• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

03' RT Rear Wheel Removal

bigbear

Are there any tricks to removing the rear wheel on a 03' RT? With bike on center stand, I had a difficult time getting the wheel/tire assembly between the muffler and the swing arm inner pivot bolt head.

You might try deflating the tire and 'wiggle' it out. It worked for me. Make sure you secure the center stand to the front wheel with a strap first. getting it back in is the same. re-inflate the tire and you're good to go. Also try loosening the muffler mount.

Gerry

You can loosen the muffler at both ends, deflate the tire, or just wiggle and scratch up the rim...

You don't remove the muffler on this one.

Loosen the knobs found in the tailcone assembly and the rear fender sides out towards the back of the bike. The wheel can then be removed without interference. Like someone else said, check your rider manual.

Removiing the rear wheel from both my RS and my RT takes a bit of oooommmmph. I roll the wheel back until it jams up against the muffler, then cock the rear of the wheel to the left to clear the fender. Then just pull and wiggle that mutha out. It doesn't seem to want to come out, but it does. It goes in a lot easier than it comes out.

With the PR2's I have to let air out of the tire and it's still tight. Muffler installed, HF table lift with rear plate removed. I believe it depends on the profile of the tire.

+1 on deflating the tire; that is how I remove mine.

also, deflate it to about 5-10 psi before mounting it and then inflate to the proper pressure (ask someone to hold the bike from the front while mounting it as you may push the bike forward and knock it off the center stand).

A one sided swing arm and a wheel that won't come off.
May I be the first to say UNBELIEVEABLE!

A one sided swing arm and a wheel that won't come off.
May I be the first to say UNBELIEVEABLE!

Well, gee, the official service manual says remove the muffler first.

This is still the case with Hexheads and Camheads.

It's just a step in the process--why be so negative? It's only difficult when you don't follow directions and trying to get the rear wheel off without removing the muffler is not following directions.

On my old Airhead I often removed the front wheel first to make getting the rear wheel off easier. Oh, and I had to remove the left muffler, too ... mostly I think because of Koni shocks.

Actually lkchris is absolutely correct. I had to check because I've done this a lot and thought what the heck is he talking about? :laugh

Instructions below pasted from the factory manual:

[RS/R/RT] Removing and installing
rear wheel (cast alloy)
Removing rear wheel
?[RS] Remove number plate carrier.
?[RS/ABS] Detach muffler (silencer) mount/press
muffler outwards/carefully remove the rear wheel.

Now that said I've removed the rear wheel on both 1100RTs I've owned at least a dozen times and never had to remove the muffler to do it. Yeah, it's a little tight coming out and you have to wiggle the wheel back a forth a bit but if you are using the specified 160/60-18 tires, they come out (and go back in) without great difficulty.

well, gee, the official service manual says remove the muffler first.

This is still the case with hexheads and camheads.

It's just a step in the process--why be so negative? It's only difficult when you don't follow directions and trying to get the rear wheel off without removing the muffler is not following directions.

On my old airhead i often removed the front wheel first to make getting the rear wheel off easier. Oh, and i had to remove the left muffler, too ... Mostly i think because of koni shocks.

unbelieveable!

Try changing the rear on a GL1800 Goldwing.
Easiest way is to lay the behemoth on its side on the grass! Quite a picture.

:laugh:laugh:laugh That's right...I put a set of tires on a Valkyrie (Naked Wing)...had to drop the headers/mufflers on both sides to get the axle loose and out. The Valkyrie Forum said either that method or hang the bike from the rafters sometimes works.

no need to remove muffler

Gerry had it right..(believe 3rd post).

I've put many rear tires on my "03" over 150K miles and never removed the muffler. Take license plate mount and deflate tire. make sure you have the saddle bags and rear bag off the bike so it's front heavy.

Good luck!

Ksmith57

Back