• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Steve Matthewson at Suspension Systems Ohlins Rebuild

skotlyc

Good evening all, A while back I had a rear shock on my R1100rs blow a seal. I managed to find a good deal on an Ohlins on ebay. Per this forum, I was referred to Steve Matthewson at Suspension Systems in NY. I can't seem to pin point the exact thread right now, but the person who used him to rebuild their ohlins shock was pleased with his work. I am posting now to tell you, DO NOT USE HIM! I bought my rear shock off ebay in December, and immediately called and shipped it to Steve Matthewson. After talking with him on the phone he sounded like a very reputable ohlins service center. I sent my shock and after numerous phone calls and badgering, he finally returned my rebuilt shock late March. He kept giving me excuses why it hadn't shipped, like parts not coming in. It got to a point he stopped answering my phone calls. I rode on it for about a month and the seal blew (less than 1000 miles). I'm not really blaming craftsmanship, might have been defective parts. Anyway, I called him and he said he would fix it at no charge under warranty since it was less than 1000 miles. He told me he would have the parts within a week and he would ship it back to me intermediately. That was April 28th I sent it to him and today is June 15th. I have still not received my shock. I have called, and called, and I'm sure he is screening my calls now. The one phone call he did answer about 3 weeks ago claimed he had sent it and I should have it by now. I was in the process of moving my house so things were a little crazy at the time. I asked him to ship it BEFORE the move date so I wouldn't have to deal with mail forwarding. I kept waiting and waiting, finally called him again, and again, and again. No answer, so I called from my wife's phone and he picked up right away. I caught him off guard, and after a long pause he gave me a huge B.S. story about how the box was returned to him in very bad condition and he would send me a picture of it as well as send it out the next day and send me the tracking number. I never got the text, nor did I ever recieve the tracking number to prove he sent the shock. That was Thursday. I don't know what to do... I have about $300 wrapped up into this shock and I WANT IT BACK. I am warning everyone on this forum NOT TO USE STEVE MATTHEWSON AT SUSPENSION SYSTEMS. If anyone has suggestions on how to get either my money or my shock back, I'm willing to listen.

Scott Crawford

Good evening all, A while back I had a rear shock on my R1100rs blow a seal. I managed to find a good deal on an Ohlins on ebay. Per this forum, I was referred to Steve Matthewson at Suspension Systems in NY. I can't seem to pin point the exact thread right now, but the person who used him to rebuild their ohlins shock was pleased with his work. I am posting now to tell you, DO NOT USE HIM! I bought my rear shock off ebay in December, and immediately called and shipped it to Steve Matthewson. After talking with him on the phone he sounded like a very reputable ohlins service center. I sent my shock and after numerous phone calls and badgering, he finally returned my rebuilt shock late March. He kept giving me excuses why it hadn't shipped, like parts not coming in. It got to a point he stopped answering my phone calls. I rode on it for about a month and the seal blew (less than 1000 miles). I'm not really blaming craftsmanship, might have been defective parts. Anyway, I called him and he said he would fix it at no charge under warranty since it was less than 1000 miles. He told me he would have the parts within a week and he would ship it back to me intermediately. That was April 28th I sent it to him and today is June 15th. I have still not received my shock. I have called, and called, and I'm sure he is screening my calls now. The one phone call he did answer about 3 weeks ago claimed he had sent it and I should have it by now. I was in the process of moving my house so things were a little crazy at the time. I asked him to ship it BEFORE the move date so I wouldn't have to deal with mail forwarding. I kept waiting and waiting, finally called him again, and again, and again. No answer, so I called from my wife's phone and he picked up right away. I caught him off guard, and after a long pause he gave me a huge B.S. story about how the box was returned to him in very bad condition and he would send me a picture of it as well as send it out the next day and send me the tracking number. I never got the text, nor did I ever recieve the tracking number to prove he sent the shock. That was Thursday. I don't know what to do... I have about $300 wrapped up into this shock and I WANT IT BACK. I am warning everyone on this forum NOT TO USE STEVE MATTHEWSON AT SUSPENSION SYSTEMS. If anyone has suggestions on how to get either my money or my shock back, I'm willing to listen.

Scott Crawford

You go to love this part about the internet. We now have one pro and one con. Flip a coin, deal with him or no deal?

Scott, did you ever verify with Ohlins themselves to verify if there were any parts issues with this particular company as far as receiving parts?

I did not. I'm ok with long lead times, but Steve has never communicated this to me. If he had called and told me the parts weren't going to be in for a while, I would not be complaining. The lack of communication leads me to believe he is lying through his teeth everytime I call asking for an explanation on why I have not yet received my shock.

I did not. I'm ok with long lead times, but Steve has never communicated this to me. If he had called and told me the parts weren't going to be in for a while, I would not be complaining. The lack of communication leads me to believe he is lying through his teeth everytime I call asking for an explanation on why I have not yet received my shock.

Communication is the name of the game. This can be problematic in a busy retail store running with too few people. No matter the excuse communication is usually far more important in satisfaction than anything else. I hope this works out for you.

Maybe try this?

