• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

pardon my ignorance

f14rio

but what differences are apparent to the rider between a water cooled r1200r and an air cooled one?
not sure but I think they offer a water cooled model for '13

Last edited:
Not sure you are correct about a water cooled R for 2013. Have seen some stuff about a Wethead RT, but not an R. 2014 is my guess. Looks like you'll notice a bit more weight (20-25 pounds I'd guess), 15 more HP and one more system to maintain and worry about. On a side note, I met a Brit couple today in Jade City, YT. They are doing an around the world ride two-up on a cam head GSA. The husband said they tried a Wethead GS and found the ergonomics much different and too small for two-up riding. Hope they don't screw-up the R.

The R1200R/W isn't due here until at least 2014. The Roadster is typically the last of the boxers to get whatever the new hot setup is.. (meaning they also benefit from not being beta engine bikes..) The old R1200GS showed up as a 2005 (many manufactured in 2004) and the R1200R didn't show up for 2 more years as a 2007 model (production starting around 10/2006).

I'd expect more weight, more cost. Other than that.. I don't see any compelling reason to consider getting one when my 2007 isn't worn out yet. BTW - as far as I've heard, the new engine has about the same HP (within a few percent) and less low end grunt. That to me isn't a compelling reason, actually it's more the opposite.

I've never been convinced liquid cooled equals better. I've owned both and personally prefer air cooled to liquid although liquid would certainly not stop me from being a buyer. Now header pipes on a boxer pointing to the ground immediately as they leave the exhaust port? I call that weird but I imagine we'll all get used to it. Probably not a show stopper.

Think you'll notice significantly more power.

You'll get throttle-by-wire, too.

Basically a completely different motorcycle.

Lots of improvements, the cooling system is the least of them IMO. Then again it is all new, and it IS a BMW.....

re: "Then again it is all new, and it IS a BMW....."

which, unfortunately means,

"buy a first year bmw model at you own risk"

this is apparently not the case with most other marques.

technology is wonderful.

one thing it doesn't seem to do is improve reliability/maintainability

i'm sure the data exists but I doubt BMW would ever release it.... and that would be a graph plotting '70's and '80's bmw bike reliability against post 2000 reliability.

I would guess there are many affluent air head riders who wouldn't even consider getting a contemporary machine

Last edited:
Pretty;

I looked at new water GS, did not wish to ride it until GSA gets here a year+ from now. WHEN does HP stop growing and why is it such a factor anymore? My 100HP GSA has so much, I simply don't need more. I know its a given with water cooling and so on, but HP a selling point, not to me! The drastic pipes and injector body changes are ugly at first sight, but grow on ya quickly. I doubt water cooling has made the bike any heavier either, as many other mods have been changed to accommodate it's added water/hardware weight. The new wishbone on front suspension is HALF the size of previous models! Just one change to fit radiators. Seems that alone would create some flex, vs the older ones. Maybe not, hope they did their homework really well. I WONT ever buy a first year one again after doing it years ago. The risk is too high to my liking, been there, done that. Randy

Smaller ergos and less low-end grunt...
With another system to maintain and at higher cost...
Sounds like a big corporate (foul)up to me...

I had a R1200GS-W loaner for a couple of days. There was plenty of room for my 6'4"/36-inseam/225# body. Low-end grunt was definitely not missing, throttle response was smooth & linear, and the clutch action was greatly improved.

OMG, this thread is sooooooo predictable and a classic.:laugh Substitute about ever major innovation/change BMW has ever brought out over the last couple of decades for the water cooled part in this thread and you will find many threads just like it.

Personally, I look forward to my first ride on a Wet Head. I bet I'm going to like it and will own one in a few years after the beta testing is done and I can pick up a low miles used one, my usual bike buying style.

I do agree with the Bear, I have no need for even more HP. Give me about 100hp and I'm very happy. :thumb

i'm sure the data exists but I doubt BMW would never release it.... and that would be a graph plotting '70's and '80's bmw bike reliability against post 2000 reliability.

Well, there's nothing less reliable than a motorcycle with points ignition, so you can forget the '70s.

Most of my "affluent" friends have moved on from Airheads.

Isn't anyone here familiar with the term "electrolysis"? I once had a water cooled motorcycle. NEVER AGAIN!

re:"Well, there's nothing less reliable than a motorcycle with points ignition..."

yep, probably need attention every 8-10k mi or so.

must take at least a half hour to get it right.

quite expensive, too.

Last edited:
Isn't anyone here familiar with the term "electrolysis"? I once had a water cooled motorcycle. NEVER AGAIN!

I'm not completely unfamiliar with the term electrolysis . I'm curious, if you wouldn't mind could you please elaborate on how it relates to water cooled bikes

I'm not completely unfamiliar with the term electrolysis . I'm curious, if you wouldn't mind could you please elaborate on how it relates to water cooled bikes

Dissimilar metals in an environment of an enabling medium (water) exchange electrons and "eat" each other like sacrificial anodes (zinc on boats in water). My Suzuki GS-750 dissolved its cylinder head and nearly ate through the cylinder liners. Engine was a total loss. 75000 miles in eight years.

Dissimilar metals in an environment of an enabling medium (water) exchange electrons and "eat" each other like sacrificial anodes (zinc on boats in water). My Suzuki GS-750 dissolved its cylinder head and nearly ate through the cylinder liners. Engine was a total loss. 75000 miles in eight years.

During that time, did you change the coolant? If so, how often? What kind of coolant did it use and if you replaced it, what coolant did you use?

The only problems I've seen with coolant and different metals was on GM vehicles. Their coolant is an organic acid base, as opposed to an inorganic acid, which is the old green stuff. From what I understand, the PH should be tested on cars that use that type of coolant. I did have a 2001 Jetta that used "lifetime" coolant called Pentosin and it worked fine. In fact, when I did the timing belt/waterpump at 102K miles, the interior of the cast iron block was spotless. I sold the car with 150K miles and an original clutch. Seems German tech worked well there, even with water cooling. Better than my 1969 Fastback.

My Suzuki GS-750 dissolved its cylinder head and nearly ate through the cylinder liners. Engine was a total loss. 75000 miles in eight years.
Don't take this wrong but I can't even begin to comprehend how you can relate a 71ish Suzuki water-buffalo to a modern technology BMW 42 years later.

Literally - everything has changed on the technology used from then to now.

Don't take this wrong but I can't even begin to comprehend how you can relate a 71ish Suzuki water-buffalo to a modern technology BMW 42 years later.

Literally - everything has changed on the technology used from then to now.

The water buffalo was the GT-750, no? GS was a 4 stroke.

Back