• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Welding on the bike

ocoinji

Are there any issues with me doing some mig welding on my side stand (1982 R100 RT) while it is on the bike? I plan to at least disconnect the battery ground. I just want to make sure there is nothing else i should be careful of. Yes, i could take it off but doing it on the bike will save me two hours at least.
Thanks in advance,
Jim O'Coin

I have done this sort of thing before with no ill effects.

Try to keep the ground clamp as close (on the side stand) as possible. Welding is a dead short and the electricity has to get from ground to electrode. I did some welding when I shortened my side and center stand, The burning OEM paint was real stinky. OM

Careful where you clamp the ground.

Try to keep the ground clamp as close (on the side stand) as possible. Welding is a dead short and the electricity has to get from ground to electrode.
If your welder clamps the negative somewhere like the rear axle (because its a paint free surface for a good ground), transmission, wheel and final drive bearing balls, rollers and races can be pitted by arching and even spot welded together. You can remove the fuel tank and wrap the mounted carbs with damp towels to absorb fuel vapors while the sparks are flying.

In fact, I did a weld repair on my /5 yesterday. I wanted to over-weld the sheet metal guide for the seat post. I put the ground clamp on the chrome handle near the seat lock and let it rip. The post guide is now firmly attached and no ill effects from the repair apart from a little bit of bubbled paint near the welds.

Back