• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

'12 RT to '13 GSA

tuckerman

I have the opportunity to trade my '12 RT for a '13 GSA. I've always lusted after one of these bikes for the looks, range and ability to take some roads off the beaten path. Is this a terrible mistake to give up what is a great bike that has music and cruise? I'm so torn and don't want to feel like I've made a mistake, and for the life of me I can't make up my mind. I've put 13K on the RT in a year and enjoy it. Help!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the opportunity to trade my '12 RT for a '13 GSA. I've always lusted after one of these bikes for the looks, range and ability to take some roads off the beaten path. Is this a terrible mistake to give up what is a great bike that has music and cruise? I'm so torn and don't want to feel like I've made a mistake, and for the life of me I can't make up my mind. I've put 13K on the RT in a year and enjoy it. Help!

No one is going to know the answer to that. I love the RT and seriously like the GSA. I've ridden a GSA for maybe 400 miles in pouring rain and have ridden an RT for thousands of miles overall. I would personally choose the RT but my opinion has nothing to do with what you may like.

In the end both bikes are fabulous machines!!

No one is going to know the answer to that. I love the RT and seriously like the GSA. I've ridden a GSA for maybe 400 miles in pouring rain and have ridden an RT for thousands of miles overall. I would personally choose the RT but my opinion has nothing to do with what you may like.

In the end both bikes are fabulous machines!!

I know it's a personal decision, but you're right on with your answer. I haven't had the chance to ride both and the closest dealer is a ride away. How was the GSA in the rain for weather? I know it can't be as good as the RT, but was it to your liking? What makes the RT for you over the GSA? Just trying to weigh opinions of those who know.

That's the problem! I can't afford both.

GSA has music/cruise:)

My GSA1200 of five years now, love it. I would never go RT from my GSA:). KLT1200, RTs big brother was my last bike with ALL the goodies. I DO NOT miss anything from it, well maybe electric windscreen KLT had. My Kaoko manual CC works very fine and easy and my helmet has SENA Bluetooth and IPOD, music all day if I like, all on GSA. IT(GSA) tours better than any BMW I ever had with only ONE fall back in mpg's. The GSA is poorest of BMWs in this regard. NEW water cooled GSA is not available yet, another year. You get the last of the GSAs in 2013, Hexhead. Don't look back for the questions you brought up above, as the GSA has it all:). The electric windscreen is not on GSA, but I have found it a non issue and have added a Laminar LIP on my GSA screen, as I am taller and it works perfect. Randy

Weather question!

The BIG GSA gas tank equals the RT fairing as I see them, ridden both. The BIG tank is wrapped around the legs, just like fairing. The upper faired RT gives more, but so little a change from my KLT to GSA, I am not bothered at all riding my GSA in all weather. Sure the windscreen is smaller on GSA, but the wings just below are real helpful in deflecting also. These only come on GSAs. I had to add the LLIP, which made mine perfect at my 6'+. I am much more comfy riding GSA, with much better leg room(not bent so much). Good luck, Randy

Ride the GSA. See if the dealer will let you have one for a few days as an extended test ride. Then, choose the one you like.

I, for one, was about 99% leaning towards a GSA.... until I rode the RT a few times. I'm not much of an off-roader and put long days in, so the creature comforts of the RT won me over. Plus, I ride in all weather, so the added weather protection of the RT, especially in winter, helped make my decision.

I know it's a personal decision, but you're right on with your answer. I haven't had the chance to ride both and the closest dealer is a ride away. How was the GSA in the rain for weather? I know it can't be as good as the RT, but was it to your liking? What makes the RT for you over the GSA? Just trying to weigh opinions of those who know.

That's the problem! I can't afford both.

I happen to think the RT is one of the finer motorcycles in the world. And, yes weather protection is better than the GSA. Having said that I do have proper rain gear and I stay 100% dry on either bike. Does more rain hit you on the GSA? Absolutely, substantially more. But it really doesn't matter if you're dressed properly.

GSA's to me are the 2-wheeled version of a 4-wheel SUV. Very macho and very good looking machine. My preference just happens to be a touring bike however. I have no interest in taking any type of a boxer off-road; too big and bulky IMO. Fire roads OK but real off-roading? Too much to cope with.

My ideal twosome? One R1200RT in the garage parked next to a F800GS in the same garage. Still too big for real off-roading but an acceptable compromise IMO. I love both off-roading and touring but touring has always been my primary goal. Boring to most but put me on a super-slab and let it go hour after hour with lots and lots of miles underneath me. Don't care much for smelling the roses so let's just get from Point A to Point B in an extremely comfortable manner. And return for work. I'm a very happy camper under that scenario. I prefer the overall appearance of the RT and the better weather protection as I will ride in ANYTHING as long as there is no ice or snow on the pavement.

Although weather protection does rank up there in importance as long as you dress properly you can do the NYC to Cali thing on either bike easy as can be. I say pick the one who's appearance gets you excited!

