• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Check this out:)

Polarbear

Polarbear
I have been off my GSA1200'07 a few weeks now, shoulder surgery! GOT back on my steed today, riding the Sierra Mountains behind my home for maybe 130 miles this morning, all smiles. THE SHOCKER, was I rode at a leisure pace and got this GSA1200 to 51mpg's, WOW:). I have never achieved this in my 5+ years with this bike and its always been one of my biggest gripes about this bike. YES, I rode slower than almost ever before, BUT getting my GSA1200 to over 50 mpg's has me excited. Had a great ride. 51.1 mpg:). Yes, Dorothy, there is a yellow brick road for GSAers too, LOL. Go slower:). Sure, I poked around a lot this AM around the mountains, but getting the BIG GS to this level had me grinning. I'll be right back in basement soon. Randy

50 mpg

I believe you. While doing a lot of sightseeing type of riding on my very loaded 2 up GS in Arizona, New Mexico I was constantly getting 50 mpg or very close to it. However, when I returned to Texas, at 70mph+, against the wind, the mileage went back to it's normal high 30's or low 40's depending on riding style and wind direction.

Actually my old equation holds pretty true, + 10 mph = -10 mpg.

Lot of aero drag with motorcycles, so this holds true with all of them.

Plus IIRC the OP is old enough to be mature enough to not buy the "keep the revs up" fantasy.

Right on:)

I'm in my 60s decade now and point so well taken. I still love my cruising at 75-80 in deserts and the West where Coyotes run faster too. Just no need to always be rush rush everywhere we go anymore. If you've not taken the time recently to slow your pace, just once in a while, you're missing the point all together. I found last year, riding across the famed Hwy12 in Utah I have ridden dozens of times and mostly fast, I slowed way down, riding with folks that had never seen the highway on their bikes and we just stopped and saw all the sights, no rush. One of my BEST days ever thru there and only 200 miles total that day:). Same was yesterday I spoke of above, just the cruise pace is equally fun, IF you're able:). My majority of touring days are still 400-600 mile days and the ability to cut one of those days in half sometimes is pure bliss:). Is it age? The mpg's on a GSA sure perk up(flying bricks), when you smell the roses more. Randy

30kmi @50MPG@$4.00/GAL=$2400.00

30kmi@40mpg@$4.00/GAL=$3000.00

probably takes the average rider 4 years to get to 30kmi
this is a savings of $150.00 year.

about the cost of a tire

Last edited:
Well Randy, My hats off to you!... Thats quite a feat to get over 50 mpg! I wish my '12GS would get anything close to that. I average <42 according to my computer and I really dont ride all that hard (at least I don't think so :rolleyes)
Hope your shoulder feels better

30kmi@40mpg@$4.00/GAL=$3000.00

probably takes the average rider 4 years to get to 30kmi
this is a savings of $150.00 year.

about the cost of a tire

The OP said "getting the BIG GS to this level had me grinning". The question may be what makes us grin.

Best mileage I ever got on my 06 RT was trailing behind a student who was on her first liter bike in the twisties at 35 to 45 mph. Running in 3rd gear most of that time showed 53mpg WOW!

I'm Afraid;

My riding habits have me much faster on my GSA1200, so my one day in the light will not be too regular:(. 38-41mpg is my normal gas usage. When I hit 51.1 the other day, it was a smile moment just seeing that happen on this boat anchor of a m/c. The GSA is no pretty faired gas sipper. I still love it for all it does, however. My past 5 years on this GSA have been some of the best ever on ALL my BMWs, 42 years now:). My wife rides KLR650'08 that we set all up in touring mode too. Opposite end of spectrum in DS bikes and dollars invested vs. GSA. Around 70 is her most comfy speed on that bike, so maybe I follow more:), when with her. Both the above bikes have performed almost flawlessly for 5 years, the KLR having less issues of the two. 50mpg is regular on the KLR and close to 60mpg the other day on it, as we rode together. My canyon carving ways are still with me, so I buy more gas. The other day was so out of my ordinary riding style, just had to brag what slow pace does:). It was cool:). Randy

Improved mileage

I have been off my GSA1200'07 a few weeks now, shoulder surgery! GOT back on my steed today, riding the Sierra Mountains behind my home for maybe 130 miles this morning, all smiles. THE SHOCKER, was I rode at a leisure pace and got this GSA1200 to 51mpg's, WOW:). I have never achieved this in my 5+ years with this bike and its always been one of my biggest gripes about this bike. YES, I rode slower than almost ever before, BUT getting my GSA1200 to over 50 mpg's has me excited. Had a great ride. 51.1 mpg:). Yes, Dorothy, there is a yellow brick road for GSAers too, LOL. Go slower:). Sure, I poked around a lot this AM around the mountains, but getting the BIG GS to this level had me grinning. I'll be right back in basement soon. Randy

I have been getting a rock solid 44 mpg with my GSA 1200 '11 for the last 3000 miles. I always thought gas additives didn't work but I ran a tank with carb/injector cleaner and now 48 mpg with 3000 more miles of the same riding. Did the Biltmore Estate RA rally last weekend and it is still hanging at 48 MPG. Has anyone else tried additives with a similar result?

Techron:)

I know this stuff works great, but I only add it every 6 months or so. My last three tanks of GSA gas has had me in the exceptional HIGHER mpg's range for this bike, GSA1200'07. All three tanks have averaged 46-48mpg:). All Sierra Mountains riding and noticeably slower pace, last 1200 miles. This GSA has NEVER had this good mpg's, since new. I am a Math Guy, so I always double check my computer and odometer and GPS, thru my head, just to see if computer stays accurate. Yes, it has been so. I know slab running or open desert higher speeds, the mpg's will drain the tank as before, BUT my happiness has risen a level or two, knowing I can achieve the better mpg's with less desire to be first wherever I go:). Growing older has a benefit not spoke of often enough perhaps? Not having to race from point A to point B pays dividends and the fun factor still prevails. Randy

Back