• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Got another one.

crazydrummerdude

advrider.com
Haven't been able to log onto the BMWMOA forums for... 6 or so months, but here I am!

On Friday, I picked this up off craigslist for $500. It had been sitting for ~20 years. As this is my 4th 1974 /6 that I'm resurrecting from the dead, I don't really have any questions, so I'll just cough up the pictures.

The craigslist ad, titled "BMW R75/6 - $3500":

1_zps746ffa6a.jpg

"BMWR75/6 with a Windjammer SS windshield and Vetter luggage rack"

I emailed him, pointed out everything wrong with the bike and the price and offered him $500. 1/7th of his asking price. My power went out because of a tornado. They kind-of accepted my offer via email, but I didn't see it. Monday morning came around and I got the email and arranged to look at it that afternoon. I arrive, backyard full of cars and junk and the bike is sitting out, shocks are completely compressed, and it's sinking about 2 inches into the ground. Mechanically, it's all there and the engine turns over. It's a repaint but it's still in good shape. I have to explain to the guy what year it is, what the model number means, etc.

He kept saying "splash of gas and a new battery and it'll run." With all my might I pry open the gas tank and it reeks of bad gas. I pop the carb bowls and they're PACKED full of mud/dirt/white fuzz. I say, "this isn't too good." He replies, "It's not too bad either. I used to own a carburetor shop for 27 years."

I say I'm sticking with $500. He says someone is offering him $4200. Bull****. I advise him to take that offer. I get home and have an email asking if I can do $650. I reply $500 is my best price. On Friday, they tell me they'll take $500. Ok. Except, my truck is down for repairs.. So, off to U-Haul to rent one.

Upon arrival, he trimmed the weeds, found the seat and other luggage, and I found a key that opened the top box. With the help of his brother/cousin, we loaded it up and I headed home. Unloading it by myself out of the back of a U-Haul was tricky, but I managed. I just checked craigslist, and it's still on there, although I see he lowered the price to $2000 at some point.

Now, the pictures:

20130607011_zps204dd63c.jpg

20130607020_zpseafef5cf.jpg

Gonna need a new switch:

20130607022_zpsb672ed00.jpg

Found this picture in the top case. So, the guy rode around with a picture of his own bike? :ha

20130607030_zpsd95c895a.jpg

First thing I did was remove the fairing. Why are previous owners such hacks?

20130609002_zpsfe75c272.jpg

20130607014_zps72ea65c2.jpg

Some weird air shocks that don't work any more:

20130607012_zps79b9bf69.jpg

20130607037_zps203ea5cc.jpg

20130607031_zps60d892b9.jpg

20130607023_zpsa41d9a3d.jpg

The guy claimed to have a carburetor shop. Ironic that the carburetors are the worst part of the bike.

20130607042_zps615bd0ec.jpg

20130607050_zpsa782dfdf.jpg

This is the worst of the two sides, just a faint fuzz of rust on the top rocker block that I was able to wipe off with my finger. The other side was perfect. The plugs looked good, too.

20130607033_zps4b95d526.jpg

Aftermarket mufflers:

20130607053_zps74b21156.jpg

So, I tore the bike down all weekend. Overall, I'm satisfied with $500. These pictures don't do it justice; apart from the usual funk of sitting around since 1993, the bike is in really good shape. Everything is surprisingly clean. The front brake and carburetors appear to be the major concern.

I sorted the wiring pretty quick. I drained all the fluids and they looked pretty clean. All the bolts are coming off with some persuasion and it's going pretty smooth. The oil pan isn't wanting to pop off, but I'll get it.

The only problem so far is when I tore apart the carbs. Both idle jets sheared and broke in the carb bodies. My brothers a wizard with a Dremel tool, so I'll just send him the carbs while I casually look for spares in case they can't be saved.

As she sits now:

20130609011_zpsd8b08c70.jpg

Now what am I supposed to do with another dang windjammer?!

Shopping list:
master cylinder rebuild kit,
caliper rebuild kit,
carb rebuild kit (and/or replacement carbs),
fork gaiters,
different shocks,
headlight bucket,
horn,
right handlebar switch,
stock seat,
two aluminum turn signals,
turn signal stalks,
choke cables,
battery,
tires,
and on and on..

Welcome back. Love the fact you are saving something from certain death. Bring it to the next tech day in Labadie and let the other guys learn something from it. Waiting to see the photos, the actual bike, and your progress.

Wayne

So good to see you back BUD.........A real rider..... not a poser that gets someone else to build "his" bike, one who actually builds it and RIDES.........Ohhhhhh so good for these old eyes to see that IT's still out there......:bow.......God bless......Dennis

I do admire your sense of humor & willingness do dig into this "fixer upper"

Spoke to a guy a few weeks ago trying to sell an R69 for 2k in Louisiana - when I looked at the pictures, the bike looked like it'd been through at least 13 Hurricanes! He kept telling me "everything's there" No title.

