• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Please vote if you think the MOA should have a more proactive stance with BMW NA

Should the MOA have a proactive roll in presenting its members concerns to BMW NA?

• I would LIKE the MOA to be an advocate for its members concerning possible manufacture defects.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I would NOT like the MOA to be an advocate for its members concerning possible manufacture defects

Votes: 87 60.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gee, that could relate to this forum! :brow

In my earlier comment about a regular column in the ON I neglected to say that the report ought to be on the web site too. I think it should be. We don't need a blow-by-blow, but a report of activities is desirable. When I was President and Rob Lentini was the Consumer Liaison the Board was periodically advised of Rob's liaison activity. I am advocating that informatio be provided to the members, in the ON and on the web site. I don't think it is a discussion topic on the forum initiated by the liaison,, but of course after reading something in the ON members might start a thread.

In addition to Paul's comments, confidentiality may be desired by the member seeking help for their own reasons. Often in the discussion the assumption is that confidentiality gives cover and comfort to the evil Bavarians when a liaison, super of just mortal, may be the desired way for members to seek help with out becoming part of the public record.

I do not think the 'Club' should represent any individual, or group, in any matter that is consumer vs. comapny of any kind. MOA should not use its leverage of '40,000' memebers , either implied, assumed or imagined, to make a company play fair, lest we take our football and go home.

I do think it would be reasonable to allow memebers to post their displeasure and/or problems on the forum, in an effort to seek others who have had the same problem or feel similar, and then that group could collectively pursue the company that they have a problem with, all with their own private funds and attorneys if needed. 'Class action' is the term I believe.

The MOA would be serving its memebers by allowing them to use a private forum/webpage that is in part supported by memeber dues to collect their prospective litigants. Heck, maybe even have free advertisement space in the ON, in the classified section, under the heading of 'Class action litigants sought'.

Yes that would seem like a reasonable idea

I do not think the 'Club' should represent any individual, or group, in any matter that is consumer vs. comapny of any kind. MOA should not use its leverage of '40,000' memebers , either implied, assumed or imagined, to make a company play fair, lest we take our football and go home.

I do think it would be reasonable to allow memebers to post their displeasure and/or problems on the forum, in an effort to seek others who have had the same problem or feel similar, and then that group could collectively pursue the company that they have a problem with, all with their own private funds and attorneys if needed. 'Class action' is the term I believe.

The MOA would be serving its memebers by allowing them to use a private forum/webpage that is in part supported by memeber dues to collect their prospective litigants. Heck, maybe even have free advertisement space in the ON, in the classified section, under the heading of 'Class action litigants sought'.
Yes a place to share and collect data on specific bike would be a good starting point. A new page could be easily set up if the forum wanted to make the effort. Several members have suggested the same thing and the forum moderators are very quiet when that topic keeps being brought up. Wonder why?

Well said Paul, people respect your opinion.

In my earlier comment about a regular column in the ON I neglected to say that the report ought to be on the web site too. I think it should be. We don't need a blow-by-blow, but a report of activities is desirable. When I was President and Rob Lentini was the Consumer Liaison the Board was periodically advised of Rob's liaison activity. I am advocating that informatio be provided to the members, in the ON and on the web site. I don't think it is a discussion topic on the forum initiated by the liaison,, but of course after reading something in the ON members might start a thread.

Paul my name in mud or worst around here. Would you mind putting up a poll asking if the members would be interested in your suggestion.

Thanks

BMW MOA has a volunteer advocate - called the Consumer Liaison. This is new to neither BMW MOA nor the several threads swirling about. But that fact keeps being overlooked. So is the Consumer Liaison, by members with issues with vendors, dealers, or BMW.

I believe there should be a "regular" column in the Owners News that reports the activities of the Consumer Liaison and the issues that he/she has dealt with. Whether "regular" means quarterly or monthly or whatever depends on the level of activity, use, and interest by the members.

This would have two possible affects with two distinct advantages. First, the possibility of regular publicity might have some modest effect on how folks cooperate and compromise. I do understand that often confidentiality is important. but issues can be described in generalities when necessary. More importantly however, every member would at least have the opportunity of being reminded that such a person as the Consumer Liaison exists and could be of help to a member.

It is my considered opinion that when issues arise it is important to address them at the earliest possible moment. The next day is often not too soon. The fact that BMW MOA has a person who might be able to help ought to be well publicized and in the forefront of folks minds when they believe they have a problem. A regular column in the ON would provide an opportunity for folks to know this much better than a name and phone number with a somewhat obscure title on the staff listing in the magazine.

Although I question if the MOA should step in as an official or legal mediator between BMW NA and a frustrated motorcycle owner, I have to agree with Paul.

Having some sort of assistance from our Consumer Liaison is a great idea. It could be something simple, like names and phone numbers of who to contact at BMW NA or even detailed statistical reports of past problems and solutions by model of bike. The reports could easily be compiled from information reported by MOA members to our Consumer Liaison advocate.

A simple PDF form available here on our website should be a easy place to start. This would a simple way to give the liaison something to review before taking any sort of action. The report information could also posted in the ON or even online. If confidentiality is an issue, the report data could be posted without the members name and other personal information.

After a time, we should have a great reference library for our members. Thinking about the purchase of a new R1200? Just look it up. Too many early final drive failures with the R bike? Now you know. Go back to the dealer and buy a K bike instead. BMW NA admitted a design flaw on your bike last year? Now you have something to tell your legal counsel, dealer or small claims judge. Just look up stuff at the liaison's reference desk to see about problems and the end results. The solution to your problem could already exist.

Just my two cents.

According to Greg Feeler the best way to see if there is any interest in the MOA having a more proactive stance for its member in presenting cases about possible defects and other recurring problems with their bike, is by voting. So let vote to see if there is any interest at this time concerning this matter.

