• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to lubricate saddlebag/top box latches, R-bikes and K-bikes, 2005 and up

The latches on my saddlebags and top box are very hard to operate. To depress the button, I put the key in the button, and give it a sharp rap. Then I pull on the latch that pops up, but that also requires too much strength. The latch actually pushes/pulls a stainless-steel metal strip back and forth, to engage/disengage the catches. How do I lubricate them? I don't see how to get any lubricant onto the back side of the metal strip.

My bike is a 2005 R1200 RT, but I had the same problem on the R1200 ST that I had before that, and also on a K1300 GT.

I find that "leaning into" the bag with my leg helps open them. Just a small nudge in when pushing the button down does the trick, perhaps that might help in the interim. I've never taken one of the bags apart (I always end up with spare parts after) so I can't help on the cleaning.

I find that "leaning into" the bag with my leg helps open them. Just a small nudge in when pushing the button down does the trick, perhaps that might help in the interim. I've never taken one of the bags apart (I always end up with spare parts after) so I can't help on the cleaning.

I do thing same thing both when latching and unlatching. It takes a lot of stress off the latch mechanism and I can be sure the bag will close before trying to latch it. I'm sure others do the same.

I do thing same thing both when latching and unlatching. It takes a lot of stress off the latch mechanism and I can be sure the bag will close before trying to latch it. I'm sure others do the same.

+2 - even with my starboard side bag which is fairly new.. (only about 15,000 miles on it.)

Need more info - hard-to-operate latches on bags and top boxes

The suggestions about leaning on the bags to make the latches easier to operate, are good.

The other half of my question is, how to make the "button" easier to push in? Does that have to do with shortening the push wire as described in the referenced posting on BMWSportTouring? The problem is particularly hard on the top box - have to insert the key in the lock, and give it a hard shove with the heel of the hand. Any suggestions?

Thanks! I don't know how we ever kept our bikes operative, "back in the day" before forums!

Bruce, in Florida

On the button issue, I think that is the design of the box. The spring seems to be very hard to over come. It does not matter if the box is latched, unlatched, or open, the button is just hard to push. I agree, wish it were easier.

Back