Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What Happens?

Thanks for the clear information, Roger.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

We've all learned something here today...thanks Roger.
    Bill Johnston

I disconnected the battery on my R1200ST last year, did not do the re set when I reconnected it, and the bike runs fine.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Quote Originally Posted by RINTY View Post
    I disconnected the battery on my R1200ST last year, did not do the re set when I reconnected it, and the bike runs fine.
    When reset, a default low voltage (for Closed throttle) and a default high voltage (for WOT) are already in the BMS-K (the software programmers put them there). The closer those default values are to your bike's actual, the less you would notice it, and they should be close.

More importantly though it appears from careful measurements that I've made of the Motronic MA 2.4 (and I suspect 2.2) that it keeps track of the lowest voltage that it sees coming from the TPS. It calls that lowest voltage closed throttle. It appears to do the same thing for WOT, which is less important.

Again from my testing, the importance of knowing the TPS voltage is so that the Motronic or BMSK can accurately assess idle (0.32 degrees on the Motronic), fast idle (>1.28 degrees) and Overrun Fuel Cutoff (RPM greater than 1800 and TPS below 2 degrees). We're talking about very small numbers and very small voltages and the Motronic or BMS-K wants to know accurately when it should be in which mode.

The moral of the story is if you do nothing, it will probably be fine but if you do the TPS reregistration procedure the Motronic or in your case the BMS-K gets to the right answers faster.

Thanks for that, Roger. I pulled the battery right after I purchased the bike, to look for a date stamp, and I was unaware at the time, of the re set procedure.
    Last edited by Rinty; 06-15-2013 at 07:04 PM.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."