• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS install puzzler

karlfitt

I am mounting my Garmin Zumo 450 to my 2004 R 1100 S

I mounted it and it didn't work, this will be the fourth bike this mount has been one.
I tested and I had power up to the mount, so I figured something had gone wrong with the mount, so I ordered a new one.

New mount gets here, still no workie.

So I ordered a new power cable. Before I mounted it to the bike I tested it with the battery I have in my garage that is for my trailer. Works great. Get it on the bike and no workie again.

No, it can't be a CAN bus issue, I am powering it directly from the battery.
Again this is the fourth bike I have hooked up this way, first three were 1994 R 1100 RS, 2004 K 1200 RS, 2002 Ducati ST4s

I checked voltages, on the bike I have 13.47 volts at the mount.
On my bench I have 13.35 Volts

Any Ideas??

TIA,
Karl

It's not clear to me if you can get the GPS to work on the bench in the cradle, or in a car in a second cradle?

There is only the battery, cable, cradle, or GPS that can be checked. It sounds like you get power to the cradle...

Can you give more details?

After looking at your install, I wondered if you checked the fuse? Flexed the cable on the bench to see if there is problem with it?

And, rechecked that ground?

Really can't be too much with such a direct connection. Frustrating, for sure.

Polarity.

I have never worked on this bike before.

Battery is under the tank, which I did not remove because I had access to the terminals with it on.

I ASSumed that the terminal with the plastic cover on it was the positive terminal. But no.:banghead

Ah yes. You're the ONLY person on the planet to make that mistake....:hungover

Rule number one when working on electrical devices - ALWAYS test with a VOM before moving forward.

Simple mistake, simple solution - last thing we thing of when we're running into problems. BTDT....:wave

Back