to/from TX and across country and never experienced any problems with side winds or in passing 18 wheel rigs.

RIDE SAFE

RpBump, Would you please contact me about your Bushtec trailer. I may be interested in buying it. Thanks.

Back