• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'05 K1200LT Questions about comm jacks

INNKEEPER22

Innkeeper
Bike: K1200 LT (2005)

This bike had a Garmin GPS installed at time of purchase and am switching to a 7" wide Magellan so that I can see the screen w/o putting on my glasses.
I intend to hard wire from the battery a fused cigar receptacle to power the Magellan GPS and run the wires under the right fairings so the cigar receptacle will be permanently under the front seat with just the GPS end coming out of the location where the previous GPS wiring was. Does this meet with your approval?
The old GPS wiring where one connector plugged into the left side of the Garmin and another connector that plugged into the right side of the Garmin were taped as I cut off the original plugs and hid the wiring under the left side fairing. Question 2: Was one of those connectors a comm and if so - could I strip them and identify a left and right speaker wire and wire them to a 3.5mm female receptor that I could then plug into my earbuds?
Question 3: I will still need another visible cigar lighter to use as a receptacle for other plug in's from time to time while the GPS is plugged and in use. Should I hard wire that also with a fuse and run it under the fairing and if so where would you recommend I cut the hole for the cigar receptacle to come out. It is approx. 3" long so there needs to be space under the fairing for clearance.
Any thoughts and advice will be appreciated.

05 LT Comm Power

I have an 06 LT and tapped into the map light above the gauges to provide power for the GPS on my BMR shelf. I wired in a cig lighter female and have about four inches of lead so it lays on the shelf.

Back