• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help crossing Nevada?

unigobill

We are looking crossing Nevada on the way to the national. We have cross 50 in both so looking for another way. thinking about, Panaca to 93, 93 to 375, 375 to 6, 6 to CA., or 6 to 95 north. Seems there are serval passes on this route, hoping for some moderate temps?? Any suggestion would be appreciated, from don't go to interested spots on this route.

Know em all:)

Ridden all of Nevada for decades:). The route Caliente,NV a good one thru Rachael and Tonapah and Hwy6 into California. This directs you right at Yosemite NP. 95N in Nevada, boring, but more direct to Carson City and Reno locales. Virginia City, Nevada is in that direction too, but really a touristy town with history, all good. Crossing into California on US6 is a best ride favorite of mine, linking with Hwy120W, just inside California State Line at Benton/Benton Hot Springs will give you a ride worthy of a BMW and smiles. TIOGA PASS Hwy120 takes you directly into Yosemite NP and link with Hwy49N on the West Slope of park. Hwy49 is our GOLD COUNTRY discovery route all the way North to above Lake Tahoe and link with Hwy89N in northern state. GREAT RIDING. My backyard. Anyhow, the Nevada crossing is good, but can be HOT, never know what kind of day you'll get until there. My last day was 104 crossing thru Caliente to Rachael to Tonapah, but cools nicely at sunset most of it. Nevada gets Summer rains too and this can help if you hit it. Watch VERY close for flash floods IF big rains are present in the mountains around all this route. Not real frequent(floods), but my last ride I saw one! A foot plus of mud/debris crossed road, Hwy6. CAMPING? "Caliente NV", West side of town has a private campground, GOOD and grassy sites/showers. Small family owned, they live there. Motels too, a railroad town, much history. State Line California at Benton Hot Springs, CA. Camp with your own hot tube in campsite, your very own:). It can be hot there too, but cools quickly at night at 6000'. A favorite of mine. Nearest Motels, Lee Vining, CA(55miles crossing Hwy120) at US395/Hwy120 Junction. VERY PRETTY there on Mono Lake and Western Slope Sierra's and entrance to TIOGA PASS/Yosemite NP. ENJOY, see ya in Salem. HAYFORK, California for Sunday, July14th if you're interested in GSGiants or just need a campsite for the night. We all go to Salem:). Randy

TIP for California;

Once inside California near Yosemite NP and North. The US395 is our major scenic byway of the Eastern Slope of Sierra's. Its ALL great riding this route, so beautiful. If you're not into the park scene, been there done that. The US395N from Lee Vining, CA. is premier riding and 4 more passes between Lee Vining and Lake Tahoe exist for your pleasure. ALL are 5 star m/c rides. TIOGA PASS is Yosemite NP, SONORA PASS(Hwy108), EBBETTS PASS(Hwy4) via MONITOR PASS off US395 and CARSON PASS all are below Lake Tahoe. HWY88/89 Junction below S.Lake Tahoe is a best bet and ride the Western Lake Tahoe for best sights and North from there on 89. IF ya find yourself crossing one of the passes, HWY49N is link on Western Slope for great GOLD DISCOVERY Route going North all the way to Hwy89 link again in N.Cal..:). Enjoy, hope this helps. Randy

Plus 1001 to polarbear comments...long time resident of Minden, Nevada. If I was riding that route to connect with 395, I'd do that Monitor Pass route then go north to connect with 88/395 again into Carson City. Then a few miles east on 50 to connect with the road to Virginia City. Straight thru VC, been there done that, then at the intersection with 395, just go straight and continue up the Mt. Rose Highway to Incline Village at north Tahoe. At Incline go west then north to Truckee, continue north thru Sierraville and Quincy. Then down the Feather River Highway to the Greenville turnoff, northward thru g'ville to Lake Almanor and Lassen Volcano NP. After that I'd head north thru Klamath Falls...Bend...and Sisters enroute to Salem.

But...that's just me...LOL

Sorry that I haven't included highway numbers...I've traveled these bi-ways so frequently that I don' pay attention to route numbers! But since you ride a Beemer I assume you can read a map really well!

Have a great trip!;)

Its all great:)

Just about every turn in N. Cal and N.Nevada gives great results for m/c's:). I takes weeks to ride it all. From the N. Cal Coast Redwoods to the Gerlack Burning Man site in N.Nevada and remoteness there, its a biker heaven. A LOT of everything out here:). Randy

Back