Right on:)

Most dealers give rather short test rides. YOU find your dealer lets you have the bike for an hour or two, makes a huge difference in appeal. YOU may also have a great friend that rides the GSA or travel with on tours? Trade bikes, as you share the road travelling together. I would do this for a rider I felt good about and seen ride. Randy

Sometimes ya just have to scratch an itch. I have had one of each. Go for it, chances are you will have a lot of fun with the GS. And oh my god! get ready for never ending farkling. No bike has more after market bits made for it than a GS.:D

Thank you gentlemen for all the input. I know this type of thread has probably been beaten to death, but I just needed some different perspective. Part of me says its just an itch I need to scratch. The other part says it would be nice to do all the fire roads and such. I bought the RT thinking it was going to be a bike to keep for the long haul and I could ride my wee Strom for light dirt duty. After riding the BMW, I find there's not much way I can throw a leg over the Strom and ride it cross country, even as farkled as it is. I'm ruined!

Outside of commuting, I really like to ride long distances. Out west, iron butt stuff, thinking of doing a few smaller rally's. I'm starting to think that if I could do all those things, AND ride to some forest service campgrounds, CO dirt mountain passes and the like when I got there, that it would be the best of both worlds.

It would get me out of BMW FS 3easy deal and into a true finance. You also get all three aluminum panniers included until sometime in July. Again, I appreciate all the feedback and real life experience. My only pause is if I think I've made a mistake, that's the bike I'll be "stuck" with for the next long time. Probably not a bad problem to have.

Jon

Last edited:
It all depends on your use for the bike. My RT is my main commuter and I'm on it 7 days a week. The wind protection and comfort are second to none. I don't go out seeking dirt roads, but when I come across one I have to pass on a trip, the RT can typically handle it just fine. The biggest difference I think you'll notice is the fuel economy. On my trip to Yosemite the other week, I averaged 48 mpg, and that's including a good stint of flying across the flatlands at 80+. If I did plan a trip where I intended dirt riding, I'd consider the 1200GS, but would more likely go with a smaller, more dirt-oriented bike (a 650 of some sort).

Anyways, it's you're choice. The GS is like the big fancy SUV of motorcycles and that is the popular thing now. I'll prefer my RT which to me is more like a nice 5 series bimmer.

You are just making it too hard on yourself. Buy the GS and keep the RT. Now you will be happy you have a choice of what to ride when the spirit moves you. Problem is the spirit. You will go nuts trying to figure out what to ride,,,,;)

Last edited:
................ My only pause is if I think I've made a mistake, that's the bike I'll be "stuck" with for the next long time. Probably not a bad problem to have.

Jon

You'll never know if you're about to make a mistake with certainty. However, a GSA can be a pretty good mistake to make!

I love riding throughout the Southwest. The desert has its own beauty and miles and miles of empty stretches to say nothing of incredibly different scenery from what I grew up with. It would be very cool to go off-roading all over the place out west!

Good:)

You have a great Suzuki VStrom! Those things are getting legendary in Suzuki lineup. Great rides. I see them everywhere I go on my GSA. My other is a KLR650'08 and its all farkeled to death for touring. A huge difference to GSA, but still tons of fun to tour on. Just slower. You may consider keeping the VStrom, but if youre GSA hungry, VStroms SELL quick, very quick:). The GSA2013 Hexhead does NOT have cruise, THE NEW water cooled one(GS Standard) DOES have cruise, but is not GSA for another year or more. Look into Kaoko CC, if you buy GSA. Its not electric, BUT very handy and easy to use. ANYHOW, I see VStroms, KLRs all over the planet touring FAR from home. Don't be too hard on them smaller CCs:). 70mph is fast enough:). Randy

You are going to buy the GS anyway

You have the GS fever. Enjoy it. I wanted one until I rode back with my buddy from Daytona in the rain. I felt sorry for him on his GSA while I was nestled behind my fairing on my RT.

Most people don't ride enough in foul weather for it to make a difference; I am not most people.

You have the GS fever. Enjoy it. I wanted one until I rode back with my buddy from Daytona in the rain. I felt sorry for him on his GSA while I was nestled behind my fairing on my RT.

Most people don't ride enough in foul weather for it to make a difference; I am not most people.

Yes, but you neglected to say how your buddy felt...

I've got no problem with just going 70. I'm kind of a 5 mph over kind of guy. It's just hard to make the decision to ride cross country when you know a mile-eater like the RT is sitting at home while I'm on the Strom. Even with an RDL.

Well, since I can't make up my mind and acting like a woman after all this great advice, I'm at the point at which I'll see if the dealer calls back. If not, I'll enjoy the hell out of my RT, and think about a water-cooled GSA with cruise in a year or two. I love the RT, it's just that I lust after a GSA. Hey, there's always that winning ticket I've got for Salem too!! By the way, is there a pill for the GS Fever?

If something comes up, I will surely let you guys know. I appreciate all the advice and opinions on both sides and like knowing a resource like this even exists.

Back