Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: testing alternator--battery dead

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
    I've had the battery on a charger for four days solid and it hasn't even begun to take a charge-I think I can
    safely assume battery is dead! Tony
    Actually Day 1 would have done the deed.

aapasquale
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Tony,

It'd seem so...but it isn't necessarily true: some chargers won't charge a connected battery if the charger doesn't see some juice in that battery. That is, it will recharge a partially-charged or low battery, but won't charge one that's completely discharged. What kind of charger are you using?
    I will pull the old battery out today. It's a BMW charger ehat I use regularly when the bike is put in shed each night.

Quote Originally Posted by aapasquale View Post
    It's a BMW charger ehat I use regularly when the bike is put in shed each night.
    Over the years, BMW has distributed chargers that are both "dumb" (they'll provide current without regard to the state of the battery) and "smart" (they'll charge only if the battery has some minimal level of residual charge).
    Last edited by dbrick; 06-19-2013 at 01:58 PM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Pulling out the battery is the only way to check the connections. Not sure if that has been done yet? That would be the first thing to check since the oilhead alternators are pretty bullet proof.

Next thing to try is charging the battery outside of the bike. If it takes a charge have it load tested to properly determine the state of charge. If the charger will not do anything I sometimes jumper the suspect battery to a known good one and let the good one discharge into the suspect one to bring the voltage up to where the charger will work.

Then decide if a new battery is needed and only after checking with Odyssey about warranty. They are a pretty good company.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

aapasquale
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Pulling out the battery is the only way to check the connections. Not sure if that has been done yet? That would be the first thing to check since the oilhead alternators are pretty bullet proof.

Next thing to try is charging the battery outside of the bike. If it takes a charge have it load tested to properly determine the state of charge. If the charger will not do anything I sometimes jumper the suspect battery to a known good one and let the good one discharge into the suspect one to bring the voltage up to where the charger will work.

Then decide if a new battery is needed and only after checking with Odyssey about warranty. They are a pretty good company.
    Hi Happy Wanderer,
    Took plastic off today and lifted tank so I could get to the battery to jump start it in order to check alternator. Alternator is working fine putting out about 14 volts. Turned bike off after idling at 2,000 rpm for about 5 minutes. Checked battery voltage.....almost nothing. Glad to establish that alternator is not the problem. I will remove the battery from bike tomorrow and will try your idea of jumping to a known good battery and see if its heart starts beating again. By the way, I called the company i got the battery from and there is a two year warranty on the battery. It will be pro-rated for the 8 months this one has been used.
    Tony

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Well that's some good news I suppose. Kinda weird it would fail so early on. Monitor the voltage of the donor when you try jumping it. If it drops very quickly I would give up. Your battery might have an internal short of some kind. That can be perilous.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

aapasquale
    Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Well that's some good news I suppose. Kinda weird it would fail so early on. Monitor the voltage of the donor when you try jumping it. If it drops very quickly I would give up. Your battery might have an internal short of some kind. That can be perilous.
    Changed my mind already about tying the batteries together. I thought it could be a problem, too. Sent the battery back to BatteryStuff.com (from whom it was purchased) and they will test it to find the problem and work out the warranty details. My new and shiny battery should arrive Friday.

aapasquale
    picked up new battery from Post Office along with a Kisan voltmeter/ammeter, etc. I ordered. Installed all today. Everything seems to up to snuff. Battery charging at 13.9 volts, ammeter reading 1-2 amps. Good to be riding again!
    Last edited by aapasquale; 06-26-2013 at 01:57 AM.

aapasquale

A Happy Ending!

I did order a new Odyssey 680 battery from BatteryStuff.com, the same folks from whom I ordered the original battery. Once installed, the bike is running great, and charging system is working fine. I installed a Kisan voltmeter/ammeter so I could keep a closer look at what what happening with the charging system in the future. I shipped the old battery (8 months old) back to BatteryStuff.com because there was a 2 year warranty on it. They checked it out and , sure enough, it was a battery failure! I expected them to pro-rate the cost of the original and refund the left over time. Instead, they are giving me a total refund on the new battery! I think this is a great way to treat a customer and besides that, there service is excellent. One happy camper here.
    Tony