Thread: Progressive (Brand) Rear shocks for Airhead?

Progressive (Brand) Rear shocks for Airhead?

Anyone have an opinion about Progressive Brand Rear shocks for Airhead - R100/7 ??

Good, bad, or better to go with Ikon (Koni's)??

Thanks,

Many moons ago, I had Progressives on the rear of my '73 R75. They were what the original shocks "should have been", but no more. Maybe they've improved since.
    I put a Koni on my K100LT, and thought it was an excellent shock.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYLEE View Post
    Anyone have an opinion about Progressive Brand Rear shocks for Airhead - R100/7 ??

Good, bad, or better to go with Ikon (Koni's)??

Thanks,
    Yes, better to go with Ikon...and I have tried them both
    1991 R100/RT - 1984 R100/RS
    2006 KZ-14/ Hannigan HP
    1980 R100/EML-1964 R69S
    2013 F800GT

Personally I like Works Performance, they are rebuildable.
    Ambassador BMW MOA Ontario Canada
    President Niagara BMW Riders #298
    Knights of the Roundel #333
    1977 R100RS, (Retired) 1993 R100GS (just getting started)

P Monk

Progressive rear shocks

I have a set in a closet that came on the bike. Like Corbin seats, they are just too hard for my taste. Put on a set of
    Bob's retro shocks, wish I had gone with the IKONS or maybe Hagons. I had konis on a R75/6 bike and I really liked them
    P. Monk
    74 R90/6 (also know by bride as the Black Hole). 09 R1200 GS. My wife, 1953 model who has survived aplastic anemia and a bone marrow transplant.

I have Progressive springs on the front, and Progressive shocks (18 series, aluminum bodies, with heavy duty springs and adjustable rebound damping) on the rear. I like both quite a bit- especially the heavier springs on the rear, since I ride two up with my wife regularly. I've been using both for a number of years now and have found them to be good quality. They are rebuildable.

That said, when it came time to rebuild the shocks/springs on the rear a couple of years back, I did not have an easy time with the company- largely they were not helpful and I had to return the set up to them after they sent the shocks to me "rebuilt" with the old rusty springs still installed (the springs were supposed to be covered under warranty and replaced at the time of service). They also sent me an incomplete order when I ordered the heavy springs and adjusters. The lead tech was rude and generally disinterested in helping me. After several calls, I did finally found a helpful tech, and with his help I eventually bought the parts and spring compressor and set them up myself (which was pretty straightforward). Service is something I would consider when making my selection, particularly if you plan to keep them and rebuild later.
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

I have Progressives on the rear of my 1982 R100RT, so far so good. I do not believe they are rebuildable.
    As of last year, the 20+ year old ones on my old Yamaha Seca were reported to me as still working well.

I put on a pair of Progressive rear shocks on my '83 R100RT 3 years ago. After I got back from my trip last summer (AK-CA-AK) one of them failed and leaked fluid all over the place. I reverted back to the original Nivoamat units for now as they still seem to work but don't damp as well as I would like. But only 2 years on the Progressive units seems pretty poor.
    1983 R100RT hacked w/Cozy Rocket My blog
    2012 Ural Patrol
    Airhead #10576

Quote Originally Posted by richardak View Post
    I put on a pair of Progressive rear shocks on my '83 R100RT 3 years ago. After I got back from my trip last summer (AK-CA-AK) one of them failed and leaked fluid all over the place. I reverted back to the original Nivoamat units for now as they still seem to work but don't damp as well as I would like. But only 2 years on the Progressive units seems pretty poor.
    I heard as much from others.

So..I went with the rebuildable IKON's. After 2 weeks - I think they are great! Now, ... 2 years from now, I may not think so much so!!