• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New to MOA and have question

buckmagic

I ride a 2002 RT-P, Just had a clutch job done. I rode the bike 65 miles at RMP of 5-6000. When I got to the next town my battery light came on. I was able to jump the bike BUT it would not run. Choke and die within 20 seconds from taking jumpers off. Just spent 4 days with the dealer I bought it from and he said it was a belt. Any ideas out there. I do turn my own wrench but a bike (especially Beemer) is a new world to me.

Dave
Van Nuys, CA

If the belt isn't turning the alternator, then, yeah, that's what will happen. The belt is a cheap item; give it a go.

Depending on the age and condition of your battery, it may not appreciate having been fully drained, and you may need to replace it as well.

I ride a 2002 RT-P, Just had a clutch job done. I rode the bike 65 miles at RMP of 5-6000. When I got to the next town my battery light came on. I was able to jump the bike BUT it would not run. Choke and die within 20 seconds from taking jumpers off. Just spent 4 days with the dealer I bought it from and he said it was a belt. Any ideas out there. I do turn my own wrench but a bike (especially Beemer) is a new world to me.

Dave
Van Nuys, CA
Welcome to the forum! The belt is a good guess but if it's an older battery, it could have croaked on you. A little testing with a meter, VOM or whatever you got should get you on the right track. Gary

jump wont run

I ride a 2002 R1150RT-P. I just did a cluitch job a couple weeks ago. I went for a ride. 65 miles out my battery light came on. My RPM was at 5-6000. Four days later, the dealer (non-BMW) said it was a belt. Don't really know if he changed alternator (under warranty) or not. Any ideas ?

Dave
Van Nuys, CA

First off, as always, what are the miles on the bike?

So, you say YOU did the clutch job yourself, and now you are asking about the alternator and drive belt?

A 2002 R1150-RTP would certainly not qualify for any warranty work anymore. Unless it si part of a recall campaign that was not yet applied to the bike VIN. Also, the alternator belt is easy enough to replace on the side of the road if need be, as long as you have the replacement belt. The belt is available at NAPA stores.

To me it sounds like the alternator belt failed, which makes sense given that your battery light came on after 65 miles. Kind of surprised it went that far in fact. The alternators on the oilheads last a LONG time. I checked mine at 120,000 miles and the brushes were still not half worn down. If the bearings in the alternator don't go bad, there is no reason an Oilhead alternator wouldn't go 200,000 miles without service.

So, if you are asking if the dealer replaced the alternator BELT under warranty, I'd say likely no. Why would he unless there was some electrical problem with the bike, or if you directed him to change it. But, if you did your own clutch job, it is certainly within your abilities to replace the altrenator belt. But, if you are saying the dealer did the clutch job, unless he had reason to check the alternator I don't see why he would have even inspected it.

A worn, loose, and/or improperly adjusted alternator belt will keep the alternator/regulator from charging the battery. The recommended change interval is 36,000 miles, but I've seen them in bad shape before that. They're cheap enough and easy enough that if there are any doubts, just do it.
Van Nuys - Juan (JR) at Angel City is pretty decent; he should be able to help directly. If he's busy or there are any other mitigating factors, go to Valdi in Torrance.
There are a couple of different belts, depending on the model year & pulley setup; make sure you get the right one.

I ride a 2002 R1150RT-P. I just did a cluitch job a couple weeks ago. I went for a ride. 65 miles out my battery light came on. My RPM was at 5-6000. Four days later, the dealer (non-BMW) said it was a belt. Don't really know if he changed alternator (under warranty) or not. Any ideas ?

Dave
Van Nuys, CA
Hi Dave, I merged up your two posts that way you will have the best chance of getting a helpful answer. If you need any help on the forum- Just ask. Gary

Back