I vote no.

What is the threshold of support for you to act in some way?

In an arena we are not to talk about here I have been part of successful campaigns that started with a few people sitting around a BBQ and having a few beers talking about the issues of the day. I have seen polling data in that arena which showed leads similar to the no vote for this pole in the formative stages yet that candidate lost on the real election day.

-The organization already has a consumer liaison. So there is already a basis in the organization to build on.
-The forum itself exists in large part as a way for members to seek help and exchange information about problems with their BMWs and other motorcycle products.
-You have talked at length it seems with the Greg. He has given us all an outline of how to approach the Board and in the way it was presented it struck me they would really look at it.
-Paul has made several excellent suggestions on the communications front.
-Other members make sincere efforts to post recalls, provide good information to assist with problems through the use of the forum.

All of these people and more have stepped up in some way to do something when they saw a need. The results are often imperfect.

What is the threshold of support for you to act in some constructive way to move the association forward?

Kert, I think you are mistaken about this, the forum is the place to discuss it.

Sounds like it's up to the members to contact him and engage him directly. As the poll seems to be going, it doesn't look like the forum is a place to have these kinds of discussions.

The poll is about 60/40 and I am very pleased with the results. Sound a lot like the split in our country.

Paul and many others have brought up the consumer liaison position and the need for it to be more accessible and heard from in the magazine and on the forum. Also the need for the consumer liaison or someone like him to be responsible for gathering data on particular models: such as service issues, recalls, service bulletins and other data that can be easily recorded by the members with bikes having issues and easily view by members searching for answers.

We would appreciate your help in finding a way to move this concept into fruition. Maybe you could ask the members to submit examples of pdf forms that could be used to gather the information.

Thank for your help.

We would appreciate your help in finding a way to move this concept into fruition. Maybe you could ask the members to submit examples of pdf forms that could be used to gather the information.

Currently the majority of poll voters don't want the MOA to take a formal stance or advocate against the manufacturer beyond what we currently have. It's been written several times that we have something of a liaison and Greg has also provided a path to presenting an concept or initiative to the Board. I might be misreading things, but it seems like that is where all of this should be headed.

FACT: The BMW Car Club has Advocates and we should too

As a long time BMW CCA member, the car club has within it an advocate who will go to bat for the customer with BMWNA. For some misguided reason, some of the MOA have the idea that BMWNA is a shrine which can never be questioned even when they are full of BS. As for me, i'm not buying that line of crap. Good business ethics should damn well be on the agenda of the club and we should have the courage to go nose to nose with BMW if they are not treating one of our members fairly. As I learned in Viet Nam, If you don't take care of those in your unit, what good are you?

Why do you call us misguided? We're not dealing with hard facts, but with member's wishes and opinions, hence, everyone's opinion is valid for them. If someone doesn't want us to take a combative posture with BMW, that's fine, as is your own misguided statement. ;)

Sorry I think Mr 3hawks is not misguided in the least. If the MOA had any huevos it would stand on its hind legs and ROAR back at the NA. Again, just my opinion.

Why do you call us misguided? We're not dealing with hard facts, but with member's wishes and opinions, hence, everyone's opinion is valid for them. If someone doesn't want us to take a combative posture with BMW, that's fine, as is your own misguided statement. ;)

If I can add my 2 cents: if there is a legitimate issue why do you feel it is the MOA taking a combative stance? Why wouldn't it be NA if it is a legitimate product issue? I think you're putting the blame on the wrong shoulders.

I think this gentleman actually makes a great deal of sense.

As a long time BMW CCA member, the car club has within it an advocate who will go to bat for the customer with BMWNA. ...sniped

I have been trying to learn more about what the BMW CCA person actually does. In the literature I have read the position is described as "Ombudsmen to help with dealer issues." Now that may put them in a position to go to bat with BMW NA, I don't know at this time.

I am asking for purely for information and clarification. Can someone put some actual information about what the BMW CCA Ombudsman's role is in reality or point me in the direction of literature source or person?

I voted no. Hire a lawyer............. :)

+1

It won't work in my opinion, because there is no incentive, carrot or stick, for BMWNA to deal with the MOA on these issues. Want to play hardball? Just imagine the actions BMWNA could take to hurt the MOA if they so desired.

I have been trying to learn more about what the BMW CCA person actually does. In the literature I have read the position is described as "Ombudsmen to help with dealer issues." Now that may put them in a position to go to bat with BMW NA, I don't know at this time.

I am asking for purely for information and clarification. Can someone put some actual information about what the BMW CCA Ombudsman's role is in reality or point me in the direction of literature source or person?

Mika, as you may be aware I have been a strong supporter of advocacy. Having said this the fact that advocacy lost so big what's the point of looking for information? It is obvious the club has no interest in this type of thing. Whether I think it is totally valid or not is immaterial, the facts are it lost by a substantial margin.

The very statement someone made about not wanting to get involved in a combative stance says it all. For some reason we are deemed combative even if the issue is legitimate. Members really need to look at this statement and determine how much sense it makes. I'm the first to admit it is incomprehensible to me why BMW wouldn't look combative but obviously that point of view has little support. Time to stop beating a dead horse.

+1

It won't work in my opinion, because there is no incentive, carrot or stick, for BMWNA to deal with the MOA on these issues. Want to play hardball? Just imagine the actions BMWNA could take to hurt the MOA if they so desired.

What the heck could BMW do? Take us to court? Please, stop this utter nonsense. This statement is crazy. We, let me repeat that, we are the customer, not BMW NA. The sooner you realize that the sooner action will be taken. Until then any poor soul is at the mercy of these clowns. Damn, this statement makes me angry. We, we, we are the customer, not the opposite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wake up and smell the roses!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back