If the company is located in a relatively small town call up the local police. This is a civil matter but hear me out. Tell them you need a favor as you're too far away to drive over to the company in question. Tell the officer you've been dealing with this particular company and have given them x amount of dollars, no need to get into specifics, and also tell him you have been unable to get hold of anyone at the company for whatever period of time. Would they mind sending someone by the company at their convenience to verify the company is still in business.

If a small town my bet is the officer will walk inside the business and advise them a customer is unable to get hold of them. Maybe this will accomplish something for you. Make any sense?

Its been one week since I surprised him with my phone call. He said he would send it out the next day and send me the tracking number for proof. Guess what... I still have not received either my shock or the tracking number. It takes three days from his door to mine... I've checked. I've texted him numerous times to remind him to send me the tracking number. After the 2nd time, he stopped replying to my text messages... AGAIN! I did a little research and the guy runs the business out of his home after hours. Any suggestions for that? His website is http://www.smsuspensionsystems.com/. Honestly... I live in Indiana and I'm no stranger to long rides. I can make it to his front door in 7 hours. Thinking seriously about a road trip to pay him a visit. Luckily I have a flexible work schedule so if he isn't around, I can wait for a day or so in the area until he comes back. I apologize for this being a "rant" thread, but this is getting really frustrating. For all I know, he has taken my money and turned around and sold my shock on eBay.

Its been one week since I surprised him with my phone call. He said he would send it out the next day and send me the tracking number for proof. Guess what... I still have not received either my shock or the tracking number. It takes three days from his door to mine... I've checked. I've texted him numerous times to remind him to send me the tracking number. After the 2nd time, he stopped replying to my text messages... AGAIN! I did a little research and the guy runs the business out of his home after hours. Any suggestions for that? His website is http://www.smsuspensionsystems.com/. Honestly... I live in Indiana and I'm no stranger to long rides. I can make it to his front door in 7 hours. Thinking seriously about a road trip to pay him a visit. Luckily I have a flexible work schedule so if he isn't around, I can wait for a day or so in the area until he comes back. I apologize for this being a "rant" thread, but this is getting really frustrating. For all I know, he has taken my money and turned around and sold my shock on eBay.

Did you contact the police as suggested?

I have not yet. Since I got a hold of him, I figured I would give him another chance. Planning to call the police tomorrow though.

I have not yet. Since I got a hold of him, I figured I would give him another chance. Planning to call the police tomorrow though.

Other chances can be good. Just be careful. When business people don't get back to you in a business-like manner there is substantial risk. Unfortunately 100% of the risk is on your shoulders.

Sorry you are having issues.

Sometimes trial by Internet isn't a fair trial. Both sides have a story typically. The owner may not be a member here and not have an opportunity to give his...hopefully Off-line if he is as it is a business transaction between you two.

I had a part at a business that got wiped out by a hurricane a few years back...I just had to accept the apology I got and still do business with that company. I have seen good companies suffer due to Internet comments and one sided views.

The fact he runs a business out of his home nowadays is not a big deal. We have a local Ohlin's guru that does the same thing . I do agree communication is key and would expect such.

Hope a resolution is forthcoming for you

He is not a member here, but at some point I do plan to send him the link to this thread so he can read my feelings. I would very much like to have my shock before that happens, otherwise I may never get my shock. If he had a good explanation, I would accept it and write a full apology on this thread to negate everything I have written. BUT since that is not the case, and a good explanation has not surfaced, I stand my ground. I have never been one to purposely "bad mouth" anyone, but I also do not like to be taken advantage of, and I very much feel that is the case.

He is not a member here, but at some point I do plan to send him the link to this thread so he can read my feelings. I would very much like to have my shock before that happens, otherwise I may never get my shock. If he had a good explanation, I would accept it and write a full apology on this thread to negate everything I have written. BUT since that is not the case, and a good explanation has not surfaced, I stand my ground. I have never been one to purposely "bad mouth" anyone, but I also do not like to be taken advantage of, and I very much feel that is the case.

Are there any MOA members who live near this individual? Perhaps one could pay him a (non-threatening) visit to see what's up.

Been watching this one... Makes me wonder if Ohlins actually screens or qualifies their rebuild shops in any way. Not long ago, I sent my front to Noleen J6 Suspension Technologies (Hesperia CA) for a rebuild after it puked its fluid. They didn't bother to check the spring while they had it apart. When I got the shock back, I was not able to set the initial sag, since the spring had lost about a quarter-inch of its length.

Been watching this one... Makes me wonder if Ohlins actually screens or qualifies their rebuild shops in any way. Not long ago, I sent my front to Noleen J6 Suspension Technologies (Hesperia CA) for a rebuild after it puked its fluid. They didn't bother to check the spring while they had it apart. When I got the shock back, I was not able to set the initial sag, since the spring had lost about a quarter-inch of its length.

Maybe some good advice here:

There are very few folks who do enough rebuilds to actually become knowledgeable about what they are doing. Save yourself time and trouble. Unless you know with certainty that you are dealing with a knowledgeable rebuilder just deal with Ohlins direct.

It might be a good idea to get a hold of Ohlins and see what they have to say about this rebuilder. They might even be able to help if he has any relationship with them.

I'll try and call Ohlins and see what they say. I called the sherriff's office and they only tried to get a hold of him once with no success. I dont think they will try again.

Back