• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My 1994 K75S getting that old?

Slipster

Slipster
Took a ride west on OK Route 66 this past Saturday. Stopped at the Rock Cafe in Stroud for breakfast then headed further west to Warwick.

Warwick, OK. is a very small dot on the map with a cool 1924 DX Gas Station that is now a Motorcycle Museum. http://www.seabastation.com

I parked out front and went in to take pics and stretch my legs. A group of 10 riders followed in behind me all from Italy.

When I went back out to the bike there were 2 young men riding brand new Harleys with dealer tags still in place.

They were standing by my bike giving it a look over. They asked me what year it was. I replied that it was a '94 Brick and they replied, "Sure is in great shape for a bike that old".

One young gent then went on to tell me that "It should be inside the museum here, amazing that you are still riding it"

If you don't ride them they will die, I respectfully replied. :rolleyes

Another great ride on Route 66. Car shows, Parades, a wine tasting festival and lots of riders out for a spin.

I wasn't quite sure how to take it when a friend and fellow rider referred to my '87 as "vintage."

"Hey! It was new when I was in high school!"

Oddly, people think my Ural is vintage and the K has the historic tags:lol

Attachments

• tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 240
You should have seen the looks and heard the discussions that my 1985 K100RT started when we rode it to North Carolina. "Vintage, Classic, and the ever popular, "You rode that all the way here?!". And that was from fellow BMW riders!

Yet, some people look at the early K bike and think they are a new model. Just happened to me last Saturday. Go figure.

Yes it is getting old. So are you so what is the problem?

K=bikes go 200,000 miles easy and the new ones may not make it that far without a rebuild.

If you enjoy it, ride it. If your hung up on having the coolest and newest bike, then sell it and trade up/out every 2 - 3 years. Why you'd do that is beyond me. With as smooth as the K75 is, I'd be hard pressed to make a change

at a nation rally, few years back. We stopped for a break, next to a motor home, in the motor home was some younger people and an older couple riding a 2007 BMW, can't remember model. He was 92 years young and she was 89.

At the rally they came in second in oldest combination, rider age + passengers age + age of bike. Th lost to a couple who were in their late 60's and their BMW was a 1932 model.

Let ride long and hard, also ride what you got, no matter what the age.

Stopped at a local "Two Wheel Tuesday" event some years back, when my 94 RS had only 155,000 miles on it (172,000 now). Parked next to some Harleys. As I was taking off my jacket one guy says, "Wow! Lots of miles on it, what year and how many engine rebuilds?"

I replied, "94 and zero, all original engine that I have never had to go into. Just regular maintenance."

They looked on in disbelief. I quietly chuckled to myself.

Our club, and BMWs, were the featured bikes at a cruise night event three years ago. I made up a poster board that listed the top ten high miles bikes ridden and parked there, totalling over 1.5 Million Miles ridden on bikes still being ridden every day. No trailer queens. My bike was number five on the list.

Beemerphiles are a little pre-occupied with high mileage numbers (eg., all the distance awards at the national) Harley folks the attraction seems to be chrome, sound, or herd instincts. My K has 186,000, painted cameo and I ride alone generally. :nyah

Back