• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Left turn signal swith is intermittent 2005 R1200RT

Tonyfr

Are we there yet?
I have an '05 R1200RT that is having a problem with the left turn indicator working. I sprayed the switch with contact cleaner and it worked for a while, but it is acting up again. Can someone point me to the OEM fiche that shows the turn signal assembly? I looked at the A&S Cycle and Realoem.com sites but I did not see the part listed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an '05 R1200RT that is having a problem with the left turn indicator working. I sprayed the switch with contact cleaner and it worked for a while, but it is acting up again. Can someone point me to the OEM fiche that shows the turn signal assembly? I looked at the A&S Cycle and Realoem.com sites but I did not see the part listed.

Handlebar combi switch as follows:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51560&rnd=04302013 and then go to the Steering section Diagram #32_0929.

Front turn indicator as follows:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51560&rnd=04302013 and then go to the Lighting section diagram #63_0924.

Hope this helps.

The combi switch is the location, but the switch shown at #15 is for the clutch. don't see the switch for the turn indicator.

The combi switch is the location, but the switch shown at #15 is for the clutch. don't see the switch for the turn indicator.

I don't seem to be able to link to the exact screen by section for some reason although I am using a Mac so maybe there's an issue with this site and Mac. But first I owe you an apology as I provided wrong location. Sorry.

When you get to the Max home page click on "Fiche" in the upper left corner of your screen. The next screen will allow you to enter the last 7 characters of your vin and that will bring you to the correct unit. Then click on Section 61 - Electrical System as found at the top of the screen in the index. Then click on diagram #61_1639.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51560&rnd=04302013

Look towards the right side of the image and you will see the pair of combi's, #1 and #2. Beware there are a number of combi's offered and it is easy to order the wrong one. By entering your vin you will be left with product that fits your bike although there still may be various combi's to choose from. There are also pictures of the switches themselves within the parts column. I would recommend having your dealer choose the part number so if the wrong switch is ordered it becomes the dealers fault and not yours. Depending on your relationship with your dealer this could save you a restock fee possibly. Sometimes there are parts which are very similar but will not interchange. This particular part falls into that category and mistakes in ordering at the dealer level are more likely to happen.

Hope this helps out. The drawing is lacking in any kind of real detail.

I did use the contact cleaner and it worked for about a week. It did start to act up again and I sprayed it again and it worked. I just need a permanent solution, so I would like to replace the switch. In 90,000 miles, this is only the second electrical part to fail. ;)

I looked at the fiche, and it looks like I need to replace the whole assembly (not!) - I'll just take it apart and try to clean it thoroughly.

You'll be fitting a new switch eventually and best bet is to go to your dealer, who is more likely to order the correct version the first time than you are looking at Internet sites, and if they make a mistake, they'll fix it at no cost to you save time.

Tony(?)

Please read: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?46055 - I've added that info to your thread title. Since the switches have changed on the hexheads/camheads through the years this info is useful to have in the thread title.

You may also want to search Ebay. People who are adding ASC to their bikes often have the used switch without the ASC button for sale inexpensively on Ebay. Might save a decent amount of money.

You may also want to search Ebay. People who are adding ASC to their bikes often have the used switch without the ASC button for sale inexpensively on Ebay. Might save a decent amount of money.

I looked at the fiche and there are only about three different switches. Mine would be the one without the ASC or BC. Just a plain old switch for the economy RT. :)

I looked at the fiche and there are only about three different switches. Mine would be the one without the ASC or BC. Just a plain old switch for the economy RT. :)

I believe in that case - any of the switches will work. BMW added the ASC/OBC control buttons to the stock assembly.. There are probably some additional pins in the plug connecting them, but they'll have no place to go, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I believe in that case - any of the switches will work. BMW added the ASC/OBC control buttons to the stock assembly.. There are probably some additional pins in the plug connecting them, but they'll have no place to go, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Hey, post up a picture of your Porsche.

I believe for the 2005-2009 models ASC was always switched from an add-on switch box and the control was never available in combination with the turn/high beam, etc. unit. At least that's how it looks at realoem and when I retrofitted ASC to my 2008 there was no discussion about anything but the auxiliary switch carrier.

Now for my 2012, I indeed now have a left over left-side main switch from retrofitting ASC.

Back