• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

100,000 Ft Ride

That's on my list. This year I will be in the Boundary Waters so perhaps next?

Looks like a lot of fun. Colorado is riding heaven.

I'll let you know how it goes. I stumbled across it and signed up! Seemed like a great excuse to see more of a beautiful state by bike.

That sounds like a great trip. My old man is a crazy paddler who goes all over the world with his canoe to rivers I've never heard of.

I'm going to sign up for that pass bagger. It may take a while, as I only get out there once a year, but another good excuse to ride! Thanks for the link.

I've done that ride a few times, sometimes signed up and official, sometimes just meeting friends along the way.
the route changes each year, tho some passes are pretty much guaranteed due to proximity to Denver (Loveland, Tennessee or Fremont, etc.) If they advise having a Nat'l Parks Pass, you're going up into RMNP, and doing a portion of Trail Ridge Rd. That would then include Rabbit Ear's and Muddy going towards Steamboat, and likely Willow Creek as well. If no pass suggested, then you're going into the central and/or southern mountains- maybe Wolf Creek, Mammoth, possibly Independence, etc. Either way- count on a 400-500 mile day of mountain riding, if you want to do the whole route. Bring, and drink, plenty of water (best preventative to altitude sickness).
Enjoy- it's always a good time, especially nice if you're unfamiliar with the area and want a quickie primer on spectacular vistas and constant temp changes.

I've done that ride a few times, sometimes signed up and official, sometimes just meeting friends along the way.
the route changes each year, tho some passes are pretty much guaranteed due to proximity to Denver (Loveland, Tennessee or Fremont, etc.) If they advise having a Nat'l Parks Pass, you're going up into RMNP, and doing a portion of Trail Ridge Rd. That would then include Rabbit Ear's and Muddy going towards Steamboat, and likely Willow Creek as well. If no pass suggested, then you're going into the central and/or southern mountains- maybe Wolf Creek, Mammoth, possibly Independence, etc. Either way- count on a 400-500 mile day of mountain riding, if you want to do the whole route. Bring, and drink, plenty of water (best preventative to altitude sickness).
Enjoy- it's always a good time, especially nice if you're unfamiliar with the area and want a quickie primer on spectacular vistas and constant temp changes.

Thanks for the pointers! I've been out there quite a bit, but never on my bike so I'm really looking forward to the ride. I've driven over many that you mentioned, but never been in the Park, nor explored Wolf Creek, so looks like a win-win no matter which way they send us.

as of today, Wolf Creek Pass is closed due to wildfires. that's a road closure status that could be changing in CO daily this summer. Right now we have 8 major fires being fought. So far, it seems to be a draw.

I will be there. Looking forward to it. After I am going to head to Utah's National Parks.

Bernie

How is the dual sport route, technically speaking. Something that someone with moderate skills will get themselves into trouble?

The ride is different each year, so no way to gauge this year's route based on any previous year's path. Pieces will pretty much always be repeated- those passes closest to Denver- but as to the rest? well, that's anybody's guess. And you don't get your route sheet until you show up at the Foothills that morning.
a d/s option is relatively new, no clue as to what they're giving. Likely dirt roads, but nothing real extreme. Maybe.

100,000ft ride 2013 ...log

Could you post a copy of the "log" for that ride?

Last edited:
Back