Thread: Helmet Face Shields

Helmet Face Shields

Face shields are the most outdated things that I use. I only replace helmets every so often and one of my life's goal is to have a very nice bucket. What's out there that does not leak rain to the inside of the shield or fog up in warm to moderate temperatures? Doesn't have to do both.
    Charlie
    Last edited by 13278; 06-18-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Mine:)

Having dozens of Helmets all my life at 60 now, my current is ICON Variant model. Its a GSA/Dual Sport style helmet, with bubble face shield. This is new to the industry, a bubble shield on Dual Sport helmet, under beak too. I've been wearing it now about two years, no issues. I am in very dry climate and riding in rain is usually not often, but do tour all the USA. Fogging shields and leaks are still common in about every helmet. Some of the latest anti fogging stuff out there for shields, I just don't know. I use only spray plastic cleaners on mine and even Lemon Pledge is a great product for shields. Not much else you can do. MY ICON helmet is first rate for my liking. 350 to 500$ gets one. MY BMW dealer sells them. Randy

Ute's Chauffeur
    I often ride in conditions that promote visor fogging. The only thing that I have found works consistently to prevent fogging is a pinlock shield. My helmets always have one in place. My present helmet, which also does not leak, is a Nexx XR1R carbon.

Schuberth C3

Includes Pinlock and the visor does not leak and with the pinlock does not fog up.

Ditto on the Schuberth C3. The pinlock system really works. I did get water inside during a major storm with high winds. It could have been push up from underneath by the wind. I don't know.

tsp
    My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

I have a Shoei Neotec with a pinlock shield for the average weather & a Scorpion EXO 900 with a electric heated visor for riding on long trips in the rain & in the winter. The heated visor will melt the snow off of the visor unless it is a heavy snow. You can feel a little heat from the visor in the summer. The pinlock has fogged up below 10 degrees & that is why I switched to the heated visor in the winter. Neither helmet has ever leaked.
    Dave
    2004 Black LT
    2000 Canyon Red LT
    V.P. BMWMOA Club 220

Faceshields

Pin lock system. Never heard about them. Must be the rock I've been under. Thanks a bunch for all the advice so far. Keep it coming. Still interested in fogging and helmets or treatments that address inside leaking. Thanks again.
    Charlie

na1g
    As far as stopping water leakage, the Shoei RF1000 (maybe other Shoeis , too) has a clever visor mechanism that pulls the visor back against the rubber seal as it closes, creating a water-tight seal. Mine didn't leak at all is steady rain. That said, my current Arai RXQ doesn't leak either with the visor locked down, although I have had a drop or two come through the eyebrow vents.

+1 on the Pinlock system for fog prevention. Don't like it at night, tho.

pete

Quote Originally Posted by 13278 View Post
    Pin lock system. Never heard about them. Must be the rock I've been under. Thanks a bunch for all the advice so far. Keep it coming. Still interested in fogging and helmets or treatments that address inside leaking. Thanks again.
    Charlie
    You can use swim goggle "fog preventer" on MC visors face shields but it has to be redone often IME. Same stuff as eyeglass defogger as demonstrated in Wally World on occasion. The only "treatments that address inside leaking" are better helmet designs...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    As far as stopping water leakage, the Shoei RF1000 (maybe other Shoeis , too) has a clever visor mechanism that pulls the visor back against the rubber seal as it closes, creating a water-tight seal. Mine didn't leak at all is steady rain. That said, my current Arai RXQ doesn't leak either with the visor locked down, although I have had a drop or two come through the eyebrow vents.

+1 on the Pinlock system for fog prevention. Don't like it at night, tho.

pete
    The Shoei Neotec's visor is like this as well, doesn't leak at all and comes with a Pinlock insert that won't fog. No issues riding with it at night, but I can see how it could be annoying to some people. The Pinlock creates a halo-effect from on-coming headlights and streetlights, but again, each person's sensitivity to it will be different.
    Craig
    New York's Hudson Valley Region
    2009 R1200RT
    MOA #146131 IBA #55715

Quote Originally Posted by tsperez View Post
    Ditto on the Schuberth C3. The pinlock system really works. I did get water inside during a major storm with high winds. It could have been push up from underneath by the wind. I don't know.

tsp
    My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com
    I've had similar problems with my Schuberth.
    you must shut the shield hard, it will snap tight. Hard to do!
    I also had problems with the inner shield not sealing tightly and getting water between the two. I finally read the owners manual and learned how to adjust the Pin Locks. Hopefully it will seal now.
    jason
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

I'm on my second Arai helmet now. Im very happy with my Arai Signet.
    Ride Safe,
    Bob
    '12 R1200RT