• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Got another one.

So, judging from the switches it's a '74 (?)

Indeed it is. I was hoping my 4th '74 would be an R90S so I could have every model from that year, but alas, another R75/6. Not a bad bike though.

Today was a day of positives and negatives. I guess it ended neutrally.

I started by cleaning the petcocks.

20130615004_zps2506ecdf.jpg

From now on, I am going to rebuild these sons of guns. So, I am going to combine the best parts of a handful of petcocks I have laying around. Wish I could reuse the Everbest, so much cooler looking than the Karcomas.

20130615006_zpsd63ed86b.jpg

This is what happens when you let your choke/throttle cables rub against your petcocks for tens of thousands of miles.

20130615007_zps7b891485.jpg

Living where I do, I don't have access to my usual shop (now 500 miles away). So, I don't have a bunch of my standard tools, like a heat gun. So, I used a space heater.

20130615005_zpse2476657.jpg

...and popped it off. No sludge, just old oil. Nice.

20130615009_zps8487cb1d.jpg

It's a later, deep pan with a oil strainer extension. So, I guess I add an extra quart or so?

20130615014_zpseefb206e.jpg

I was on the phone with my brother, talking about how well it was going. I jinxed it. When I cleaned the oil pan out and reinstalled it, two of the bolts never tightened. The threads in the block are stripped. I guess it'll just leak a little bit until I feel like heli-coiling it.

20130615019_zps1670c23e.jpg

I noticed some more hackery. To circumvent the narrow fender brace, the PO cut out the middle of it. Whatever.

20130615017_zps593ee1bf.jpg

More progress to come. It's about time to start ordering parts.

Indeed it is. I was hoping my 4th '74 would be an R90S so I could have every model from that year, but alas, another R75/6. Not a bad bike though.

Today was a day of positives and negatives. I guess it ended neutrally.

...and popped it off. No sludge, just old oil. Nice.

20130615009_zps8487cb1d.jpg

It's a later, deep pan with a oil strainer extension. So, I guess I add an extra quart or so?

20130615014_zpseefb206e.jpg

More progress to come. It's about time to start ordering parts.

That's likely a MAC pan. The extension is probably made from soft alu--make sure the bolts holding it on bear against steel washers, or they'll dig into it over time, and the pickup will become loose. I had to get mine spot faced--PO did not install washers and it was rattling around, with a chance of air entering above the pickup.

On the up side--you should be able to put three full quarts of oil into it, and still come out at the 1/2 quart low spot on the dipstick.

I'm loving that it's you and not me doing all this (this time) but I am still a bit envious. Perhaps I'll get another for this coming winter.

That's clean inside

Wow, I'm truly surprised to see it so clean inside, I would have suspected milky oil with corrosion especially sitting out for so long. Nice fender brace:banghead.... Enjoy sir, it looks like your having fun.:thumb.....sorry but where (state) did you find this?

Loctite the bolts on the oil pickup. Start with maybe 1/2 quart more oil, bring it up to usual spot on stick (which for me is halfway between the two lines)

Looks like you got a steal deal there!!

Great shots! What camera/lens combination are you using?

Pretty amazing, really, that petcocks get the same choke cable "machining" process applied to the back sides. Ya would'a thunk.. .. ..

Great shots! What camera/lens combination are you using?

Canon XTi with a standard 18-55 lens. Heck, I think all of these shots have been just set at auto (no flash) with a papertowel between the camera and my grimey hand, not even looking through the view finder.

But yeah, the picture of the oil strainer catches my eye when I scroll past it.

Nice!I just finished a 1995 R100RT restore,it is very pretty and rideable. Even though it was painful and expensive I am thinking I need a next project .I don't even know why I bought the 95 except that,there it was,on the side of the road.

I don't even know why I bought the 95 except that,there it was,on the side of the road.

Sometimes they just need to be purchased.

I picked up some longer oil pan bolts, but the hardware store and Autozone were both sold out of hi-temp thread locker. So, that'll wait. I installed a new oil filter, but the bolt just didn't feel right. I can tighten it to about 17 ft-lb then it feels like it won't tighten any more. Yay. I have to think long and hard about what to do with it. That steel shaft going through the oil filter into the aluminum block gives me nightmares of more stripped threads in the block. That right now is the only concern I have with the bike.

Today, I took apart the caliper. Bleeder came right off without a problem and piston looks brand new. Life is good.

20130623003_zps1c777bdd.jpg

Since the carbs were so packed full of dirt, rust, etc, I had to disassemble the heads.

Previous owners, man. You'd think that someone who owns a fancy BMW would put at least a little effort/time/money into proper repairs and maintenance.

20130623005_zps27ba1be3.jpg

Right side. Cylinder felt nice, no ridges. Some light rust that wiped away easily.

20130623006_zps49a7e5a7.jpg

Removing valves.

20130623013_zpsf44d05d8.jpg

I was a bit disappointed to not find hardened valve seats, but oh well.. I'll worry about that in another 50-100k miles. Haha.

20130623014_zps6e3322ac.jpg

Left side. Again, good clean cylinder.

20130623015_zps66ad01b9.jpg

The worst valve of the four, the left intake (the bike was on it's side-stand). I think it'll clean up ok, even without my usual valve tools here with me.

20130623017_zpsc9afdeab.jpg

All tucked away until reassembly.

20130623018_zps02670eeb.jpg

Back