• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting bike on centerstand with lowered shocks

Good Morning Kevin! Having a bike lowered by 1/2" and experiencing your centre stand dilemma, I would suggest that first you start with a little less board than a 2/x4; you might find this just a little too high. I'd start with maybe a one inch board. However, I do not believe anyone mentioned having a board in place for your side stand. Without this board, your bike will lean precariously to the left when you dismount. My trick has been to have the side stand and rear board in place in my garage and simply ride over it with the front tire and stop when the rear wheel rides onto to it. Something wider that a two by four makes for an easier target to stop on. When parking my K bike backwards in the garage (slight uphill in the garage), I'll use a tapered piece of 2x12x18. It is easy to get the bike onto the centre stand but more of pain getting it off as it still sits on the board.

Best of luck.
Actually - if the sidestand hasn't been shortened, the lower suspension means the bike leans LESS rather than more. It can cause a problem parallel parking on a crowned road (you learn to back it into the space so it's perpendicular to the curb..)

Greetings
In following the posts I noticed on poster mentioned his center stand would "scrape" on his lowered bike at lean angles. That is an extremely dangerous situation. In a turn a solid item like a center stand attached to the frame that touches pavement will lift the rear wheel thus crashing the bike! That's why footpegs are hinged. That's also why there are so many safety devices around getting the side stand up before moving. Anything thats solid that contacts at lean angles has got to be removed before operating the bike. Unless of course your not intending to lean, in which case you should consider going to a sidecar.
It's dangerous enough out there on to wheels, don't expand the danger with ill thought out mods.
Safety First

Will,

I agree - safety first.. but I wonder about this claim. I've measured a number of shorter suspension setups for lowering a bike. In only one case (my bike) is the minimum compressed shock distance different from the stock shock. What does change is the maximum fully extended shock distance, effectively lowering the seat/chassis when the suspension is fully extended.

What this means is the suspension can not compress any further than the standard suspension. That's the case with the BMW lowered suspension, Hyperpro and Wilbers. Ohlins AFAIK doesn't offer a lower suspension. Mine only compresses more due to a change in the design from how it came from Hyperpro, and it was done with my full knowledge that it could cause touchdown of a footpeg feeler earlier than a stock suspension if I was cornering vigorously. I have never been accused of cornering vigorously. I think if this poster did scrape the center stand (wonder how he missed the footpegs, they touch well before the centerstand ever would), I suspect he'd do the same with a stock suspension setup.

It is something to be aware of - and I don't suggest anyone do what I did (I did it for a very specific reason).. but all the shock makers I've encountered have taken that into account. There might be one or two who don't.. and in that case I'd ask what the minimum compressed shock length is - and compare it to stock.

Actually - if the sidestand hasn't been shortened, the lower suspension means the bike leans LESS rather than more. It can cause a problem parallel parking on a crowned road (you learn to back it into the space so it's perpendicular to the curb..)

Don, I was referring to the side stand's lean angle when the rear wheel is sitting up on a board. On my K100RT, the lean angle increase considerably in this situation. On the street, not a problem.

Don, I was referring to the side stand's lean angle when the rear wheel is sitting up on a board. On my K100RT, the lean angle increase considerably in this situation. On the street, not a problem.

Hi Paul,

Sorry - that wasn't clear to me. Although if the board is only as thick as the amount the suspension was lowered - the lean angle should be the same as a bike with a standard suspension.

Best,

Center stand '06 RT

On a loaded bike with lowered suspension try putting a 14" piece of 1.5" PVC tubing on the center stand lever. Pack when you go on a tour. Try it after you get done laughing!!!! :)

Back