• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ABS flashing lights.

Hi this is my first time using this forum so im learning as fast as I can.
My problem is my 2003 R1150RT,flashing ABS lights at first application of brakes. I had this problem last year but would just stop and restart engine and it would go away and then would not reappear for a couple of month. just installed brand battery .Ive been reading about resetting the ABS system and would like to know if I should try that first and some guidance.
lol I still trying to find the diagnostic plug for this bike.
Thanks Leo

That bike has the iABS servo brakes. They reset everytime the ignition is turned on. There is no other reset as in previous ABS bikes. You need to do some problem determination. Those flashing lights are trying to tell you something. You have to decode the message.

Gen OFF, ABS ON = Only residual braking in both circuits.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 1Hz = ABS not available. Pull-away test not completed.
Gen OFF, ABS flashes at 4Hz = Only residual braking function available in both circuits.
Gen ON, ABS off = rear light/brake light defective.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 1 Hz = At least one brake circuit without ABS.
Gen ON, ABS flashes at 4Hz =At least one brake circuit in residual braking function mode.
Gen AND ABS flashing alternately at 1Hz = Fluid level in Integral ABS too low. Low-voltage

The plug is under the passenger seat (if all is stock); fat dark round plastic cylinder with a cap, hopefully all is held in place by a clip.

When was the last time you had a FULL system flush...? And do you ever "exercise" the ABS by purposely getting into it, front & rear, getting up to speed and then applying the brakes HARD? You need to know that the servos/etc. will actually work if/when you have a real need.

Check the warning lights' blink pattern carefully as suggested; also REALLY REALLY VERIFY that both your Tail light and your Brake light are functioning properly, and not "half" lit (bad bulb, worn socket) - the computer has a backup mode where, if one fails, the other assumes partial duty.

Back