• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Face Shields

72r60/7

Face shields are the most outdated things that I use. I only replace helmets every so often and one of my life's goal is to have a very nice bucket. What's out there that does not leak rain to the inside of the shield or fog up in warm to moderate temperatures? Doesn't have to do both.
Charlie

Last edited:
Mine:)

Having dozens of Helmets all my life at 60 now, my current is ICON Variant model. Its a GSA/Dual Sport style helmet, with bubble face shield. This is new to the industry, a bubble shield on Dual Sport helmet, under beak too:). I've been wearing it now about two years, no issues. I am in very dry climate and riding in rain is usually not often, but do tour all the USA. Fogging shields and leaks are still common in about every helmet. Some of the latest anti fogging stuff out there for shields, I just don't know. I use only spray plastic cleaners on mine and even Lemon Pledge is a great product for shields. Not much else you can do. MY ICON helmet is first rate for my liking:). 350 to 500$ gets one. MY BMW dealer sells them. Randy

I often ride in conditions that promote visor fogging. The only thing that I have found works consistently to prevent fogging is a pinlock shield. My helmets always have one in place. My present helmet, which also does not leak, is a Nexx XR1R carbon.

Ditto on the Schuberth C3. The pinlock system really works. I did get water inside during a major storm with high winds. It could have been push up from underneath by the wind. I don't know.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

I have a Shoei Neotec with a pinlock shield for the average weather & a Scorpion EXO 900 with a electric heated visor for riding on long trips in the rain & in the winter. The heated visor will melt the snow off of the visor unless it is a heavy snow. You can feel a little heat from the visor in the summer. The pinlock has fogged up below 10 degrees & that is why I switched to the heated visor in the winter. Neither helmet has ever leaked.

Faceshields

Pin lock system. Never heard about them. Must be the rock I've been under. Thanks a bunch for all the advice so far. Keep it coming. Still interested in fogging and helmets or treatments that address inside leaking. Thanks again.
Charlie

As far as stopping water leakage, the Shoei RF1000 (maybe other Shoeis , too) has a clever visor mechanism that pulls the visor back against the rubber seal as it closes, creating a water-tight seal. Mine didn't leak at all is steady rain. That said, my current Arai RXQ doesn't leak either with the visor locked down, although I have had a drop or two come through the eyebrow vents.

+1 on the Pinlock system for fog prevention. Don't like it at night, tho.

pete

Pin lock system. Never heard about them. Must be the rock I've been under. Thanks a bunch for all the advice so far. Keep it coming. Still interested in fogging and helmets or treatments that address inside leaking. Thanks again.
Charlie
You can use swim goggle "fog preventer" on MC visors face shields but it has to be redone often IME. Same stuff as eyeglass defogger as demonstrated in Wally World on occasion. The only "treatments that address inside leaking" are better helmet designs...

As far as stopping water leakage, the Shoei RF1000 (maybe other Shoeis , too) has a clever visor mechanism that pulls the visor back against the rubber seal as it closes, creating a water-tight seal. Mine didn't leak at all is steady rain. That said, my current Arai RXQ doesn't leak either with the visor locked down, although I have had a drop or two come through the eyebrow vents.

+1 on the Pinlock system for fog prevention. Don't like it at night, tho.

pete

The Shoei Neotec's visor is like this as well, doesn't leak at all and comes with a Pinlock insert that won't fog. No issues riding with it at night, but I can see how it could be annoying to some people. The Pinlock creates a halo-effect from on-coming headlights and streetlights, but again, each person's sensitivity to it will be different.

Ditto on the Schuberth C3. The pinlock system really works. I did get water inside during a major storm with high winds. It could have been push up from underneath by the wind. I don't know.

tsp
My Blog: http://www.airheadmoto.com

I've had similar problems with my Schuberth.
you must shut the shield hard, it will snap tight. Hard to do!
I also had problems with the inner shield not sealing tightly and getting water between the two. I finally read the owners manual and learned how to adjust the Pin Locks. Hopefully it will seal now.
jason

Back