• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator IV GPS microSD card requirements/limits?

damons

Anyone know what the requirements or limits for the add on microSD card for the Navigator IV GPS. Is there a maximum size you can use? is there a minimum or maximum class that one can use?

Thanks

Class 10 is fine, but hold the memory size to more than 8 gig. Anymore than that and you may run into trouble. I tried a 32 gig and it was not well received at all. So far, no problems with the 8 gig. Same unit as a Garmin 660 internally. I just bought one of those for another one of my bikes and it says 8 gig is max.

Exerting lots of effort (you should thank me) I opened up my Nav IV Owner's Manual and found the answer on page 42.

Class 10 is fine, but hold the memory size to more than 8 gig. Anymore than that and you may run into trouble. I tried a 32 gig and it was not well received at all. So far, no problems with the 8 gig. Same unit as a Garmin 660 internally. I just bought one of those for another one of my bikes and it says 8 gig is max.

On one of the Zumo specific forums this has been discussed, and in general - reports are that the 660's will reliably read 16Gb cards if you have the latest firmware update. This update fixed the problem where the Zumo would sometimes not find MP3 files saved on the memory card. In general - a good rule of thumb for laying out your MP3 structure is:

\\root\mp3\album-title\track, track, track, etc - with a max of about 15 tracks per album.

This allows for faster indexing of the MP3 tracks. I currently have 2,700 tracks saved on an 8Gb microSD card, and while there is a startup delay of about 60-90 seconds before my map images appear, everything else works quite reliably finally. There is a matching updated firmware for the NAV-IV that fixes the same problem (I believe it's version 2.90 - but I don't have a NAV-IV to check that on, I did do an update of a friends after he bricked it with his Mac trying to do an update.)

Anyone know what the requirements or limits for the add on microSD card for the Navigator IV GPS. Is there a maximum size you can use? is there a minimum or maximum class that one can use?

Thanks

If you use Garmin BaseCamp and wish to store data on the SD card... a 4 GB is recommended, but many use up to 8 GB....
in order to quickly draw the data needed to display.

Hope this helps.

Back