Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Too bad BMW does want to sell cop motorcycles........

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by motorman587 View Post
    Adding to the reason why posted this post. In years that I have dealt with police motorcycle and that is going on 19 years I have seen the BMW police sales rep, maybe twice. The Harley police rep at least if not more than 2 to 3 times a year. I know that police sales for Harley is a big market and probably why they put in so much support for law enforcement. BMW could do the same, if they wanted too.
    Don't feel too bad. Dealers don't see the rep either. BMW is barely a blip on the radar screen when comparing unit sales to H-D.

Yes, I'm sure BMW could do the same. They already do to some extent here in Bergen County where their corporate HQs is located. They also give away quite a few brand new M/Cs to local police depts.

I've posted this before, that when I spoke with a H-D VP in Milwaukee, they said that Harley will do anything to keep their share of the market and said that they strongly feel that that 8 yr old boy riding in his father's car looks out and see a motor cop in the next lane, that when that boy reaches 18 yrs of age and looks to buy a M/C he will in the back of his mind recall seeing that cop on that Harley.

Sure see a lot of new RTP bikes coming out of crates at long beach bmw, bikes look pretty well set up except for department radio and gun rack. Explained to me that the harness is factory installed so equipment is plug and play
    FYI police in downtown Amsterdam ride yamaha 230 street legal dirt bikes, so they can maneuver the narrow streets. Side arm, hand held radio and a MP5 slung over their shoulder, all they have

BMW Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicVW View Post
    Yes, I'm sure BMW could do the same. They already do to some extent here in Bergen County where their corporate HQs is located. They also give away quite a few brand new M/Cs to local police depts.

I've posted this before, that when I spoke with a H-D VP in Milwaukee, they said that Harley will do anything to keep their share of the market and said that they strongly feel that that 8 yr old boy riding in his father's car looks out and see a motor cop in the next lane, that when that boy reaches 18 yrs of age and looks to buy a M/C he will in the back of his mind recall seeing that cop on that Harley.
    I think I actually do recall that myself and the officer was on a Harley - but as I got older and maybe, maybe not smarter I learned to run the opposite direction. There truly is no comparison between the two. I also happen to think a Chief that is willing to put his/her officers' on a Harley over a BMW has either no experience at being a motor officer or simply doesn't care about the welfare of the officer. To be clear here I have never been an officer so maybe I'm off base on this but having ridden both machines I don't know how many times i find it incomprehensible that an individual in charge would put someone on a Harley over a BMW.

Rally Rat
    Unfortunately, cops do not buy the motorcycles. In our community, a tight fisted city manager and city council make the decision solely on price. When I worked for the local police department (civilian) the cops loved the BMWs, but their opinion did not matter. The real issue was the deal Harley had at the time. They basically had a deal that was a lease/buyback program that put the price of a new bike at a net cost of almost nothing. This coupled with the added maintenance cost of a non-"murican-made" bike killed the deals.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBarnhart View Post
    Unfortunately, cops do not buy the motorcycles. In our community, a tight fisted city manager and city council make the decision solely on price. When I worked for the local police department (civilian) the cops loved the BMWs, but their opinion did not matter. The real issue was the deal Harley had at the time. They basically had a deal that was a lease/buyback program that put the price of a new bike at a net cost of almost nothing. This coupled with the added maintenance cost of a non-"murican-made" bike killed the deals.
    Exactly sums it all up with regard to just about all US agencies.

I was at Long Beach BMW a few days ago and took the opportunity to chat with a CHP motor officer -
    He said that they're not getting any more new BMWs, but they'll be getting Harleys - purely due to financial considerations.