• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Too bad BMW does want to sell cop motorcycles........

And, how anyone can compare a Harley to R bike, w/o considering a 400 lb R1200S does not know what BMW can build. Now the original dry weight was 419 but between BST CF wheels, and a LiPe battery, I've taken the weight down, increasing handling, stopping and riding. Never mind the bike is easier to start with the replacement battery.

I've always found it odd that some BMW folks run Harleys down, but I don't see much from the Harley crowd on complaining about the BMW bikes.

As long as we are on 2 wheels, that's about all that matters.

first part: That's because the majority of the "Harley crowd" does not know any BMW. Never sat on one, never seriously looked at one, never rode one. There are some that don't even know that BMW makes motorcycles.

second part: totally agree!

I just spent the morning running around like a cop, with the cops on duty, as I ran civilian support for a local triathlon on some stunning two lane rural roads on an open course.

I have done this as well in San Antonio for a huge marathon....carrying a backwards sitting cameraman as well...going opposite of traffic flow and running lights as the motor LEO's waved me on was pretty cool. Running twice the limit with "permission" was a charge. Seeing that footage on ESPN a few weeks later and hearing my GSA growl in the background was sweet...following the female elite runners as our assignment didn't hurt either:thumb

Around here the local muni's and state have to competitive bid all units by law...it's all in how you write the specs for bids as to what you can purchase.You just don't buy what you want.
I went through that trying to buy electric utility equipment for years. The ABS requirement put H-D out for a few years. Austin has more BMW's still, but the county now has a lot of Connies in their fleet. The Austin guys were not pleased losing their H-D's...at first:brow

I can't imagine riding my R1200RT for two miles at parade (walking) speed, feathering the clutch and lurching from off to on-throttle. I'm also not too keen

peteon riding a Harley at those speeds either, especially on a really hot summer day.

I don't know what kind of deal H-D gives police forces, but they continue to dominate because of the moto officers' familiarity with them, the buy American thing, low maintenance costs, low seat and the suitability for slow speed work.

For higher speed work the RT would be the winner. Don't see many (any) H-Ds in the Tour de France bicycle race fleet. Lots of BMWs and Kawasaki GTR/Concours which seem to be the official m-c of cycle racing.

IMO, and from what I can tell, the other side of the Atlantic embraces sport touring models in a much higher percentage then in the US. Where in the US, because of HD marketing, a kool-aid drinker mentality was created towards the V Twin engine design, and cruiser style bikes, including the Japanese imports.
Of course there will always be the "buy American" push when it comes to police bikes in the US, but I believe that efficiency, officer safety(including ride characteristics, handling, etc) should be much more important then any other factors. If HD cannot supply it, then a department will look elsewhere. There are probably no police departments in Germany using HD's.

Most US police chiefs are considered dinosaurs, and that's who make policy and rarely change anything. Around 1985 I questioned why my department was doing something in a certain way that I considered to be archaic. In response I received a blank look for a moment, and then the actual words..."Because that's the way we have been doing it since 1950."

"Buy American" has a lot to do with it, and so does Harley Davidson's absolute committment to do whatever it takes to keep it's share of the market. Just try and get a $99/month lease payment on an almost 30K motorcycle. That's what Harley offered U.S. police departments.

Most US police chiefs are considered dinosaurs, and that's who make policy and rarely change anything. Around 1985 I questioned why my department was doing something in a certain way that I considered to be archaic. In response I received a blank look for a moment, and then the actual words..."Because that's the way we have been doing it since 1950."

"Buy American" has a lot to do with it, and so does Harley Davidson's absolute committment to do whatever it takes to keep it's share of the market. Just try and get a $99/month lease payment on an almost 30K motorcycle. That's what Harley offered U.S. police departments.

The $99 lease has not been about for the last 15 years..........starting to sound like your dinosaur chief.........lol

The $99 lease has not been about for the last 15 years..........starting to sound like your dinosaur chief.........lol

I said "offered" as in the past, to show what Harley was capable of doing to keep their share. It's been about 10 years since I saw that. Mike's H-D in Delaware was offering those leases even after H-D corporate stopped. It may have been even more recent than that but I can't be sure.