After tossing the idea out to a couple forum members, the consensus was this bike was worse than a basket case - not even worth scrap.
Figured to get this bike up to snuff it would've been north of 20k.

Gotta know when to hold'm and when to fold'm

Here's a picture of the rear end.

Anyway CDD - thanks for the great share and funny story - can't believe the guy said he had a carb shop - what a crackup.

Attachments

• R69 Taillight.jpg
    R69 Taillight.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 273
You're sick. I know the virus. I don't know the proper name for it, but I too suffer from the same maladies. You will have some difficult decisions to make in the coming days and weeks as you walk out to the garage and decide which one to ride or work on today. So, you gonna make art or a daily rider? That thing has a nice set of wheels on it.:thumb

Nathan, I can see these photos just fine, I want to see more as you work on the bike. It is great to see the before and after photos, sort of like the fat person on TV that loses a bunch of weight and becomes a movie star.

Wayne

I do admire your sense of humor & willingness do dig into this "fixer upper"

Spoke to a guy a few weeks ago trying to sell an R69 for 2k in Louisiana - when I looked at the pictures, the bike looked like it'd been through at least 13 Hurricanes! He kept telling me "everything's there" No title.

After tossing the idea out to a couple forum members, the consensus was this bike was worse than a basket case - not even worth scrap.
Figured to get this bike up to snuff it would've been north of 20k.

Gotta know when to hold'm and when to fold'm

Anyway CDD - thanks for the great share and funny story - can't believe the guy said he had a carb shop - what a crackup.

Ken, a little polish and it will look like new.

:wave Nathan

Another project! Looks real familiar, except the headlight bucket/lens was intact when I took the bigass Windjammer off my white one. I am looking at a bent up bucket correct?

Those carbs look ready to go as well:hungover

Happy wrenching

Krpntr said:
You're sick. I know the virus. I don't know the proper name for it, but I too suffer from the same maladies.

I fight it every day. Stopped for a fabulous burrito the other day, and after I got a "nice bike" from the dude in the burrito line he said, "You know, a friend of mine has one of those all busted up in his barn."

MUST

NOT

GET

FRIEND'S

NUMBER

Good god, it was hard to resist! Thankfully, I had this on my mind:

ST1_zps01033baa.jpg

ST2_zps69dc3944.jpg

500 sounds about right. I got a possible lead on a utility shed Beemer, but the usual attitude, "It's a BMW!!"

Can only imagine what they'll say when I offer 500 bucks. Owners of barn finds have been watching too much picker TV and have no idea what it takes, time and cash, to put an old non-runner right. You're a hero wrench, keep up the good work.

Welcome back, Nathan! Good find and best of luck with it!

I just hate it when a seller claims to be a "mechanic"... I bought HD #2 from a guy who claimed he was a 'copter mechanic down at the El Toro Marine air base... damm it had "issues"...

Now there's a name from the past... Vetter! Used to stock 4 to 6 of them at a clip as they sold very well back in the day.

Best of luck!

Sweet!

What you have is a Vetter Tail Trunk, but it's sitting on Samsonite mounting hardware (triangular nouting frame). The Samsonite system was superior to Vetter's. IMO (and I worked for Vetter...). Hope you have the bags!

Samsonites show up on eBay occassionally.

Last edited:
Nice!!!!

You sir......are indeed sick....now where's the support group, like a young marine going into a cat house:groovy...seriously that is awesome I'm jealous, have fun and thank you for saving it.:thumb

Looks good to me! :evil

I am looking at a bent up bucket correct?

Those carbs look ready to go as well

No, that bucket is cut. Someone cut it all up. :hungover

..but, "a splash of gas and it'll run!"

I'm watching a set on ebay, we'll see how my current pair comes out once I'm done.

Sweet!

What you have is a Vetter Tail Trunk?, but it's sitting on Samsonite mounting hardware (triangular nouting frame). The Samsonite system was superior to Vetter's. IMO (and I worked for Vetter...). Hope you have the bags!

Samsonites show up on eBay occassionally.

Indeed, I have the Vetter trunk and Samsonite bags/mounts. I don't think I'll be holding onto any of it. If I find a Krauser rack, I'll just rotate my Krauser bags from bike to bike.

So good to see you back BUD.........A real rider..... not a poser that gets someone else to build "his" bike, one who actually builds it and RIDES.........Ohhhhhh so good for these old eyes to see that IT's still out there......:bow.......God bless......Dennis

Hahahaha, you're so right! I throw up a little every time I see that "other thread" pop up at the top of the board.

Drummer dude, looks like a good deal for $500, congrats. Can't believe how clean the rockers looked after your description of how the bike was found.

Back