• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Just can't get used to my R1100RT

oldnslow

It's a way of life!
I'm just venting here. I have put 3000 miles on my 98 R100RT so far. I just can't seem to get used to this bike. I miss the old K bike engine. I love the ergos of the RT, and the style is outstanding, I just cant love the engine. I don't like the 'thump' of the twin. I miss that sewing machine 4 cylinder, that would pull smooth as silk all the way from idle to 7500 rpm. I wish there was a R-RT with a K engine! I know...the k1200GT...that bike has a few deal killers too. (small side case, a little too 'sparse' in the dash area, just a little too sporty ergos)

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and admit that a K1200LT is what I want. Geez, I didnt think I was that old.:brow

Ride it and you'll love it!

I still love my 76 R100RS. But my 94 R1100RS has it beat in so many ways. Now I am working on my 2007 R1200RT conversion to an RS.
I'm just a RS kinda guy, to my grave.

I have had 3 LTs and 3 RT. Rode RT's for work for 10. Rode the 1100, 1150 and 1200. To me the 1200 is the cat's meow. The 1200 still has that little twin buzz but smooth once on the highway like the LT.

dbrick, that is the general idea, but not with the "current" or old style RS fairing. I have a faring from a CBX Honda that I am mounting to the RT chassis, to which I am integrating the RT lowers (which actually mimic the original RS fairing lowers). The CBX fairing is smaller in width and profile than the RT fairing, but larger than the current RS fairing. Round headlight (traditional me), two guages in the top inside the fairing (clock and voltmeter), etc.

It'll take some work, and a lot of home fab design (done that before) but I think a "new" RS is entirely possible. Other changes:
1. R1200R front fender, I don't like the "beaky" front fender on the RT
2. Tire hugger rear fender, my own design, to get ride of the rear fender "tail" on the RT
3. Custom seat set of my own design (built a custom seat on my current RS)
4. Remus exhaust to give it some RS "bark"
5. Custom rear tail rack to accept a GIVI tail box without a added-on mount plate setup.
6. Built in driving lights into the fairing/lowers area.
7. Built in air ducts in the front of the fairing for cooling air behind the fairing. The original RS fairing can be kinda hot behind it.
8. Built in mirrors on the CBX fairing so nothing is projecting out into the airstream to mess up the flow.

Ride it and you'll love it!

I still love my 76 R100RS. But my 94 R1100RS has it beat in so many ways. Now I am working on my 2007 R1200RT conversion to an RS.
I'm just a RS kinda guy, to my grave.

For the last couple of weeks, between thunderstorms, I've been commuting on the '94 R11RS. I've got a Givi V46 topcase installed which easily handles my laptop courier bag and when parked, my helmet.

This morning, I decided it was a good day to ride the R100RS. I couldn't agree more, the R11RS has it beat is so many ways.

Andy, I can't wait to see pics of the "conversion" you're working on. Sounds very interesting.

With the boxer twin finally with a balancer shaft, I'm sure you'd find the R1200RT plenty smooth.

I was so completely and utterly turned off by the vibration of 1985 K-bikes that I've never considered a K for a nanosecond since, but I do hear they have been improved.

Yes, maybe the original Oilhead at 1100 and then 1150 was past time for the balancer shaft, but on my R1100S at least it's only really annoying around town. In the usual twisties, I never notice.

A local BMW. Dealer has a 2005 R1200ST for sale. MIGHTY fine looking machine, IMO.

You'll be in the minority with that viewpoint. Poor sales and dropped after only 38 months in production would attest. Of course the R1200S was actually good looking but I assume the scary looking seat had the same result. Something did.

I'm just venting here. I have put 3000 miles on my 98 R100RT so far. I just can't seem to get used to this bike. I miss the old K bike engine. I love the ergos of the RT, and the style is outstanding, I just cant love the engine. I don't like the 'thump' of the twin. I miss that sewing machine 4 cylinder, that would pull smooth as silk all the way from idle to 7500 rpm. I wish there was a R-RT with a K engine! I know...the k1200GT...that bike has a few deal killers too. (small side case, a little too 'sparse' in the dash area, just a little too sporty ergos)

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and admit that a K1200LT is what I want. Geez, I didnt think I was that old.:brow

I know exactly what you mean. Being the kind of person that I am, I'll take it off your hands and let you get back to what you are used to...:)

I can understand. The 1100 and 1150 engines do feel kind of agricultural compared to a modern 4 cylinder motorcycle. I don't think I will never find a motor I love more than a Honda V4, I have owned two of them. The problem is, they don't come in a platform near as good as the BMW platforms, or at least a platform that is what I'm after. No, I'm not talking dependability here, :D

I REALLY like the look of that. :thumb

Was it a kit or did you do a bunch of fabricating?

OMG, I'm running right now over to the Oil Head pic thread and tell them you said that:laugh

Bluehole will love that!

As for the pic, unfortunately David and I know nothing about the bike; it is a pic pinched from a French site, and we have emailed back and forth about it.

I REALLY like the look of that. :thumb

Was it a kit or did you do a bunch of fabricating?

I wish I could say it was mine, but it isn't. Rad found the pic on a European bike forum; all we know is this

The headlight treatment is poor, less smooth than the stock RS light. OTOH, I'll bet the light was cheaper than using BMW parts. The fairing/tank joint as the fairing sides drop would have been challenging; I wish we had more pictures.

Still, the overall look and proportion (and color!) are wonderful. I wonder how much weight it added; I wonder what it cost.

I wish I could say it was mine, but it isn't. Rad found the pic on a European bike forum; all we know is this

The headlight treatment is poor, less smooth than the stock RS light. OTOH, I'll bet the light was cheaper than using BMW parts. The fairing/tank joint as the fairing sides drop would have been challenging; I wish we had more pictures.

Still, the overall look and proportion (and color!) are wonderful. I wonder how much weight it added; I wonder what it cost.

The benefit of having been born in Montreal allows me to do some translating....First posting was by a guy looking to buy a fairing for his 1200. The guy who posted that picture doesn't know the person who owned the bike but seems to think it was BMW parts and some fabrication - not a kit.

I saw a kit this week which would turn an R1200R into something that looks like a /7 for a mere 3,100 Euros. Includes old school Krauser-type bags.
http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/06/12/retro-ize-your-r1200r/

Sorry for thread de-rail!

The benefit of having been born in Montreal allows me to do some translating....First posting was by a guy looking to buy a fairing for his 1200. The guy who posted that picture doesn't know the person who owned the bike but seems to think it was BMW parts and some fabrication - not a kit.

That makes sense. There's not enough volume in doing this to justify someone's putting a kit together.
Still pretty compelling. If I won the lottery...

I saw a kit this week which would turn an R1200R into something that looks like a /7 for a mere 3,100 Euros. Includes old school Krauser-type bags. http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/06/12/retro-ize-your-r1200r/

Yeah, that was all over the R1200 Board this week. It's pretty, for those of us who think /6s were the ne plus ultra of BMW motorcycle design.

Back