Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Got another one.

BMW Rider
    Now there's a name from the past... Vetter! Used to stock 4 to 6 of them at a clip as they sold very well back in the day.

Best of luck!

Sweet!

What you have is a Vetter Tail Trunk, but it's sitting on Samsonite mounting hardware (triangular nouting frame). The Samsonite system was superior to Vetter's. IMO (and I worked for Vetter...). Hope you have the bags!

Samsonites show up on eBay occassionally.
    Last edited by lmo1131; 06-15-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner

Nice!!!!

You sir......are indeed sick....now where's the support group, like a young marine going into a cat house...seriously that is awesome I'm jealous, have fun and thank you for saving it.
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuvman View Post
    Here's a picture of the rear end.
    Looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I am looking at a bent up bucket correct?

Those carbs look ready to go as well
    No, that bucket is cut. Someone cut it all up.

..but, "a splash of gas and it'll run!"

I'm watching a set on ebay, we'll see how my current pair comes out once I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    Sweet!

What you have is a Vetter Tail Trunk?, but it's sitting on Samsonite mounting hardware (triangular nouting frame). The Samsonite system was superior to Vetter's. IMO (and I worked for Vetter...). Hope you have the bags!

Samsonites show up on eBay occassionally.
    Indeed, I have the Vetter trunk and Samsonite bags/mounts. I don't think I'll be holding onto any of it. If I find a Krauser rack, I'll just rotate my Krauser bags from bike to bike.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    So good to see you back BUD.........A real rider..... not a poser that gets someone else to build "his" bike, one who actually builds it and RIDES.........Ohhhhhh so good for these old eyes to see that IT's still out there.............God bless......Dennis
    Hahahaha, you're so right! I throw up a little every time I see that "other thread" pop up at the top of the board.

Drummer dude, looks like a good deal for $500, congrats. Can't believe how clean the rockers looked after your description of how the bike was found.
    // 1975 BMW R90/6 (cafe'd) // 1957 BMW R60 (in pieces) // 1967 Aermacchi/H-D Sprint 250 SS (custom special) // 1973 VW Type 181 Custom SOLD )

http://symphonyofshrapnel.blogspot.com

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by typ181r90 View Post
    Can't believe how clean the rockers looked after your description of how the bike was found.
    ..and that was the "bad" side. The other side is pristine.

Thumbs up Another Project!

Welcome back! Looks like you have an interesting project ahead of you! Good Luck!

So, judging from the switches it's a '74 (?)

Lew Morris

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by lmo1131 View Post
    So, judging from the switches it's a '74 (?)
    Indeed it is. I was hoping my 4th '74 would be an R90S so I could have every model from that year, but alas, another R75/6. Not a bad bike though.

Today was a day of positives and negatives. I guess it ended neutrally.

I started by cleaning the petcocks.

From now on, I am going to rebuild these sons of guns. So, I am going to combine the best parts of a handful of petcocks I have laying around. Wish I could reuse the Everbest, so much cooler looking than the Karcomas.

This is what happens when you let your choke/throttle cables rub against your petcocks for tens of thousands of miles.

Living where I do, I don't have access to my usual shop (now 500 miles away). So, I don't have a bunch of my standard tools, like a heat gun. So, I used a space heater.

...and popped it off. No sludge, just old oil. Nice.

It's a later, deep pan with a oil strainer extension. So, I guess I add an extra quart or so?

I was on the phone with my brother, talking about how well it was going. I jinxed it. When I cleaned the oil pan out and reinstalled it, two of the bolts never tightened. The threads in the block are stripped. I guess it'll just leak a little bit until I feel like heli-coiling it.

I noticed some more hackery. To circumvent the narrow fender brace, the PO cut out the middle of it. Whatever.

More progress to come. It's about time to start ordering parts.

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
    Indeed it is. I was hoping my 4th '74 would be an R90S so I could have every model from that year, but alas, another R75/6. Not a bad bike though.

Today was a day of positives and negatives. I guess it ended neutrally.

...and popped it off. No sludge, just old oil. Nice.

It's a later, deep pan with a oil strainer extension. So, I guess I add an extra quart or so?

More progress to come. It's about time to start ordering parts.
    That's likely a MAC pan. The extension is probably made from soft alu--make sure the bolts holding it on bear against steel washers, or they'll dig into it over time, and the pickup will become loose. I had to get mine spot faced--PO did not install washers and it was rattling around, with a chance of air entering above the pickup.

On the up side--you should be able to put three full quarts of oil into it, and still come out at the 1/2 quart low spot on the dipstick.

I'm loving that it's you and not me doing all this (this time) but I am still a bit envious. Perhaps I'll get another for this coming winter.

It does appear to be a Mac pan. Here's a picture from Anton's website:

Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

That's clean inside

Wow, I'm truly surprised to see it so clean inside, I would have suspected milky oil with corrosion especially sitting out for so long. Nice fender brace.... Enjoy sir, it looks like your having fun......sorry but where (state) did you find this?
    Glenn
    ...driving to work on my airhead
    '74 R60/6, '75 R60/6(boxes)

advrider.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 20774 View Post
    It does appear to be a Mac pan. Here's a picture from Anton's website:
    Definitely resembles that one, although mine doesn't have that circular section in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by gch71 View Post
    sorry but where (state) did you find this?
    Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

Loctite the bolts on the oil pickup. Start with maybe 1/2 quart more oil, bring it up to usual spot on stick (which for me is halfway between the two lines)

Looks like you got a steal deal there!!

Great shots! What camera/lens combination are you using?

Pretty amazing, really, that petcocks get the same choke cable "machining" process applied to the back sides. Ya would'a thunk.. .. ..

Lew Morris