• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need fellow members help in emailing BMW executives about my defective bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
....... Then the membership would have to buy into the proposition that our purpose for existing has changed.

This is one of the better clubs on the planet, no doubt about it. I don't think anyone was proposing to change the purpose of the club. The purpose should remain as is. However, there is nothing wrong with adding some type of consumer advocate so to speak. It would perhaps be beneficial if hundreds of people could be heard at corporate given many of the allegations. If the membership feels otherwise they have every right to say so.

There are two threads on this subject.

This post by Greg Feeler in the other thread answers this issue.

I have been aware of your posts and this topic for some time, so perhaps my comments might help clarify a few points, and to be clear, my comments do not reflect in any way my views of the validity or lack thereof of your complaints.

The BMW MOA is not the right organization to represent the interests of, or become an advocate for, large numbers of aggrieved owners for several reasons. First, a large number of our members would not want us to take on such a role because it would be in conflict with the often expressed desire by our membership that we work "more closely" with BMW in order to provide more "inside" information, access to promotions and discounts, and more presence by BMW at our events. Secondly, and much more to the point here, such a task is just beyond the scope and purpose of the club. Any group that wants to make their case with a larger international company has to do their homework and have a vast body of hard empirical evidence documenting severe and excessive harm (financial or safety) because of that company's products or services. Documented cases have to be collected and validated and then a statistical basis established to (hopefully) prove some contention. Then negotiations would be opened with the company, and if not resolved by dialog or mediation, then the claimants would have to be prepared for a potentially long and expensive legal battle. Anything less would debase the credibility of their resolve right from the beginning, and greatly reduce their chances for a (to them) satisfactory resolution. Like it or not, in our current litigious society companies believe they must defend themselves against product defect claims to avoid punishing jury awards.

Clearly - at least to me and every Board of Directors I've served on for the last ten years - such a mission is way outside our mandate as a motorcycle club who's purpose is to build a community of BMW riders. Additionally, to spend club money and resources would be highly divisive since many would not support it. It's for exactly this reasons that we have a formal policy that the MOA is apolitical. We do not get involved in any "motorcycle rights" fight - not because we don't think defending our right to ride is not important. It is - and in my personal opinion highly important. But, there are other organizations specifically dedicated to that fight and those who believe in that mission can and should join them and support their work.

All of this is not to say that the MOA over the years has not had private discussions with officials at BMW Motorrad USA and BMW AG in Germany about customer satisfaction issues. We have, and on some occasions believe some good was accomplished. But, our goal was not some wholesale admission by BMW of a claimed defect with their products.

There are a lot of venues for someone to build interest in their cause, and especially so in this age when a web site costs a few dollars a month. However, it would seem very important to identify those options quickly and pursue them rather than, as in this case, rail against the MOA for not doing something for which is is not equipped.

Then this response from the OP

I agree with every thing you said.

Case closed?

I'm going riding today. Hope everyone else gets a chance to ride as well. :wave

BMW Motorrad & Lack of Action

Been following this debate about Randy's problems with BMW NA with alarmed interest.

Over here in Oz we do have similar problems, I suspect our Trade Practices Act is tougher than US national laws & state consumer laws. Here we have a "fit for purpose test" and on my reading Randy's bike was never fit for purpose.

We are a small market for BMW in Australia but there have been a number of BMW owners who never got satisfaction.

BMW NAs attitude must have something to do with certain other Teutonic manufacturers, ie it's in the culture of the fatherland. In Oz, VW have fought a long, mostly private battle, not to act in a fair and reasonable manner on warranty claims on its Polo, Golf, and lesser, Jetta lines, particularly with EMS and DSG gearboxes. In Melbourne, a woman , travelling on a freeway at 100kph, barely survived a rear end shunt from a B-double truck when her engine management system shut off her motor instantly. as the truckie said, I saw no brake lights.

Now the matter is well & truly in the spotlight of the " court of current affairs " TV shows, and VW is squirming in the glare of the public spotlight, but apparently still protesting its not a systemic issue worthy of a product recall, despite the volume of complaints

Maybe that's the answer-go public on consumer affairs TV programs - works here, along with, you guessed it, a face book campaign. Just ask the major retailers here in Oz.

One final comment on whether MOA should act as an ombudsman for BMW product complaints. If the arrangement between MOA and BMW NA is anything like that between BMW Aust and our "BMW" clubs( cars and bikes ), BMW hold the reins. They control everything, just for the privilege of affiliation, right down to club logos ( no roundel anymore ) and what goes into a newsletter, in return for a few measly accessories for raffles. They are control freaks ( it's known to lawyers as controlling the brand)

Good luck Randy - more strength to your arm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back