I said "offered" as in the past, to show what Harley was capable of doing to keep their share. It's been about 10 years since I saw that. Mike's H-D in Delaware was offering those leases even after H-D corporate stopped. It may have been even more recent than that but I can't be sure.

Our department went to Harley's in 1996 to 2000 and that was not an option for our department. I had always heard there was option like that out there but never heard an officer stated that their respectable departments had the type of lease......

Adding to the reason why posted this post. In years that I have dealt with police motorcycle and that is going on 19 years I have seen the BMW police sales rep, maybe twice. The Harley police rep at least if not more than 2 to 3 times a year. I know that police sales for Harley is a big market and probably why they put in so much support for law enforcement. BMW could do the same, if they wanted too.

Adding to the reason why posted this post. In years that I have dealt with police motorcycle and that is going on 19 years I have seen the BMW police sales rep, maybe twice. The Harley police rep at least if not more than 2 to 3 times a year. I know that police sales for Harley is a big market and probably why they put in so much support for law enforcement. BMW could do the same, if they wanted too.

Don't feel too bad. Dealers don't see the rep either. BMW is barely a blip on the radar screen when comparing unit sales to H-D.

Yes, I'm sure BMW could do the same. They already do to some extent here in Bergen County where their corporate HQs is located. They also give away quite a few brand new M/Cs to local police depts.

I've posted this before, that when I spoke with a H-D VP in Milwaukee, they said that Harley will do anything to keep their share of the market and said that they strongly feel that that 8 yr old boy riding in his father's car looks out and see a motor cop in the next lane, that when that boy reaches 18 yrs of age and looks to buy a M/C he will in the back of his mind recall seeing that cop on that Harley.

Sure see a lot of new RTP bikes coming out of crates at long beach bmw, bikes look pretty well set up except for department radio and gun rack. Explained to me that the harness is factory installed so equipment is plug and play
FYI police in downtown Amsterdam ride yamaha 230 street legal dirt bikes, so they can maneuver the narrow streets. Side arm, hand held radio and a MP5 slung over their shoulder, all they have

Yes, I'm sure BMW could do the same. They already do to some extent here in Bergen County where their corporate HQs is located. They also give away quite a few brand new M/Cs to local police depts.

I've posted this before, that when I spoke with a H-D VP in Milwaukee, they said that Harley will do anything to keep their share of the market and said that they strongly feel that that 8 yr old boy riding in his father's car looks out and see a motor cop in the next lane, that when that boy reaches 18 yrs of age and looks to buy a M/C he will in the back of his mind recall seeing that cop on that Harley.

I think I actually do recall that myself and the officer was on a Harley - but as I got older and maybe, maybe not smarter I learned to run the opposite direction. There truly is no comparison between the two. I also happen to think a Chief that is willing to put his/her officers' on a Harley over a BMW has either no experience at being a motor officer or simply doesn't care about the welfare of the officer. To be clear here I have never been an officer so maybe I'm off base on this but having ridden both machines I don't know how many times i find it incomprehensible that an individual in charge would put someone on a Harley over a BMW.

Unfortunately, cops do not buy the motorcycles. In our community, a tight fisted city manager and city council make the decision solely on price. When I worked for the local police department (civilian) the cops loved the BMWs, but their opinion did not matter. The real issue was the deal Harley had at the time. They basically had a deal that was a lease/buyback program that put the price of a new bike at a net cost of almost nothing. This coupled with the added maintenance cost of a non-"murican-made" bike killed the deals.

Unfortunately, cops do not buy the motorcycles. In our community, a tight fisted city manager and city council make the decision solely on price. When I worked for the local police department (civilian) the cops loved the BMWs, but their opinion did not matter. The real issue was the deal Harley had at the time. They basically had a deal that was a lease/buyback program that put the price of a new bike at a net cost of almost nothing. This coupled with the added maintenance cost of a non-"murican-made" bike killed the deals.

Exactly sums it all up with regard to just about all US agencies.

I was at Long Beach BMW a few days ago and took the opportunity to chat with a CHP motor officer -
He said that they're not getting any more new BMWs, but they'll be getting Harleys - purely due to financial considerations.

Back